22/23 Off season - what must be done?

Yeah that's spot on, he was in great form until then, a lot of people on here haven't taken notice that I think Olam is the only person to beat him 1 on 1 resulting in a try this season. Has been safe as houses come up most of the time, has made 7-8 genuine try savers and has been dangerous when we actually get him the ball in good positions.

We are kind of turning him into Fifita just chuck him the ball and hope he pulls off a miracle. In his first 2 years most of his tries were off overlaps and having to beat maybe 1 or 2 people.

This early ball shit just isolates him against 3-4 people every time, all of his tries and linebreaks this year were just freakish individual brilliance. If we can implement him into our attacking shapes more and set up feasible try scoring situations for him then I'm sure we'll see those stats go back to where they were.
Staggs wants early ball ,he has to want to change his style. Hitting a gap for instance, developing a backhanded flick pass.
He hasn't developed as a player and that's largely on him.
His defence is ok one on one , as you point out, but his misreads are horrible. Rushes up out of the line at exactly the wrong time and leaves his winger isolated.
That's a trust issue either with his inside man or the system.

How could this same team flog the Dragons mid season @ Suncorp during an origin week and then lose in the final round when the Broncos had everything to play for and the Dragons nothing?

I don't like to throw out the "Origin" excuse but when we had a consistent playing group in the first half of the year... I mean hell people were joking about putting up a Reynold's statue at Suncorp we looked that good at times.

Then you have Origin, you have Reynold's in and out of the team, you have guys suspended and injured and by the end of the season you have a team playing musical chairs with a revolving door of characters. Add a relatively new head coach who's answer is throwing around platitudes about heart, passion, softness... all whimsical nonsense.

Do we lack the depth for a full season of ups and downs? Is it something the coach staff can possibly fix? How do other teams manage it?
The Dragons were missing Ben Hunt. They also had Macca at hooker. Dragons without Hunt is like Melbourne without Hughes. Cowboys without Dearden. Panthers without Cleary.

Meanwhile, we were missing a few players, but most notably Jake Turpin. Gamble was on the bench.

How could this same team flog the Dragons mid season @ Suncorp during an origin week and then lose in the final round when the Broncos had everything to play for and the Dragons nothing?

I don't like to throw out the "Origin" excuse but when we had a consistent playing group in the first half of the year... I mean hell people were joking about putting up a Reynold's statue at Suncorp we looked that good at times.

Then you have Origin, you have Reynold's in and out of the team, you have guys suspended and injured and by the end of the season you have a team playing musical chairs with a revolving door of characters. Add a relatively new head coach who's answer is throwing around platitudes about heart, passion, softness... all whimsical nonsense.

Do we lack the depth for a full season of ups and downs? Is it something the coach staff can possibly fix? How do other teams manage it?
That’s why I don’t think we should be too concerned. We showed we can mix it with the best for most of the season. We’re in the middle of a roster overhaul, so depth is an issue. To me we just ran out of steam, and our draw didn’t help as we came up against experienced, hard-nosed teams making their run at the back end of the season.
Some depth and learned lessons from this season and hopefully we see better results next season.
Of course I could be way off and we are back to square one.

The thing with the whole “running out of steam” thing, too me it screams bad defensive structure and commitment with first contact, therefore leading to them having to scramble for most of the season and that’s why they “ran out of steam” at the back end.

our defence is the issue and has been the issue for 5 years. Is it the coaching? Or is it the type of player we recruit? I think it’s a bit of both.

The thing with the whole “running out of steam” thing, too me it screams bad defensive structure and commitment with first contact, therefore leading to them having to scramble for most of the season and that’s why they “ran out of steam” at the back end.

our defence is the issue and has been the issue for 5 years. Is it the coaching? Or is it the type of player we recruit? I think it’s a bit of both.

Any decent attack coach could see Reynolds running out of the line every time they came his way .
Early season teams were making mistakes under pressure .

Late season teams were exploiting this . The Captain Coach with 250 games experience should have adjusted his tactic once the opposition started exploiting him and that structure .

On the other side you had Capewell running out of the line and taking the wrong man or getting shrugged off leaving Ezra to do the job .

Pretty ordinary from the 2 guys brought in to show the youngun`s how its done .

We’re in the middle of a roster overhaul, so depth is an issue.
Ikin has repeatedly said throughout the season the club is happy with who it already has and we're not really in the market. We haven't been visible bidders or named as interested parties in any of the prominent names that have circulated through the season.

Since then we've let the following players go:

Jamayne Isaako (flicked)
David Mead (retired)
Ryan James (retired)
Tyson Gamble (asked for release)
Jake Turpin (dumped)
Zac Hosking (jumped)
Rhys Kennedy (jumped)
Te Maire Martin (jumped)

These remain in limbo:
Albert Kelly
Billy Walters
Delouise Hoeter
Tyrone Roberts

Then there's this guy:
Payne Haas

We've added these:
Reece Walsh (he contacted us)
Jesse Arthars (futher extension rejected by Warriors)

And these are rumoured:
Daejarn Asi
Jack Ahearn
Ben Marschke

So is this an overhaul?

Ikin has repeatedly said throughout the season the club is happy with who it already has and we're not really in the market. We haven't been visible bidders or named as interested parties in any of the prominent names that have circulated through the season.

Jamayne Isaako (flicked)
David Mead (retired)
Ryan James (retired)
Jake Turpin (dumped)
Zac Hosking (jumped)
Rhys Kennedy (jumped)
Te Maire Martin (jumped)

These remain in limbo:
Albert Kelly
Billy Walters
Delouise Hoeter
Tyrone Roberts

Then there's this guy:
Payne Haas

We've added these:

And these are rumoured:
Daejarn Asi
Jack Ahearn
Ben Marschke

So is this an overhaul?
do you think there is money to spend or not?

Jamayne Isaako (flicked)
David Mead (retired)
Ryan James (retired)
Jake Turpin (dumped)
Zac Hosking (jumped)
Rhys Kennedy (jumped)
Te Maire Martin (jumped)

These remain in limbo:
Albert Kelly
Billy Walters
Delouise Hoeter
Tyrone Roberts

Then there's this guy:
Payne Haas

We've added these:

And these are rumoured:
Daejarn Asi
Jack Ahearn
Ben Marschke

So is this an overhaul?
Brenko Lee (jumped)

the Warriors were not permitted to extend Jesse Arthars, because he was already contracted to us for 2023

I'm really hoping for the offseason that we don't have too many players on a plane to UK for the World Cup.... they need a proper rest and a full offseason to get over injuries, get fitter, work on getting the squad back on the same page and buying back into what Kevvie had them believing earlier this season.

IMO Carrigan is probably the only player (on-form) who deserves to go. Will Haas make Mal's squad? I imagine that Stagg's and Tesi will play for Tonga? Will Herbie fit enough to play for England? Any other bolters?

I'm really hoping for the offseason that we don't have too many players on a plane to UK for the World Cup.... they need a proper rest and a full offseason to get over injuries, get fitter, work on getting the squad back on the same page and buying back into what Kevvie had them believing earlier this season.

IMO Carrigan is probably the only player (on-form) who deserves to go. Will Haas make Mal's squad? I imagine that Stagg's and Tesi will play for Tonga? Will Herbie fit enough to play for England? Any other bolters?
Haas, Carrigan and a long shot of Oates will make the Aus side.
Staggs, Tesi, Herbie, Mam, Palasia, Piakura, Robati and WIllison all chances of representing too.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Bongo
  • Ozired
  • I bleed Maroon
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Kev_Guz
  • marw
  • Painin the Haas
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Culhwch
  • Porthoz
  • Allo
  • Manlyman
  • Turks85
  • Griffo
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.