A genuine dilemma!

Last year, he was on the highlight reel shoulder charging some douche.

Anyway, drop it. You like Hunt, he likes Slater. You know eachother's opinion. Leave it.

Oh god, can we please not see this thread go down that very well trodden path??

Last year he wasn't defending at fullback now was he.

But you're right, things will get pety real soon if we let this up. And besides, if Slater keeps his current run up I'll have no problem saying he's a better Origin fullback than Hunt.

Slater is a better origin fullback than Hunt. Seriously is this arguement still going on.

This is a good thread Coxy. And a really difficult ask. I dunno, I'd have to have a good think about.

Definates would be Slater at fullback, Shearer on the wing, Civo, Webcke. No idea what to do about the Locky/Lewis dillema though. And I would have Steve Walters as the hooker.

How much lock did Lewis play in BRL out of curiosity? I think he only played 1 origin at lock in 1980.

Oh yeah, Locky just has to be there. Simply amazing. But if you'd ever seen Lewis play, you can't keep him out either. Lewis was also good at lock - but nothing like the awesomness of him playing 5/8.

I would just pip Locky over the line and put Lewis at Lock to have him in the team. But even that seems kind of wrong.

Glad this isn't reality.

The only solution to the Lewis / Lockyer dilemna is to put Lewis at Lock IMO. He would have the size and work rate to kill it there too, while the clinical ability, criativity, speed and brain of Locky would be best served in the 5/8 position, freeing up the FB spot for Slater too.
All the other spots in the team would be open for discussion, although I can't really go past Meninga and Inglis in the centres.

The Rock said:
I don't care what you do, Lockyer has to be in that side. Stick him in at prop FFS, he HAS to be in the starting 13.

Last night was proof that Lockyer is the best big game player that this game has seen. That 46 metre field goal...it wasn't a fluke. There was nothing doing, QLD were 46 metres out, but he saw it, he backed himself and he kicked it. IMO, Lockyer's field goal won the game for QLD. When it was 19-18 to QLD, NSW were pressured into getting down the other end of the field. And what happened? Intercept by Folau. Then on the next play QLD score to rap it up.

I wonder what would have happened if it was 18-18? NSW would have probably just tucked it under their arm, went forward and played it safe until golden point or until they were in a decent position to do something.

Lockyer's field goal in the first half really put a dent in NSW's hopes. It was a masterstroke.

And it was 46 metres FFS. It's just unbelievable the stuff that he comes up with to win a game. And this was Origin.

What makes it even better, is that he was pretty close to the sideline when he stuck it. It was a mammoth kick.

How about coming up with the 30 best players as a guide?

I'll start.

Wally Lewis (c)

The Rock said:
QLD should just simply list their top 17 players, not by position. That would be easier. I think.
The dilemna is making a genuíne team of 17 out of it, with the players in an actual field position.

Big Pete said:

I'll start.

Wally Lewis (c)

Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer
Allan Langer
Gorden Tallis
Greg Inglis
Petero Civinoceva
Steven Price
Shane Webcke
Cameron Smith
Johnathon Thurston
Adam Mogg

I would have to have Price and Civoniceva as my starting props. IMO the last few years they have both left Webcke behind.

gUt said:
Big Pete said:

I'll start.

Wally Lewis (c)

Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer
Allan Langer
Gorden Tallis
Greg Inglis
Petero Civinoceva
Steven Price
Shane Webcke
Cameron Smith
Johnathon Thurston
Adam Mogg

[icon_lol1. I see what you did there!!!!

Yeah... the Hunt v Slater argument is very much won. Hunt came no where close.

I think it comes down to this.
Personally I (like a lot of people) have taken a different stance on Billy the kid. He's still a cocky bastard at times but he's definitely grown in many ways from his early years.
I still think he has to put a few more yrs of service (which he will) for QLD before being named in the greatest 13. However when that time comes then you have a REAL debate on your hands.
So for now - I argue that Locky as to be 1 and Slater bides his time. (Likewise JT)

5 yrs from now there is a real big argument though - and surely by then GI, Slater, JT will cement their places... but where does that leave Alfie?

Guys guys. Slater has surpassed Lockyer as a fullback? Geez, he may well do in the future (doubt it) but reality is he has only played 2 good series at fullback (08 and 10) whereas Lockyer was outstanding in that position from 1998-2003. Even when QLD was getting thumped Lockyer would often still be one of the best players on the field. Look at game 2 in both the 2001 and 2003 series as evidence of that. At the moment Lockyer has that fullback jersey easily IMO. And Lewis has the 6. If you MUST have Slater in the side put him on the wing, but that would be an insult to Matty Sing and Dale Shearer.

And Lockyer's performance at fullback in the 2001 series was better than Slater's this series. Billy was brilliant no doubt, but over a series you won't see a better performance than Lockyer in 01.

Slater was amazing this year, but a bit all over the place in the years before. He also had more brain explosions than just about any fullback I've seen. He got rid of them this year, but he'll need to keep it up for a while yet before he can be considered anywhere near Locky's class.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  • Browny
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.