A genuine dilemma!

Greg, are you reading?

"Sorry Wally, Lockyer will will wear six in this outfit"
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-wear-six-in-this-outfit-20100708-102d2.html

The Unbeatables
1 Billy Slater (2010)

2 Dale Shearer (1989)

3 Greg Inglis (2010)

4 Mal Meninga (1989)

5 Israel Folau (2010)

6 Darren Lockyer (2010)

7 Allan Langer (1989)

8 Martin Bella (1989)

9 Cameron Smith (2010)

10 Petero Civoniceva (2010)

11 Paul Vautin (1989)

12 Sam Thaiday (2010)

13 Wally Lewis (1989, cap)

Interchange

14 Johnathan Thurston (2010)

15 Bob Lindner (1989)

16 Trevor Gillmeister (1989)

17 Nate Myles (2010)

guppy said:
Greg, are you reading?

"Sorry Wally, Lockyer will will wear six in this outfit"
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-wear-six-in-this-outfit-20100708-102d2.html

The Unbeatables
1 Billy Slater (2010)

2 Dale Shearer (1989)

3 Greg Inglis (2010)

4 Mal Meninga (1989)

5 Israel Folau (2010)

6 Darren Lockyer (2010)

7 Allan Langer (1989)

8 Martin Bella (1989)

9 Cameron Smith (2010)

10 Petero Civoniceva (2010)

11 Paul Vautin (1989)

12 Sam Thaiday (2010)

13 Wally Lewis (1989, cap)

Interchange

14 Johnathan Thurston (2010)

15 Bob Lindner (1989)

16 Trevor Gillmeister (1989)

17 Nate Myles (2010)

1 Change I would make - Shillington on the bench for Myles/Gillmeister.

That team is awesome. **** I love Queensland.

You couldnt take myles out scotty! he has been orsm for years

The guy laid some cable on a hotel hallway floor ffs. HE DESERVES IT. hah

Bannermania said:
The guy laid some cable on a hotel hallway floor ffs. HE DESERVES IT. hah

From what I heard it wasn't cable...it was more like resin.... ewwww.

Hahaha awesome. Even more reason to have a spot.

QUEENSLANDER said:

He has indeed but it looks like they are selecting from 1989 and 2010 exclusively, and Shillington has been friggin amazing this series.

Scotty said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

He has indeed but it looks like they are selecting from 1989 and 2010 exclusively, and Shillington has been friggin amazing this series.

agreed. If basing it on this series alone you would have Shillington over Myles...... just.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5890133873

He got around the issue by picking Lockyer at five-eighth and Lewis at lock, where he played in the first Origin match in 1980, and never again, for the Maroons.

The Sydney journo justified his choice by saying "playing at lock wouldn't shut the King out of the action". Perhaps, but let's not forget when Wayne Bennett played Lewis at lock at Broncos in 1989 to fit Kevin Walters into the side. Hardly a stunning success.

Wally wasn't a player you just moved to fit someone else into the team. They didn't call him the King for nothing. He had to rule the roost, run the show and drive the bus. Taking the No.6 jumper off him, even with the best intentions, seems like a demotion.

So the answer is to move Lockyer to fullback. "Not ahead of Billy Slater," I hear everyone under 25 scream in horror.

Actually yes, ahead of Billy Slater. It's a big call but I would venture that everything Slater has done over the past couple of years Lockyer did just as well in his 16 games at fullback. Billy will be just as effective on the wing, where he was in 2004 when he scored one of the greatest Origin tries.

Sums it up for me.

Firstly Kevin Walters didn't come to the Broncos till 1990, not 1989 when he was still playing for the Canberra Raiders, Bennett recruited him for 1990 onwards as a potential successor for Lewis and for his utility value. Secondly playing Kevin Walters at 5/8th was a huge success for the Broncos in 1990 and would prove to be a real masterstroke move in the premierships to come. He was a huge factor for the Broncos making a serious dent in the competition that season and thats despite Lewis having serious injury concerns that would have effected his form and amount of games he played that season regardless of if he played at 5/8th or lock. IMO a fully fit Lewis at lock alongside Walters at 5/8th would have been outstanding and of more benefit for the Broncos then having a fully fit Lewis at 5/8th and Walters on the bench.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem naming Lewis at lock in state of origin and Lockyer at 5/8th allowing slater to play fullback, Lewis would have been just as dominate at lock as he would have been at 5/8th.

GCBRONCO said:
Firstly Kevin Walters didn't come to the Broncos till 1990, not 1989 when he was still playing for the Canberra Raiders, Bennett recruited him for 1990 onwards as a potential successor for Lewis and for his utility value. Secondly playing Kevin Walters at 5/8th was a huge success for the Broncos in 1990 and would prove to be a real masterstroke move in the premierships to come. He was a huge factor for the Broncos making a serious dent in the competition that season and thats despite Lewis having serious injury concerns that would have effected his form and amount of games he played that season regardless of if he played at 5/8th or lock. IMO a fully fit Lewis at lock alongside Walters at 5/8th would have been outstanding and of more benefit for the Broncos then having a fully fit Lewis at 5/8th and Walters on the bench.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem naming Lewis at lock in state of origin and Lockyer at 5/8th allowing slater to play fullback, Lewis would have been just as dominate at lock as he would have been at 5/8th.

Agreed. Especially with his skillset in the modern game.

That's all cool so long as it's remembered the King was on the way out for the Broncs.

Flutterby said:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/picks-for-best-origin-side-ever-must-include-wally-lewis/story-e6frepbx-1225890133873

He got around the issue by picking Lockyer at five-eighth and Lewis at lock, where he played in the first Origin match in 1980, and never again, for the Maroons.

The Sydney journo justified his choice by saying "playing at lock wouldn't shut the King out of the action". Perhaps, but let's not forget when Wayne Bennett played Lewis at lock at Broncos in 1989 to fit Kevin Walters into the side. Hardly a stunning success.

Wally wasn't a player you just moved to fit someone else into the team. They didn't call him the King for nothing. He had to rule the roost, run the show and drive the bus. Taking the No.6 jumper off him, even with the best intentions, seems like a demotion.

So the answer is to move Lockyer to fullback. "Not ahead of Billy Slater," I hear everyone under 25 scream in horror.

Actually yes, ahead of Billy Slater. It's a big call but I would venture that everything Slater has done over the past couple of years Lockyer did just as well in his 16 games at fullback. Billy will be just as effective on the wing, where he was in 2004 when he scored one of the greatest Origin tries.

Sums it up for me.

That's fair enough, and now that things have cooled after origin, and while I'm still in awe of Slaters performances as of late, I think he still has a few years before he truely is equal to Lockyer at fullback.

However that article loses credibility big time if you keep reading IMO

Props are Petero Civoniceva and Martin Bella. Hooker is Cameron Smith. In the second row I've gone for Vautin ahead of Thaiday and Gillmeister, with the other spot going to my shock selection: David Taylor. Only a kid I know, but I've picked him on potential. Stick around, he's going to make history.

He's selected Taylor after 3 origin games in which he has been alright, nothing special. Slater is showing he could go down as one of the greatest if he continues his form over a longer period of time. But...

As far as I'm concerned, Coleman contradicted himself in the same article [icon_lol1.

I'll just pick a side, longevity probly counts, but criteria ?

Lockyer
Shearer
Miles
Meninga
Hancock
Lewis
Langer
Webcke
Walters (Steve)
Bella
Tallis
Larson
Vautin

Civoniceva
Walters (Kevin)
Dowling
Jackson
Lindner
Brunker [icon_wink

Oink !

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Skathen
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Tmac
  • Justwin
  • Stix
  • Mick_Hancock
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • sooticus
  • Midean
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.