OFFICIAL Adam Reynolds named captain of the Brisbane Broncos

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Great news. I haven’t even seen any negative press around it either which is surprising. (Broncos fallen so far they need to get a cockroach to be captain - or something along those lines).
Give it time. Surely Kent, beetroot face and the other newscorp cronies will have a shot at it. Might even be Crawley with Bennetts hand up his ass

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Our new skipper has news for his haters ... he beleives he can play on past his current contract and sign a second deal with the club.

“My goal is to push on for longer than three years at the Broncos,” Reynolds said.

“I have to take things a year at a time, but I don’t see this as a short-term thing. I want to repay the Broncos for the faith they have shown in me at this stage of my career.

“Obviously I get niggling injuries every now and then, but if you get caught up listening to the haters and the people trying to bring you down and telling you that you are no good, you will only fall into a trap of being no good.

“Overall the body is feeling good. I’m 31, I’ve been in the NRL for a long time, but to be honest I believe I can sign another contract with the Broncos after this one.

“That’s my plan. I have two years after this season and I believe my body will hold up for the three years or I wouldn’t have signed for that long.”

“I don’t know about going until the age of 40, but I definitely see myself going on beyond this next deal if I can,” he said.

“The big thing for me now is professionalism. I Iook after my body a lot better now than I did when I was younger.

“The important thing is listening to the people around me that I value. I’m open to feedback, but the minute I look sideways and listen to the outside criticism and noises, that’s when I start declining.

“There is a great medical staff and high-performance staff at the Broncos and as long as I keep looking after myself, I can’t see why I can’t sign another deal and finish my career at the Broncos.”

“I didn’t think I would fall into the captain’s role,” he said.

“When I was a bit younger, I shied away from the leadership stuff, but the older I got, the more I realised how important I was to the team.

“I’m honoured that Kevvie (Walters, Broncos coach) saw me as a leader. He kept me back in a meeting one day. I thought I had done something wrong, I wasn’t too sure what was going on. Then he had a quiet word to me about the captaincy.

“The relationship I have with Kevvie is already strong. He is passionate about his footy, he loves the Broncos, he wants to see them back at the top and we’re on the same page to try and achieve that.”

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Journeyman 'o' clock

He's a Todd Lowrie tier player who managed (somehow) to play almost 300 games for one club.
Glenn suffered from a bad case of the Boyd’s.

Played on at least 2 seasons too long, during such time their output across 10 or so games was comparable to others in their positions in just 1 game.

I think we’re about to see far better performances across the playing group simply because the young brigade finally have someone in the leadership space to look up to, someone that is in the top few in their position.

I’m genuinely excited.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Played on at least 2 seasons too long, during such time their output across 10 or so games was comparable to others in their positions in just 1 game.

I think we’re about to see far better performances across the playing group simply because the young brigade finally have someone in the leadership space to look up to, someone that is in the top few in their position.

I’m genuinely excited.

Let's just hope Reynolds bucks the trend of the last two captains.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

I’m genuinely excited.
I’ve been watching older games (2018 and earlier) and I keep having to double check I’m not seeing things when Glenn runs the ball. I forget how decent he really was. The decline was even worse than I realised.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014

I’m genuinely excited.
You know I think putting him in the Boyd category is harsh. I feel he stayed when he could have left a long time ago. He did get offers for more coin at other clubs, but chose to stick with us. I really think he thought of himself as a father figure to a lot of these young blokes and didn't want to desert them.

Boyd was a completely selfish individual who couldn't put his body on the line any more because he had given up. His influence on the team was toxic and it showed that none respected him for his actions. Glenns body gave up before he ever did and that may be a fault also but it's one I don't take foul with.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Let's just hope Reynolds bucks the trend of the last two captains.

Reynolds seems like he has the sort of mature personality to know when it's time to hang it up.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
You know I think putting him in the Boyd category is harsh. I feel he stayed when he could have left a long time ago. He did get offers for more coin at other clubs, but chose to stick with us. I really think he thought of himself as a father figure to a lot of these young blokes and didn't want to desert them.

Boyd was a completely selfish individual who couldn't put his body on the line any more because he had given up. His influence on the team was toxic and it showed that none respected him for his actions. Glenns body gave up before he ever did and that may be a fault also but it's one I don't take foul with.
Valid points. However, I do question whether the impact Glenn had as captain on the younger blokes was necessarily a good one.

There were quite a lot of reports and rumblings of a clique mentality in the club whilst he was captain, which if true, would have to be very toxic for culture.

The reality (for me at least) is that neither of them were captain material. Boyd was a very accomplished player (before the absolute free-fall decline) but that doesn’t mean anything when it comes to being a captain. Glenn was pretty much just the last man standing.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. We have an accomplished player and captain taking the reins this year, along with a few handy blokes to support him, so things are looking up 😀

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hopefully Reynolds has better luck than Glenn did with injury. It couldn't have been easy for Lexi missing the opening to the season through that injury he suffered in that trial and getting injured in the first half of his return game when the team desperately needed some senior players to help tough it out. Then when he finally gets his first win, he can't celebrate it because he was on the receiving end of foul play and basically misses the rest of the season.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I like how the whole room erupted with laughter when Alfie said he stayed at the Bronx for less money.

What an effing joke the salary cap has become.

It is utterly pointless except as a shield for the NRL to hide behind to pretend it gives a stuff about a fair competition…

Edit: PS - Go the Bronx!

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Has there ever been a captain of the Broncos named that has not played a game for the club?
Don't get me wrong, i think its the right call, just feels weird.
It feels weird with the knowledge that the Broncos have averaged 7 wins over the past three seasons with a wooden spoon thrown in the middle of it. Appointing a skipper who has never played a game in Brisbane colours is just par for the course these days. It's the right decision as it was the only decision possible.

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wendall Taylor
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  • Seibs
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.