Alex Glenn responds

Organix

NRL Player
Yes. Fair criticism is not bullying. The fans are their market and they are on the nose of their customers. I think our players are trying but they are very extremely entitled. They are simply not earning their salaries. No apology to fans or even walking over to the fans who were there. Just a sanctimonious and entitled post about protecting their mates when they are justifiably criticised. The coach showed them the way
I think this is a societal problem. Australia's answer to the Tall Poppy Syndrome has been to swing to the total opposite of Mollycoddling. There is no constructive criticism, simply excuses or platitudes. I am totally against bullying, particularly physical bullying, but I think there is something to be said about directness and honest critique. If I'm doing a bad job at my work and I don't see that, I'm not going to do it correctly if people say, it's ok, and put up with it and hope I change. It sticks when it is blunt. It might hurt and get my back up, but in the end I'm damn sure not going to let them say that to me again. I will go out of my way to get it done right or I will quit because I'm not good at it or the system is not in place where I can improve. But there will be a noticeable change because **** that guy!

Organix

NRL Player
For some reason I can't edit my old posts, can the mods please merge?
Regarding the spelling errors in Glenn's tweets; this thought occurred to me: we are allowing this complacency to happen. Similarly we allow the players to make the same mistakes over and over again. Instead of correcting people's errors we make excuses for them. "They are footballers, not professors". They went to school. Everyone in Australia should have received the same schooling (barring certain circumstances) and should have been corrected. Most don't have a clue when to use whom simply because they were never corrected for improper use. Fine, not a lot is lost, but when you use "your" for "you're" it actually says a lot about ones intelligence. Should we want a numpty as our captain? Or would we prefer an intelligent captain? It's simple to correct but we let it go. Why? Small problems can often build into greater ones and we can see this now at the club.

The Broncos have allowed these small issues of complacency (lack of pride and team spirit) to slowly erode the mentality of the playing group to what we see now. These guys have been playing football since they were infants. They haven't forgotten how to tackle, how to run and hold the ball, how to hold the line, how to run a block play. Why shouldn't we criticise them for missing tackles, not numbering up, not maintaining match fitness and not fighting for the team? Maybe they need to hear it. They certainly aren't setting a good example for the next group of kids to come into the playing group. I recall Xavier Coates crying while receiving his jersey, and to be fair to him, he seems to still be playing to match this passion. But he is not a leader in the club.

However, the hyperbole vomited by the media is ridiculous. The club certainly should be strongly advised to ignore them. The fans booing should be taken on as deserved criticism. However, if Alex Glenn doesn't want himself or they boys to get slagged on social media, as captain he should be smarter and advise them to get off it. It's not rocket science. If I cop flak here, then I'll take it because I put myself out there. Protecting the mental health of players is not about wrapping them in cotton wool. It is about educating them to be able to receive criticism and act on it appropriately. Saying "he's bullying me" and sooking about it isn't the correct response. The correct response is hearing the actual criticism, accepting or rejecting it and then acting upon it. If those giving the criticism can't articulate it well, the players should be educated to look past this to find the crux of the criticism. Similar to how this forum will convert me saying **** to four dots. It removes the sting, so to speak.

In the end, a person can only truly change their own actions.

Last edited:

Tomato Sorcerer

BRL Player
Bullying? Mental health? FMD just what goes on at football training in this era?
This group is totally lacking old-school mongrel attitude.
They play in one of the most violent contact sports on earth, yet it doesn’t look like there’s anyone in that group getting them up for the battle.

Now they’re getting bullied off the field as well as on, and it looks like the same defeatist victim response.

Time to brIng in Kevie and/or Hodgo to drive an attitude adjustment and instil some broncs pride and passion.

These guys are lost.

Reactions: Tom

Jedhead

NRL Player
Geez, the one year our season would not have been crueled by origin and give us a red hot crack at making the four and a serious crack at the big one and we're playing like absolute busteds.

rnabokov

State of Origin Rep
Bangalow
This group is totally lacking old-school mongrel attitude.
They play in one of the most violent contact sports on earth, yet it doesn’t look like there’s anyone in that group getting them up for the battle.

Now they’re getting bullied off the field as well as on, and it looks like the same defeatist victim response.

Time to brIng in Kevie and/or Hodgo to drive an attitude adjustment and instil some broncs pride and passion.

These guys are lost.
I'll say it again, IF our defence hits hard, IF our tackling is punishing, IF our defence stops the ball carrier in his tracks AND the line is straight and true, moving up to smother attacking opportunities - everything our defence is not btw, then we can hope to have some motivation and energy, built on playing off the front foot.

Defence for this side is everything

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I'll say it again, IF our defence hits hard, IF our tackling is punishing, IF our defence stops the ball carrier in his tracks AND the line is straight and true, moving up to smother attacking opportunities - everything our defence is not btw, then we can hope to have some motivation and energy, built on playing off the front foot.

Defence for this side is everything
They must have so much frustration and anger with how things are going.

Take it out on the opposition. Crack some ribs.

Jedhead

NRL Player
If it's true the culprits should be exposed and dealt with by the police. This is not something that should be allowed to go unresolved.

I have to admit though watching that dross on Saturday night there were times when it threatened to upset my mental equilibrium and I felt like doing myself in.

I just read the report on the NRL site and the way it's written and what Lexy is quoted as saying suggests there were no death threats. There may have been stupid outrageous goading by some morons telling players to kill themselves. There is a massive difference there and the two should not be confused for the sake of a headline.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
1593494337800.png

So.. there were no death threats, just trolls on the internet on brand new accounts saying 'kill yourself' to certain player(s).

Don't get me wrong.. those people are fuckwits and deserve a kick in the head.. but.. how does shit like that seriously affect professional athletes?

How frail must your mental resolve be if brand new social media accounts with 0 followers talking shit to you online results in you needing to seek professional help from the clubs welfare officer?

Am I being insensitive here? Maybe. I've played online video games for 15 years, you become pretty accustomed to all forms of verbal abuse pretty quickly if do. Water off a ducks back.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
I wasn’t annoyed by Alex’s defensive post....

...but I was very annoyed (call me boomer if you must) during the lock down the Broncos started posting pics of them rocking up to training like they were NBA stars getting their “drip on”. With hindsight it looks like that was their only efforts during that time. All lead by Alex Glenn.

(ftr Joffa looked smokin)

Tom

State of Origin Captain
lol the only people that tell others to kill themselves on the internet are edgy 14yr olds. Glenn is just doing his best to change the narrative in the media this week.

Last edited:

kooly87

NRL Player
Of course he's right about that sort of stuff being totally unacceptable and of course no one should have to put up with that sort of stuff. There are dead shits in all walks of life and Broncos fans are no different.

If I was the Captain though, I'd be trying to make sure that in addressing this issue with the media that I at least took a moment to acknowledge what I'm sure would be the overwhelming majority of fans who have been far milder and more reasonable in their criticisms to let them know the players and coaching staff feel their pain, agree things are not good enough and need to change, and reinforce that they are all working tirelessly to turn it around.

It's fine to say you're hurting, but when you're publicly smiling and laughing just minutes after a result that honestly should have been an embarassment for you and your team mates, it's a tough one for the fans to cop. I'd confidently wager you couldn't find 17 fans anywhere in Queensland that would have been smiling and laughing so quickly after that result.

Last edited:

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I wasn’t annoyed by Alex’s defensive post....

...but I was very annoyed (call me boomer if you must) during the lock down the Broncos started posting pics of them rocking up to training like they were NBA stars getting their “drip on”. With hindsight it looks like that was their only efforts during that time. All lead by Alex Glenn.

(ftr Joffa looked smokin)
It’s funny how so many of them watched the last dance but the only thing they got out of it was rocking up to the game trying to look rich.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
If I was the Captain though, I'd be trying to make sure that in addressing this issue with the media that I at least took a moment to acknowledge what I'm sure would be the overwhelming majority of fans who have been far milder and more reasonable in their criticisms to let them know the players and coaching staff feel their pain, agree things are not good enough and need to change, and reinforce that they are all working tirelessly to turn it around.
he did that in his initial tweet. see the OP

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
lol the only people that tell others to kill themselves on the internet are edgy 14yr olds. Glenn is just doing his best to change the narrative in the media this week.
I dunno. I've seen some absolute tools that are grown men who take their footy way too seriously. You tend to get the 14 year olds in PUBG and Fortnite.

I dont think the Broncos have handled it that well. They should have named and shamed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hadeswolf

Twitter