Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Alex Glenn reveals worry over
possible one-year Broncos contract

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 4, 2019 3:35pm

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Broncos having outlaid more than $4 million in recent months to retain Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Jake Turpin,

hang on a second ... is Badel really trying to say that we spent 4 million (a season, a least that is what he is implying) on Turpin, Lodge and TPJ ... what are they all on well over a million a season

Past generations of Broncos greats have faced Glenn’s financial predicament. Brisbane’s most-capped player, 355-game icon Darren Lockyer, earned $700,000 at his peak, but played for just $200,000 in his farewell season in 2011. Broncos front row legends Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva never earned more than $350,000 annually at Brisbane, forcing Civoniceva to continue his NRL career at Penrith.

Past generation's have had a different salary cap and rules surrounding it to deal with, you dickhead, stop trying to compare them

I would take that more as 4 million in contract total TBH, those 3 aren't 4 million a season in total worth.

hang on a second ... is Badel really trying to say that we spent 4 million (a season, a least that is what he is implying) on Turpin, Lodge and TPJ ... what are they all on well over a million a season

Past generation's have had a different salary cap and rules surrounding it to deal with, you dickhead, stop trying to compare them

He's clearly saying more than $4m total, not per year.

800k a season for Jack Bird to keep the couch seat warm Vs 400k for Glenn the work horse. I'd give Glenn 800k for *3 years, bargain! *must play at least 15 games a season clause

Last edited:
I just can't get the "I've got to look after my family " line. It's not like you can't do it on $250 k , I mean ****, most families would kill for that. If you can't set yourself up for life after footy, especially after 8+ seasons then your doing something wrong.
[automerge]1567592988[/automerge]
Bird was beginning to play to his salary before he was injured. He was seriously good at the start of the season.
Yet he kept dropping the ball over the line and butchered a few more tries. He was looking better but not even close to $800k worth.

Last edited:
So if we apply the Badel logic here

"Broncos stars declare Fifita shouldn't be re-signed"

On a serious note, give Glenn two years. He's worth every fucking cent of 250-300k. He's been our most consistent performer over 10 years, dead set. Can anyone name a player who has been as reliable as him over his career with us during the last 10 years?

Last edited:
I just can't get the "I've got to look after my family " line. It's not like you can't do it on $250 k , I mean ****, most families would kill for that. If you can't set yourself up for life after footy, especially after 8+ seasons then your doing something wrong.

I think he was talking more about potentially having to up and move, to some as-yet unkown place, after a year. He says "my other half (Jemma), she is stressing out. “My partner doesn’t know where we are going and we have young kids, so we need to be able to prepare for things."

Last edited:
So if we apply the Badel logic here

"Broncos stars declare Fifita shouldn't be re-signed"

On a serious note, give Glenn two years. He's worth every fucking cent of 250-300k. He's been our most consistent performer over 10 years, dead set. Can anyone name a player who has been as reliable as him over his career with us during the last 10 years?

Macca?

*runs away*

I agree with you, and In reality Glenn does still provide value to the team. However With the emergence of Fifi on that left edge and Gillett/TPJ on the right, his value now lies in his leadership on/off the field and a fill in / bench position, almost the same way the rooster have used Mitch Aubusson.

In a full strength side where do you put him?

There is also very few players left that qualify for the long service cap discount and he would be one of them??

Surely they can afford him for a couple more seasons, with a cushy job at the club after that [emoji848]

Lexy's the type of bloke we should be able to have a testimonial match for. Solid clubman who never earned the big bucks, never in any strife off the field and happy to play his role in the team no matter what it is. Really hope he can get that extra year and the boys can send him out with a premiership.

If we can continue to give shit players contracts over the years he has been playing, we can give him some coin and a decent contract.

Amazed that so many people are ok to offer young potential contracts at the exapense of a player who shows up, does his job, every single week, for years.

Lexy's the type of bloke we should be able to have a testimonial match for. Solid clubman who never earned the big bucks, never in any strife off the field and happy to play his role in the team no matter what it is. Really hope he can get that extra year and the boys can send him out with a premiership.

That is a good question you’ve raised there, what are the qualifications for the testimonial other than being named C.Smith. Would Glenn qualify in coming seasons?

That is a good question you’ve raised there, what are the qualifications for the testimonial other than being named C.Smith. Would Glenn qualify in coming seasons?
He should, but who knows. This is from a 2017 article after the NRL approved a swindle for a bloke who's only received ten million or so dollars and been involved in massive salary cap rorting, grubby behaviour and a repeated, determined approach to undermine the rules of the game, employing tactics that contributed to a man being paralysed for life.

The nominees must have played at least 250 NRL games and spent a minimum 10 years at their club. They have to also have played State of Origin or Tests, and have near-unblemished records both on and off the field.

Crucially, they must also have a registered contract in the season of the match, to ensure their salary is registered at market value — and in turn, stopping game’s proceeds supplementing their wages.

Players also need to nominate a charity of choice, where a portion of the money will go.

Seems as long as he donates 50k to charity then Lexy can pull in a nice half million dollar payday too.

So he would absolutely qualify according to that. Who could he play?

Actually, make it against Smith. Smith won’t say no to more money and if Smith agrees, so does the NRL.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • johnny plath
  • phoenix
  • Jedhead
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bish
  • rj9
  • Behold
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.