NEWS Alex Glenn reveals worry over possible one-year Broncos contract

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
If Macca gets injured again Turps likely still needs a bench Hooker replacement, Seggy is on near min wage you don't get deals like that often it's a stupid idea, but there is a chance Seggy is going to quit to do post Footy things anyway.
Seggy wont be on minimum wage if he stays, and even if he was that minimum wage would top up Glenns salary to what he deserves. You cant live of if this player or that players gets injured. What if nobody gets injured? What then? We just dont need 3 senior hookers.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Seggy wont be on minimum wage if he stays, and even if he was that minimum wage would top up Glenns salary to what he deserves. You cant live of if this player or that players gets injured. What if nobody gets injured? What then? We just dont need 3 senior hookers.
No we would have to replace him with someone on the same\similar wage.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
No we would have to replace him with someone on the same\similar wage.
Wouldnt it depend on the makeup of our squad and if you are talking about his current salaray or his salary for next year? If we are going to upgrade Seggys contract then he wont be on minimum wage anymore, so we obviously must have some money spare to upgrade him. Why not contract somebody like Pratt from Redcliffe as a cheap, third choice hooker option who will only be used in emergencies and use whatever upgrade Seggys upgrade would be to top up Glenn?

Dazza 92

QCup Player
Will he be a part of the spine? He is on too much money to be a centre. He needs to be producing at 5/8 or fullback to get that kind of money in my opinion. I am not saying the injuries are his fault but if he doesn't become a good 5/8 or fullback we don't need him. Thats a lot of money to risk that he comes good as a dominant spine player. He's only produced the goods in the centres. The other cheaper centre options will do just fine in my opinion.
....isnt that what I said......????

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Wouldnt it depend on the makeup of our squad and if you are talking about his current salaray or his salary for next year? If we are going to upgrade Seggys contract then he wont be on minimum wage anymore, so we obviously must have some money spare to upgrade him. Why not contract somebody like Pratt from Redcliffe as a cheap, third choice hooker option who will only be used in emergencies and use whatever upgrade Seggys upgrade would be to top up Glenn?
Did we offer him an upgrade though? I doubt it we already have 5 players on 1mil+\season. Plus he still hasn't even signed he is holding out for a better deal from somewhere I bet we offered him min. wage again. Getting rid of him isn't the answer he's great value at minimum wage or near it.

We do however have another hooker who is on way more and surplus to needs.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Did we offer him an upgrade though? I doubt it we already have 5 players on 1mil+\season. Plus he still hasn't even signed he is holding out for a better deal from somewhere I bet we offered him min. wage again. Getting rid of him isn't the answer he's great value at minimum wage or near it.

We do however have another hooker who is on way more and surplus to needs.
Macca wont be going anywhere i wouldnt think.

I think Seibs said we offered Seggy a contract, but i couldnt see it being at minimum value again. It would be a no brainer to sign him up on that sort of contract.

Yep, we did offer him one looking at it, a 2 year deal.
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/08/15/new-deal-offered-as-segeyaro-hits-milestone/

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep

theshed

NRL Player
Macca wont be going anywhere i wouldnt think.

I think Seibs said we offered Seggy a contract, but i couldnt see it being at minimum value again. It would be a no brainer to sign him up on that sort of contract.

Yep, we did offer him one looking at it, a 2 year deal.
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/08/15/new-deal-offered-as-segeyaro-hits-milestone/
We sign Seggy on a back ended 2 year deal. Min wage for next year then an appropriate amount for the second. Meanwhile we let Macca know that we won’t need him in 2021 and hopefully he doesn’t take his final year option. Put some of his money to Seggy.

I dunno. This could be an option.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I reckon it would be. Why else hasn't he signed yet? Nobody else has offered him squat he is holding out.
I really cant see it. Not sure we would be allowed to again would we anyway? We only got him at that price because we were a little opportunistic in our timing. I dont think the NRL would allow us to tie up a potentially very good player on the $105k minimum wage for 2 years. We would have to give him a top up i would have thought.
- Merged

We sign Seggy on a back ended 2 year deal. Min wage for next year then an appropriate amount for the second. Meanwhile we let Macca know that we won’t need him in 2021 and hopefully he doesn’t take his final year option. Put some of his money to Seggy.

I dunno. This could be an option.
Can you still do these back ended deals these days? I honestly thought they pulled the plug on them. Could be just me though, might of imagined it!

Last edited:

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
What is Paix favoured Position?
THE battle for the Broncos’ No.9 jumper is about to heat up. Andrew McCullough, James Segeyaro and Jake Turpinare Brisbane’s three hookers this season but there is a fourth contender looming on the horizon in young gun Cory Paix. The Cooper Cronk-lookalike has been a teenage star in the halfback position and he has worn the No.7 jumper for Redcliffe this season. But the Broncos will convert him into a hooker at NRL level and believe he has the type of speed that makes Souths’ Damien Cook so lethal.

theshed

NRL Player
Can you still do these back ended deals these days? I honestly thought they pulled the plug on them. Could be just me though, might of imagined it!
They definitely mentioned a ban but from memory the specifics were quite vague. “Heavily back ended contracts” was the wording. What constitutes as “heavily back ended” and what is reasonable is not entirely clear from memory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter