What should the club do with TPJ

• Sack him!

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Give another chance - on current contract

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Give another chance - on reduced 1 yr deal, with behaviour clauses

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
Personally I really hope we keep him. With a functioning backline, a happy team, and a good coach he's invaluable. From memory he said he always wanted to play for the Broncos.
After the pain of losing David Fifita, I really think if the club can get it together and cross that bridge with TPJ for better things. It would be a waste to let him go now.
From someone who lives in Melbourne, I can tell you this year has been particularly unique, and punishing from personal experience. With that in mind I think we got to give these young guys some slack.
He hasn't got caught with drugs, a sex scandal, some violence, or anything like that I know of. Players have done FAR worse, and have been retained. Some have gone on to make amends. (Simple Jack etc)
I'll reiterate these players are young, a lot of them away from family in what is really a historic year with great uncertainty. 5 times, 3 times. What are we talking here? He has been honest from what I can tell.
It's inappropriate to judge him from a zoom call act of contrition. These guy's aren't trained public speakers or Hollywood actors.
He's still young with his best years just ahead of him. Sometimes forgiveness builds trust. David Fifita and Bali are a different situation with 1.25 mill on the table. Now my emotions have subsided I'd rather keep TPJ if it were still a choice. He's far more punishing in defence, and fantastic in attack when the team has a good coach.
I'm hoping and staying positive with you. I was watching those "bad tackles" again and it's just stupid what he has been punished for. Sent off for smashing a bloke under a high ball, falling on Maloney, who would definitely have offloaded otherwise, and that shot on O'Neill was so normal it's ridiculous. The time he's copped for such crap is ridiculous, then you get the media saying "the Broncos need a hard man enforcer" as if Pangai isn't trying to be exactly that.

Lets face it, we all know why they didn’t just straight out sack him.

We are complete crap and need all the talent we can get. It’s what sh*t clubs do, bend over and cop it, because they haven’t got any choice.

It is no surprise to me at all that he isn’t gone. Our board has the spine of a jellyfish.

it is a very harsh punishment, for relatively minor indiscretions. and the fact that he has accepted these conditions means 1 of 2 things

1) he actually really wants to stay in Brisbane

2) his backing himself to uphold these conditions, and perform well enough to get a bigger contract elsewhere ...

either way we win

I'm hoping and staying positive with you. I was watching those "bad tackles" again and it's just stupid what he has been punished for. Sent off for smashing a bloke under a high ball, falling on Maloney, who would definitely have offloaded otherwise, and that shot on O'Neill was so normal it's ridiculous. The time he's copped for such crap is ridiculous, then you get the media saying "the Broncos need a hard man enforcer" as if Pangai isn't trying to be exactly that.
Absolutely correct. I didn't buy into some posters rationalizations for wanting TPJ gone for those suspensions. In fact I didn't think he deserved any censure and was astonished by the severity of the punishments.

Share many of the sentiments here. Hope he keeps his good behaviour bond intact and we can get the best out of him.

I want to believe he wants to stay in Brisbane and help the club succeed.

Some may see it as a cop-out for the board to not just sack him, but to give just enough agreed upon rope for him to potentially hang himself is the best case scenario.

Tevita (or his lawyers at least) has agreed to the terms for a sort of professionalism rehab which shows that both parties want him to get his shit together for everyone’s sake.

If/when he ***** up, he will have literally no one to blame but himself.

Also I highly doubt that if Seibold was still here that he would still be here in any capacity

Last edited:
They should at least make him run water out and clean up the sheds after the games.

The punishment was pretty much what some of us predicted even if it was arranged to look unlike our predictions. I wrote, more than two weeks ago that I thought it unlikely he'd be sacked and a suitable big fine imposed. I think I also said it'd be a final warning with good behaviour expected. I don't believe being suspended by over zealous officials and the judiciary next year will see his contract shredded unless his possible future offence genuinely deserves a strict penalty.

I want to believe he's learned a tough lesson and I'm optimistic we will see a stellar season from him.

Did Paul Kent just slander the Broncos tonight on 360???
Talking about TPJ and why they gave him a second chance he said he thought the Broncs changed their mind because they were worried about what may come out if the conversation got too honest.

I don't how to put a video up if someone can be bothered.

Yep, it was not only slanderous but it makes no fucking sense.

Kent claims that we did this because he was talking to the integrity unit and wanted to make sure he wouldn't 'dob them in', so they have fined him more than 100k and made it so he can't sneeze out of place for risk of losing his whole contract. If there was any basis to Kent's claims they would be wanting to keep him as happy as possible, not fining him and publicly stating what thin ice he is on.

Not only is it nonsensical it just highlights how the media can say absolutely anything they want with no recourse.

I can see TPJ getting jack of the restrictions and no pay for the rest on 2020, especially being apart of a team that will collect the spoon.
I give him 6 months before he’s gone. Hope he proves me wrong, along with turning his life around..
Best of luck TPJ.

I can see TPJ getting jack of the restrictions and no pay for the rest on 2020, especially being apart of a team that will collect the spoon.
I give him 6 months before he’s gone. Hope he proves me wrong, along with turning his life around..
Best of luck TPJ.
I agree but equally I can see the opposite just as easily. After all he might just be able to muddle through to next season on 400-500 thousand if he cuts down on phone and internet, turns the a/c up to 25° or better still turns it off and makes sure he turns the lights out in each room when he's not using them. It will be tough I'm sure and a huge sacrifice and he might even have to lay off one of his servants but we all have had to do that sometime in the past.

Lol absolute rubbish by kent again. Loves to constantly imply we are rorting the cap yet in same sentence defends roosters saying there just the best in the business at manageing contracts. Like there is somem magic formula every other nrl team are to dumb to figure out.

How he still has a job i have no idea
There literally is a magic formula for the Roosters that all the clubs could follow. They just need to go and find a Chairman with stunningly deep pockets and a wealth of business connections who also happens to be the world's most unlucky golfer.

Best of luck TPJ.
I think you'll find he's now relieved of the Project Apollo restrictions for the remainder of this season. The Broncos mentioned that in their statement:

He be stood down immediately without pay for the remainder of the 2020 season and as a consequence will be removed from the Project Apollo “bubble”;

Last edited:
While i agree with you that those tackles in no way deserved the penalties they attracted, my question is... do we really need TPJ to be attempting those type of tackles ?

Personally, i think if he really wants to be our enforcer, which i am certain he can be, we need him to be smashing opposition frontrowers in the middle of the ruck, not crunching wingers/halfbacks/fullbacks like he has been.

Time for the big guy to get stuck into the other big guys in the middle.

That to me would be more beneficial to our team moving forward.

While i agree with you that those tackles in no way deserved the penalties they attracted, my question is... do we really need TPJ to be attempting those type of tackles ?

Personally, i think if he really wants to be our enforcer, which i am certain he can be, we need him to be smashing opposition frontrowers in the middle of the ruck, not crunching wingers/halfbacks/fullbacks like he has been.

Time for the big guy to get stuck into the other big guys in the middle.

That to me would be more beneficial to our team moving forward.

He does do that too though. Look at his hits on Klemmer, JT2, JWH, etc. I’m happy he is staying but the restrictions will be very tempting to break.

it is a very harsh punishment, for relatively minor indiscretions. and the fact that he has accepted these conditions means 1 of 2 things

1) he actually really wants to stay in Brisbane

2) his backing himself to uphold these conditions, and perform well enough to get a bigger contract elsewhere ...

either way we win
Yes it is harsh but would need to fit what ever criteria the NRL Integrity Unit expected I would imagine.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Lozza
  • Cavalo
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Redux
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Bish
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.