All Time Cricket XI

Healy was a better keeper. That said, would you rather a man who keeps great, can't bat or one who keeps great, can win games with the bat?

If you don't pick Gilchrist you are mental.

Hammo said:
1. M. Hayden
2. D. Haynes
3. B. Lara
4. S. Tendulkar
5. A. Border (c)
6. A. Gilchrist
7. R. Hadlee
8. S. Warne
9. W. Akram
10. G. McGrath
11. C. Ambrose

12. C. Walsh

I never saw Lillee bowl live.

I would be the same Hammo! Except punt Haynes (as good as he was) move Tendulkar up to opening and put in Steve Waugh.

Sir Viv would be the reserve batsmen...was very hard to leave him out!

1. M. Hayden
2. M. Slater
3. S. Tendulkar
4. B. Lara
5. A. Border
6. I. Khan
7. A Gilchrist
8. S. Warne
9.C. Ambrose
10. G. McGrath
11. C Walsh

Does anyone rate Michael Slater?
I thought he was a great batsman

1. Matt Hayden
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Brian Lara
5. Ricky Ponting
6. Steve Waugh (C)
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Waqar Younis
11. Glenn McGrath

12. Curtly Ambrose

1. Brian Lara
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Alan Border (c)
6. Steve Waugh
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Glenn Mcgrath

12. Scott Muller

Scott Muller is a legend of the game..

Hard not to pick so many Aussies given their dominance throughout most of my adult life, however I loved watching some of the bowling attacks doing the rounds in the 90s, especially in the ODIs. Always got nervous watching us bat against the Saffas and Pakis.

Test

1. Hayden
2. Slater
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Border
6. Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Ambrose
10. Donald
11. McGrath

12. Walsh

Hard to pick an ODI team, though as I previously mentioned the bowling attacks of the 90s were great to watch.

Akram, Younis (those two were awesome to watch swinging the white ball),Razzaq, Mushtaq, Saqlan, Afridi for the Pakis.

Pollock, Klusner, Donald, Kallis, Symcox for the Saffas.

Walsh, Ambrose, Bishop, for the Windies.

Also enjoyed watching Jayasuria and Kaluwitharana going spaz opening the batting.

Great times.

Saqlain is the best ODI spin bowler I have ever seen including Warne. His record is phenomenal and I would have him before Warne as my 1st choice spinner in ODI's except finals matches because Warne was always the man for the big occasion. 288 Wickets @ 21.78 and a strike rate of 30.4.

In the one dayers, I am surprised no picked Mark Waugh... great opener and handy bowler and brilliant fielder.
I don't put Saqlain in the same class as Warne. Although, I do believe Saqlain introduced the Australians to the doosra. Warne must be there.
He ( Saqlain ) was talented but very temperamental. I think he was also on first name basis with a guy called 'John' who had an interest in cricket a little while ago.

Surely Viv gets a start - asisde from his magnificent batting, he was also an incredible fielder and handy offie.

As for the bowlers, Wasim must be there along with McGrath. The third seamer could be picked from a host of players. Sir Dick Hadlee was a magnificent outswing bowler.

Regarding reverse swing, someone mentioned earlier that Waqar was the originator.
He wasn't, although it did start in Pakistan.
Waqar and Wasim were introduced to it by Imran, who in turn was taught by one of the true characters of world cricket... the great Sarfraz Nawaz. he is generally accepted as the man.

In reality, the NSW players of the 80's ( in particular Mike Whitney ) were using it around the same time as Waqar and Wasim, thanks to a guest playing stint by Imran.

There was also a guy called Peter Lever from England who played in the 70's who used it effectively.
Sorry to be off topic, but it is a fascinating art.
Sarfraz was the guy though.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.