Allegations against Bulldogs

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As I said I don't care what the "rules" say. In that type of situation they should have every right to tell the media to piss off, they are devastated after being the best team all year quite clearly how about we let them have their private sulk and let them talk to the media in due time.

It is a Grand Final loss not the death of a family member FFS. The AFL players could talk to the media but poor old Des Hasler and his players can't. It is bullshit. If the NRL want to get fair dinkum the media need to get greater access to players across the board.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I agree they should have more access generally, I just think losing a grand final surely they can have some flexibility and let them have a bit of privacy.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The only pathetic thing here is the media. They're trying so hard to trash the Bulldogs image and I think it's a disgrace.

I don't understand.

The media had every right to film what they could see from a public space. They then have every right to tell people that these players are douche bags.

When did it become alright in Rugby League to abuse people, just because you play rugby league, and get drunk on mad Monday?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
As I said I don't care what the "rules" say. In that type of situation they should have every right to tell the media to piss off, they are devastated after being the best team all year quite clearly how about we let them have their private sulk and let them talk to the media in due time.

What happened to asking not to be filmed. Instead of the vial shit they sprayed?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I agree they should have more access generally, I just think losing a grand final surely they can have some flexibility and let them have a bit of privacy.

Do we know the story on this?? Did they ask for 30 mins to cry or did they just shut the door on the media for the night? A bit of communication goes a long way. Given Des wasn't really letting his players talk to the media at all during the finals series is it any wonder the media got sick of it.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
It seems the Bulldogs will be fined for not allowing the media access. (well that's the rumour going around)

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
The AFL just does everything so much better than League - It's embarrassing. Have a read of Alistair Clarkson's words to the media following the Hawks' loss. It's one of the press conferences of the year IMO. So gracious, and he articulated the realities of the situation so well. Was it so hard for the Dogs to grit their teeth and put on a similar show?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/life-goes-on-for-shattered-hawks-20120929-26snj.html

The highlights -

''It's a bit raw at the moment. We played a very, very good football side today. When you front up for grand finals it's always going to be an epic battle. It's like Nadal versus Federer, two heavyweights having a crack at one another, you are going to win some, you are going to lose some,'' Clarkson said.

''We are shattered in terms of the outcome of the game but we played against a very, very good football side and they have experienced their heartbreak in the last six or seven years as well.
''At the end of the day it still is the theatre of sport and you have to deal with those emotions. It is not anywhere near the loss of something like what happened to Jill Meagher last week or a brother-in-law that I lost this year through cancer, a brain tumour, or what happened to Jarrad McVeigh's daughter last year. You have got to keep these things in perspective, too.
''We go hard and we compete hard, one of my best mates is coaching the opposition side, it does not mean you don't go hard, that is the theatre of sport, but, just as importantly, [you have to] keep life in perspective and understand that we will try and get better, but we still have things in our lives that make us very fortunate to be living the lives we do.''

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
That is more to do with the character of the man rather than the way the clubs are generally with the media. Buckley for instance is nearly as prickly to the media as Hasler. That being said that was a cracker of a press conference, Clarkson really put it into perspective.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
This is what I would have done in today's world in their situation.

1) Suck it up and put on a show for the media - don't give them what they want. Belmore sports ground - open the doors, let fans in etc. have a few quiet ones, interviews, formalities bla bla bla - the papers can report on the MM. Done and done.
2) After that - gather all the boys and move the party somewhere in house, private... get totally sloshed and do whatever the hell you want away from the media. Obviously devo after a GF loss - get pissed inhouse with all the boys. No one knows about this venue etc, its completely private.

Problem solved.

The Media got what they wanted... The Dogs tried to make it private but epic failed which is why my proposed plan would have been the way to go.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
This is what I would have done in today's world in their situation.

1) Suck it up and put on a show for the media - don't give them what they want. Belmore sports ground - open the doors, let fans in etc. have a few quiet ones, interviews, formalities bla bla bla - the papers can report on the MM. Done and done.
2) After that - gather all the boys and move the party somewhere in house, private... get totally sloshed and do whatever the hell you want away from the media. Obviously devo after a GF loss - get pissed inhouse with all the boys. No one knows about this venue etc, its completely private.

Problem solved.

The Media got what they wanted... The Dogs tried to make it private but epic failed which is why my proposed plan would have been the way to go.

Great idea (honestly).

But the only thing that sells newspapers in that idea is the bottom feeders of the media sticking a camera through a window at the private function afterwards.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Geeze the way the Dogs are trying to spin the public debate is really bugging me. THEY opened the window to yell out derogatory comments. THEIR gear steward opened the front gates and gave the media a spray.

This is without even mentioning the fact every other bloody AFL and NRL team has been filmed on the juice at points of their mad Mondays - like it or lump it, it's news. The facts are, out of 28 professional sporting teams of the same demographics, the Dogs were the only playing group unable to maintain an acceptable level of behaviour throughout the small time their celebrations were in the public eye.

Why is this the medias fault?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Geeze the way the Dogs are trying to spin the public debate is really bugging me. THEY opened the window to yell out derogatory comments. THEIR gear steward opened the front gates and gave the media a spray.

This is without even mentioning the fact every other bloody AFL and NRL team has been filmed on the juice at points of their mad Mondays - like it or lump it, it's news. The facts are, out of 28 professional sporting teams of the same demographics, the Dogs were the only playing group unable to maintain an acceptable level of behaviour throughout the small time their celebrations were in the public eye.

Why is this the medias fault?

Exactly. Other players are able to see a female reporter and not yell obscene statements, but the poor poor dogs its all the medias fault

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
But the only thing that sells newspapers in that idea is the bottom feeders of the media sticking a camera through a window at the private function afterwards.

They didn't stick a camera through a window, they were some distance away.

As others have said, the window was closed until someone from the Dogs opened it to yell abuse etc.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
The photo channel 9 showed.

attachment.php

Photo from Channel 7, Channel 9 would have seen that.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Will upload them to photobucket.

Forgot you have to be logged in at the Dogs forum to view them.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Professional athletes smoking. Always good.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • leon.bott
  • Fozz
  • Brotherdu
  • barker
  • porouian
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.