Andrew Johns named eighth immortal

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Deadset joke.

Former Newcastle Knights halfback Andrew Johns has been named as the eighth rugby league immortal.

The 38-year-old joins Bob Fulton, John Raper, Clive Churchill, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands, Wally Lewis and Arthur Beetson in the illustrious list of Immortals which is a brand owned by Rugby League Week.

Johns was chosen by 18 judges including the five living Immortals and a host of rugby league personalities including coach Wayne Bennett and radio personality Ray Hadley.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-league-immortal/story-e6frf3ou-1226482903242

Last edited:
QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Absolute disgrace. Sure, let them put joey in soon, but surely u have to put in blokes like Mal that have been around longer, played far more consistently and have brought nothing but respect to our game instead of this inconsistent drug ****

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
yep, but it was always going to happen. the media love johns, especially the NSW media.

the guy wasnt good enough to be the starting halfback for his state or country for most of his career, yet beats a guy who holds all sorts of state of origin and australian records. like i saw coxy say on facebook, any relevancy the Immortals had is now gone IMO.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What a f***ing joke. What a fantastic example for future players. "Hey kids, do drugs your whole career and you can be an immortal like me, Joey johns" the immortals have now lost all credibility.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Is everyone QLD biased or something? Congratulations to him. Sure taking drugs is unprofessional but no one is perfect. I was't a fan of league when he was running the show, so I can't have an opinion on him.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
we were fans, and he wasnt that ****ing great, especially compared to mal!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Very predictable. Another amateur showing from Rugby League.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Mal should have gone in first purely for longevity and leadership as he achueved everything Joey did and more (except the dally m's) Joey was great and as it is based only his selection long term I am fine with but clearly someone like Mal deserved a spot first. On Johns not getting picked at 7, this was largely down to Andersen picking his club halfback for Australia in Kimmorley and Johns had the quality to play 9 where Noddy didn't that way they could have them both that is until Buderus came along and changed the logic there. The injuries also hampered him from long stretches of dominance which plays against him too. Lockyer is at worst just as deserving but I would say more so down to longevity and mastering two positions.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Is everyone QLD biased or something? Congratulations to him. Sure taking drugs is unprofessional but no one is perfect. I was't a fan of league when he was running the show, so I can't have an opinion on him.

Unprofessional???? It's bloody illegal

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The concept should have ended after the initial group was announced. How many of the original judges were involved in this decision? I really don't think it was Rothfield, Hadley, Ray Warren or Paul Kent's decision to make.

The truth is there have been so many great players who have played our game that an exclusive group doesn't do our code justice. The Rugby League hall of fame deserves more prominence.

With that said, it was only a matter of time before Johns got there. Despite all the controversy he was one of the best players I've seen play and he basically did it all.

Congrats to him.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Mal should have gone in first purely for longevity and leadership as he achueved everything Joey did and more (except the dally m's) Joey was great and as it is based only his selection long term I am fine with but clearly someone like Mal deserved a spot first. On Johns not getting picked at 7, this was largely down to Andersen picking his club halfback for Australia in Kimmorley and Johns had the quality to play 9 where Noddy didn't that way they could have them both that is until Buderus came along and changed the logic there. The injuries also hampered him from long stretches of dominance which plays against him too. Lockyer is at worst just as deserving but I would say more so down to longevity and mastering two positions.

Locky wasn't eligible, you have to be retired for 5 years to be eligible

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
You're taking it too seriously, in my opinion.

My apologies for being to serious about illegal drug use in sport, I don't know what I was thinking. You must think the drug testers are a crazy bunch, those guys need to chill the f*** out hey?!?

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
My apologies for being to serious about illegal drug use in sport, I don't know what I was thinking. You must think the drug testers are a crazy bunch, those guys need to chill the f*** out hey?!?

Alright, you're correct.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Johns is immortalised by media jizz. His achievements are poor given his reputation.

Unread

Active Now

• The Don
  • BroncosAlways
  • barker
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Scorchie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.