Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

His passing is too slow, like everyone else says. One of the slowest in the comp even. The thing is that it can be improved, you just keep practising picking up and releasing in one motion. It's like learning a guitar. And you should know what you are going to do before you get there, so you don't just waste more time.

I thought his first full season with us was good, but ever since then he hasn't really kicked on.

The don't ask nick slyney to do it because outside of the broncos no one knows who the **** he is.
yeah, uh, that's kinda my point. They won't use a nobody so they use someone who they think is established.

McCullough gets the idea he's one of the big timers now in the Broncos, and why wouldn't he? Been there since he was 12, gone through the ranks, starting hooker at Brisbane, performs like shit, gets his face on tv?

yeah, uh, that's kinda my point. They won't use a nobody so they use someone who they think is established.

McCullough gets the idea he's one of the big timers now in the Broncos, and why wouldn't he? Been there since he was 12, gone through the ranks, starting hooker at Brisbane, performs like ****, gets his face on tv?

Sure

I'm very mixed on McCullough.

No doubt the club views him as a long term fixture at the club and somebody that could lead them to success down the line but he hasn't kicked on yet. Defensively he's improved leaps and bounds since 2009 and in 2012 I'd dare say he was one of the best defensive players we've ever had but his offence has always lacked consistensy and command.

It still feels like he's going through the motions out there and approaches every game the same way. Sometimes, the opposition don't know how to deal with him so he looks a million bucks but when they do he's made to look pretty ordinary.

I don't think Hook should do anything too radical yet. Bring in Baptiste or Granville onto the bench, allow Hunt to develop as a half and go from there. If Macca continues to stick with his pattern then give him the boot.

I don't think he should sacked right away, but on the same token he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that his performance levels are not good enough.

Those every blue moon performances where he performs a solid 8/10 or better, tell him these should be the standard, not the purple patch.
It's great that he's a good defender but let's face it, most hookers are - we need him to be more than a tackle sponge who kicks the occasional 40/20.

He can't create for the life of him, I don't even know how many times he's ran from dummy half close to the line, sucked in a player then played a short ball off for someone to score, ala Smith, but I'm guessing it's not a very high total. Not that that's the only way to create a hooker, but it's probably one of the easiest/opportunistic plays for a hooker and we don't see much of it.

Last edited:
I don't think Hook should do anything too radical yet. Bring in Baptiste or Granville onto the bench, allow Hunt to develop as a half and go from there. If Macca continues to stick with his pattern then give him the boot.

That's the best option for sure. I've been wanting a real hooker on the bench for god knows how long, either to get McCullough to start trying to take the next step seriously, or if he can't, have a real replacement ready.

He's a player who has gone backwards with Griffin at the helm. I thought he had his best years under Henjack. I often think he gets overly critisised on this forum as there are a lot of Baptise fan boys around here. His service to the forwards has improved a lot this year and he is becoming smarter when to dart out of dummy half and grab some extra metres and a quick play the ball. He would be in the top 5 defensive hookers in the game, so there is a lot to like about his game. Yes, he could service his halves better, but recently his mojo has been affected by Hodges and now Norman taking dummy half runs.

I'm still just waiting for it to click with Macca. Maybe it will never happen but I am still hopeful. I think Hook should tell him the team is yours and you are going to play 80 minutes. You are the one that needs to guide this team around the park so do it. Back yourself, look to kick out of dummy half more and be creative.

He's a player who has gone backwards with Griffin at the helm. I thought he had his best years under Henjack. I often think he gets overly critisised on this forum as there are a lot of Baptise fan boys around here. His service to the forwards has improved a lot this year and he is becoming smarter when to dart out of dummy half and grab some extra metres and a quick play the ball. He would be in the top 5 defensive hookers in the game, so there is a lot to like about his game. Yes, he could service his halves better, but recently his mojo has been affected by Hodges and now Norman taking dummy half runs.
Taking into account our halves are not very quick, it's a massive issue imo!

Look at how much Thurston struggles at the Cows without good service from his hooker, as opposed to the average halves at the Dogs or Souffs, who have much more time to think and execute thanks to their hookers...

Just another one of our squad who had a great first year and has not kicked on. He's getting by on potential. I don't think he will ever be dropped. The broncos have him earmarked as a future captain, if reports are true. Probably why he's always heavily featured in marketing campaigns. He needs to lift his game considerably. Here's something I noticed the other day:

Broncos Player of the Year Winners since 2000 (in order):

Sailor
Webcke
Lockyer
Lockyer
Civoniceva
Webcke
Civoniceva
Civoniceva
Thaiday
Parker
Hoffman
Lockyer
McCullough

What's wrong with this picture? They must just give 'em out these days.

It's all well and good saying "Sack McCullough" or "send him to ressies for a few weeks" but the problem is there is no hooker banging on the door to unseat him as the starting hooker. He's the best hooker we have at the club, therefore he will start until such time as he's not.

[MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION], [MENTION=8219]Splinter[/MENTION].
Jayden Berrell was highly rated and I agree, as I've seen the kid play a lot of times. He's a talent, very quick and with excellent service in the juniors and schoolboys.

I haven't seen him recently in the U20's at the Broncs. Just wondering how he's progressing there and if you guys reckon he's a chance of becoming a FG hooker?

Splinter is more qualified than myself but the impression I get is that while he is coming along he's merely average at this point.

Cam Cullen was stealing his thunder for the most part.

Exactly as BP has said. He is no doubt he first choice dummy half of the U20s and his defence is okay but attack wise has not stood out with anything exciting. He has only just turned 18 and is probably still trying to find his feet. There are a lot of large 20 year olds charging at him every week

What happened to Jake Granville? He played 2 games and didn't shame himself. I'd give him or Baptiste a go. At this point, what have we got to lose? At the very least, McCullough gets a rocket and the other two get some experience.

Exactly as BP has said. He is no doubt he first choice dummy half of the U20s and his defence is okay but attack wise has not stood out with anything exciting. He has only just turned 18 and is probably still trying to find his feet. There are a lot of large 20 year olds charging at him every week
Funny that, his attack definitely used to be his strength, but good to know his defence has improved. Like you said, he's still pretty young and raw, but I hope he'll gain the confidence he used to show...

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • broncomax
  • Spike
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Organix
  • mitch222
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.