Anthony Milford Discussion

Could be just that he is filling our naturally (polynesian build). But I'm not sure what sort of player he is going to be if he pushes towards 100 kg. He's only 22 so it's likely he'll fill out even more.

Does the 'typical' polynesian diet have anything to do with their 'filling out?'

Because I'm pretty sure Adam Blair is polynesian... That's what he looked like on the right in the 2016 pre-season. Obviously must be that polynesian diet eh?

Couldn't just be hard work in training and a controlled diet. Nah, genetics is where it's at...

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 80
If Milford was not an issue this thread would not exist.

Slowly some people are starting to see that he is not the wonder boy everyone thinks he is, and playing 3 great games a year is just not good enough.
In what year did he not have more than 3 great games?

I agree. I wouldn't call him overweight. He has definitely filled out as he's grown older but to say he is fat is a bit much. To say he has lost his speed as well....who knows. He hasn't really had the chance to show it this year as he has been heavily marked because he is stuck in a pattern of football that doesn't suit him.

He is not fat, but he is at a playing weight that has clearly affected his acceleration and top speed negatively.

The idea that he has to be heavy (by NRL standards) to play 'in the line' is ridiculous and has bitten us on the arse repeatedly with Hunt, Barba, Hoffman and now Milford. Someone seems to think that our players need to be bigger and heavier than the rest of the comp, which is fine, until it affects players negatively, ie: any who rely on pace and agility as dominant attributes of their game, you know, like halves...

Does the 'typical' polynesian diet have anything to do with their 'filling out?'

Because I'm pretty sure Adam Blair is polynesian... That's what he looked like on the right in the 2016 pre-season. Obviously must be that polynesian diet eh?

Couldn't just be hard work in training and a controlled diet. Nah, genetics is where it's at...
I love how Thaiday had a tattoo removed from his arm but got a new one placed on his torso. Well played Thaiday...

You don't need to be Polynesian and have a noticeable stomach. That's a stereotype. Anyone can slim down, it sounds like an excuse fat entitled women make.

If Milford was not an issue this thread would not exist.

Slowly some people are starting to see that he is not the wonder boy everyone thinks he is, and playing 3 great games a year is just not good enough.

Greg Inglis says hi.

Fake

He is not fat, but he is at a playing weight that has clearly affected his acceleration and top speed negatively.

The idea that he has to be heavy (by NRL standards) to play 'in the line' is ridiculous and has bitten us on the arse repeatedly with Hunt, Barba, Hoffman and now Milford. Someone seems to think that our players need to be bigger and heavier than the rest of the comp, which is fine, until it affects players negatively, ie: any who rely on pace and agility as dominant attributes of their game, you know, like halves...

You say clearly affecting his speed and acceleration, but his testing for these things has not changed.

His issues are that he is down on confidence, and form. This is nothing to do with training. It's much like an opening batsmen, who is middling everything in the nets, but can't score a run when it comes to game day.

Milf is working hard and doing all the right things. His speed and acceleration are still there but he is down on confidence.

It's only going to take one or two moments in a game, and he will be back.

Also remember that players get worked out in the NRL. He has had a few years for oppositions to work defence against him and negate his skill set. Milford now is at the stage where he needs to adapt and change his game, and add more skills to his arsenal to ensure he continues to evolve and improve as a player.
I have confidence that this will happen.

And Maranta. I'm serious. He even said he was glad to be off the Hook diet and he did perform better - initially anyway.
Also when were Hunt and Hoffman too big?

Didn't Hunt have a nickname based on how fat he was?

I don't think that had anything to do with Hook though, rather how unfit he was heading into the 2010 pre-season.

Hoffman blamed his poor 2012 on how fat he was after his wedding. That honest interview earned him the ire of the BHQ community and basically made him the most detested player in Broncos history.

You say clearly affecting his speed and acceleration, but his testing for these things has not changed.

His issues are that he is down on confidence, and form. This is nothing to do with training. It's much like an opening batsmen, who is middling everything in the nets, but can't score a run when it comes to game day.

Milf is working hard and doing all the right things. His speed and acceleration are still there but he is down on confidence.

Also remember that players get worked out in the NRL. He has had a few years for oppositions to work defence against him and negate his skill set. Milford now is at the stage where he needs to adapt and change his game, and add more skills to his arsenal to ensure he continues to evolve and improve as a player.

Do you have confidence that we will land someone good to partner him next year? Cause i really don't see milf leading a team around atm

Do you have confidence that we will land someone good to partner him next year? Cause i really don't see milf leading a team around atm

For the money he is demanding he will need to learn ... and fast.

especially if the cap doesn't hit the initially predicted levels

My concern is that we are offering milf around $1 million per season, I don't see what he's done to earn the right to that sort of money. He was great in 2015 and was playing well at the start of last season, but he was below par in the back end of last year and has been playing poorly to start this season. Why are we rewarding him for playing poorly? Are we offering him the largest contract in the clubs history because he has the potential to be great? My opinion is that he's not consistent enough to command that sort of money. For that sort of money we should be getting a complete player, someone who
Can close out a game( a serious problem we have had for a while now) and possesses a consistent kicking game. Im actually a fan of milfs and hope he improves and stays with the club I just don't think he should be rewarded with that sort of money.

The problem is, with his confidence dropping he's getting involved less and less - how does one regain confidence if he's not willing to inject himself more frequently?

For all the Hunt hate he gets, at least you can see he tries every week. it may not come off and he still is questionable kicking, but you can't knock his determination.

For the money he is demanding he will need to learn ... and fast.

especially if the cap doesn't hit the initially predicted levels
The cowboys have 2 origin havles , centre , backrower (possible 2) and prop , throw in lolo and mclean next year . That's two million dollar players and the others on good coin , surely we can get a morecthan solid half

The cowboys have 2 origin havles , centre , backrower (possible 2) and prop , throw in lolo and mclean next year . That's two million dollar players and the others on good coin , surely we can get a morecthan solid half

and they based those signings on a 10 million-odd salary cap. (besides Morgan IIRC, Morgan wasn't an origin player when he signed the contract)

I also maintain that if you are a half demanding $1 million+ a season ... then you are the go-to guy. they guy who needs to lead the team around the park, the clutch player. the other half is there to support you. But the million dollar half is the main guy.

if you aren't capable of that or don't want to be that guy ... then don't demand and don't expect $1 million+ a season.

and they based those signings on a 10 million-odd salary cap. (besides Morgan IIRC, Morgan wasn't an origin player when he signed the contract)

I also maintain that if you are a half demanding $1 million+ a season ... then you are the go-to guy. they guy who needs to lead the team around the park, the clutch player. the other half is there to support you. But the million dollar half is the main guy.

if you aren't capable of that or don't want to be that guy ... then don't demand and don't expect $1 million+ a season.

I completely agree . But neither milf or hunt are those guys and macca is no cam smith, so that leaves us up the creek with a half of 1 paddle !! Its concerning to say the least.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.