Anthony Milford Discussion

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Those stats just prove how bad Milford has been.

He's made 6 more errors than Hunt and has made 2 extra missed tackles despite only having HALF the tackling workload as Hunt and LESS possessions (Possible errors). You could argue that Gillett helps in a lot of those tackles, but it wouldn't be enough to make the Missed Tackle % that drastically different.

I also find the run / kick statistics interesting. Milford has had 209 possessions and has run or kick on 63 of them (30.1%), Hunt has had 225 possessions and has run or kick on 82 of them (36.4%).

Ideally I'd imagine that you'd want both of your halves around the same %, with your Five-Eighth running a lot more than your Halfback and your Halfback kicking a lot more than your Five-Eighth. Milford should be setting himself the goal of running and taking on the line at least 10 times per game, every game.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Honestly I question the accuracy of all of the stats I've seen this year. I feel like they're guessing. Also we have already done the whole Hunt/Milford thing, with Milford winning every round questionably via judges decision.. Why does Hunt being average mean it is ok for Milford to be too?

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I must have missed when Hunt and Milford became props. Who gives a shit how many metres they've run for? Their job is to set up tries, kick well and control our attacking structures.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Let's look at the stats so far this season...

PossessionsRunsMetersTacklesMissedKicksMetersErrors
Sharks​
Hunt​
54​
4​
31​
15​
3​
11​
459​
2​
-
Milford
Cows​
Hunt​
52​
8​
63​
24​
2​
13​
497​
0​
-
Milford
Storm​
Hunt​
41​
4​
50​
24​
10​
13​
654​
1​
-
Milford
Raiders​
Hunt​
35​
10​
80​
20​
3​
6​
141​
0​
-
Milford
Dogs​
Hunt​
43​
4​
37​
27​
4​
9​
292​
1​
-​
Milford
TOTAL​
Hunt​
225​
30​
261​
110​
22​
52​
2043​
4​
-
Milford
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His missed tackle % and errors are certainly concerning, but he's had as much ball in his hands as Hunt, is kicking more and despite the dancing around, is still making more meters with the ball in hand than his halves partner.

Obviously, no one disagrees he's making too many errors, and his defense is not good (he has little help in compared to Hunt, who has the best defensive backrower in the comp next to him...), but he's certainly not hiding from the ball. He just isn't as effective and threatening as we're used to.

I maintain that the current tactics are stifling him, as he's at his best when allowed to roam and pick his moments.

I want drop out numbers god damn it. Its all about repeat fucking sets

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I must have missed when Hunt and Milford became props. Who gives a shit how many metres they've run for? Their job is to set up tries, kick well and control our attacking structures.

It's not as relevent for Hunt, who's job is to control the game with his kicking game. But for Milford it's extremely important, he is (was?) the best running half in the entire NRL, he had games in 2015 where he was surpassing 200 metres from memory, we need that Milford back, not the Milford that runs 3-6 times per game for a lousy 40 metres.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Those stats just prove how bad Milford has been.

He's made 6 more errors than Hunt and has made 2 extra missed tackles despite only having HALF the tackling workload as Hunt and LESS possessions (Possible errors). You could argue that Gillett helps in a lot of those tackles, but it wouldn't be enough to make the Missed Tackle % that drastically different.

I also find the run / kick statistics interesting. Milford has had 209 possessions and has run or kick on 63 of them (30.1%), Hunt has had 225 possessions and has run or kick on 82 of them (36.4%).

Ideally I'd imagine that you'd want both of your halves around the same %, with your Five-Eighth running a lot more than your Halfback and your Halfback kicking a lot more than your Five-Eighth. Milford should be setting himself the goal of running and taking on the line at least 10 times per game, every game.
No one denied he hasn't been good, but it's not by lack of trying or for being "fat". That's just the perception of some people, and besides my eyes, I would trust @Smokin' Joe info on that.

The errors come from trying too hard imo, and his poor defense is certainly paired to whom he has inside and outside of him. Glenn and Reed/Opacic are a vastly different proposition from Thaiday and Moga in that aspect.
I definitely believe Gillett makes a huge difference. I'll give you a hint... in which game did Hunt missed more tackles (by far), and in which game did Gillett go off early under the concussion rule?

It's quite clear to me that Milford is being given more responsibility in the kicking / game control area, because Hunt is leaving, and just isn't very good at it. We also don't have a halfback waiting or available anytime soon that will cover those aspects.

Regardless, this isn't excusing his evident poor form, but the assertions made about weight, lack of interest and or effort, which disguise the elephant in the room... our return to Bennett ball.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Regardless, this isn't excusing his evident poor form, but the assertions made about weight, lack of interest and or effort, which disguise the elephant in the room... our return to Bennett ball.

All of these things are happening, you're the only person who for whatever reason can't wrap your head around him being 11 kilos heavier than he was in Canberra.

I agree that our attack looks stagnant and that could be a coaching issue, but there's absolutely zero doubt that he's too big (Look, I didn't even use the word fat, there's a chance that he's gained too much muscle as well..)

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
All of these things are happening, you're the only person who for whatever reason can't wrap your head around him being 11 kilos heavier than he was in Canberra.

I agree that our attack looks stagnant and that could be a coaching issue, but there's absolutely zero doubt that he's too big (Look, I didn't even use the word fat, there's a chance that he's gained too much muscle as well..)
I'm not the only person. People in the know seem to agree with me...
He may be a bit bigger (naturally when you go from 19 to 22), but hasn't lost speed or agility according to them either. Guess who I believe?

P.S. The weight difference keeps increasing too... 11 kgs now! :notsureifserious:

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm not the only person. People in the know seem to agree with me...
He may be a bit bigger (naturally when you go from 19 to 22), but hasn't lost speed or agility according to them either. Guess who I believe?

P.S. The weight difference keeps increasing too... 11 kgs now! :notsureifserious:

8 kg, 11 kg, whatever, he's way heavier.

I couldn't care less what some pre-season testing at training tells them, I care what I see when I watch games, he's slower than he's ever been, he's heavier than he's ever been, he's worse than he's ever been.

Test that.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
With the team being coached to stand so flat in attack with little depth or shape, Milford could be 80 kgs and still run into a brick wall just as well as he is being forced to do now.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

I couldn't care less what some pre-season testing at training tells them, I care what I see when I watch games, he's slower than he's ever been, he's heavier than he's ever been, he's worse than he's ever been.

Test that.

If those tests say he hasn't lost speed or agility, then he hasn't lost speed or agility.

Those are facts.

He is worse then he has ever been, but it's not because of the reasons you keep banging on about. It's a confidence issue. The defence has figured him out and he is struggling to adapt. Once he does, we'll see the old Milford back.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I want drop out numbers god damn it. Its all about repeat fucking sets
Yeah, repeating the bullshit ad nauseum doesn't make it any more real.

It's about being capable of getting repeat sets when nothing's on, instead of a hail mary pass, dying with the ball or a bomb for the opposition to catch comfortably. They're definitely getting better at it too...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Test that.
Yeah, why care about facts when your perception tells you otherwise?
Perception has never fooled anyone, right...? :superhappythumbsup:

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
If those tests say he hasn't lost speed or agility, then he hasn't lost speed or agility.

Those are facts.

He is worse then he has ever been, but it's not because of the reasons you keep banging on about. It's a confidence issue.

Oddly enough there's actually variables when it comes speed and agility with football players, if you aren't aware. Did you know that it's actually harder to run to the opposition try line when you're carrying a football and evading opposition players? I highly doubt they tested his agility and speed in game scenarios, which means it's pretty much irrelevant information.

If we REALLY wanted to compare we'd have to do it in a game situation (i.e - wait for him to get a line-break and compare how long it takes him to get from x to y, matched against a similar line-break from earlier in his career.)

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

It's about being capable of getting repeat sets when nothing's on, instead of a hail mary pass, dying with the ball or a bomb for the opposition to catch comfortably. They're definitely getting better at it too...

Well the whole attacking problem has started since its all about repeat sets. I say, **** the repeat sets, if we score a 23pts a game off no repeat sets, then **** it, I can deal with it. Since we have starting getting repeat sets we have gone down dramatically in attack. I think the boys get too frustrated too easily with forcing repeat sets and getting no results

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Oddly enough there's actually variables when it comes speed and agility with football players, if you aren't aware. Did you know that it's actually harder to run to the opposition try line when you're carrying a football and evading opposition players? I highly doubt they tested his agility and speed in game scenarios, which means it's pretty much irrelevant information.

If we REALLY wanted to compare we'd have to do it in a game situation (i.e - wait for him to get a line-break and compare how long it takes him to get from x to y, matched against a similar line-break from earlier in his career.)
WTF? It doesn't matter whether they test game scenarios (which would surprise me), as long as they're not comparing apples and oranges.
The speed and agility comparisons will be made season to season under the same circumstances. If the test results in 2015, 2016 and 2017 are similar, so will his speed and agility under game circumstances.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Not fun when people repeat stuff is it?

Active Now

• theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.