Anthony Milford Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I completely agree . But neither milf or hunt are those guys and macca is no cam smith, so that leaves us up the creek with a half of 1 paddle !! Its concerning to say the least.

all true ... but my point remains that if Milf can't learn to be that guy then we shouldn't be paying him the money he is demanding since we will need to go an buy that guy (who should be getting the bigger paycheck since he will be our more important player)

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Does the 'typical' polynesian diet have anything to do with their 'filling out?'

Because I'm pretty sure Adam Blair is polynesian... That's what he looked like on the right in the 2016 pre-season. Obviously must be that polynesian diet eh?

Couldn't just be hard work in training and a controlled diet. Nah, genetics is where it's at...

Hahahaha

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
You say clearly affecting his speed and acceleration, but his testing for these things has not changed.

His issues are that he is down on confidence, and form. This is nothing to do with training. It's much like an opening batsmen, who is middling everything in the nets, but can't score a run when it comes to game day.

Milf is working hard and doing all the right things. His speed and acceleration are still there but he is down on confidence.

It's only going to take one or two moments in a game, and he will be back.

This is another reason I was annoyed with the Thaiday/Milford try tbh. I imagine scoring that would have done wonders for his confidence.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The problem is, with his confidence dropping he's getting involved less and less - how does one regain confidence if he's not willing to inject himself more frequently?

For all the Hunt hate he gets, at least you can see he tries every week. it may not come off and he still is questionable kicking, but you can't knock his determination.
Completely disagree with that, as far as Milford goes. He is definitely trying, but things are just not happening.
You can definitely notice he is improving his skills in other aspects, especially kicking, but he is in my opinion trying too hard, and needs to go back to basics:
Eyes on the ball until it's safely secured in your hands, simple short passes that stick before venturing into the tricky risky ones, keep supporting plays, and eventually things will click.

Having said that, our tactics and the weather haven't been very helpful for either of our halves...

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Completely disagree with that, as far as Milford goes. He is definitely trying, but things are just not happening.
You can definitely notice he is improving his skills in other aspects, especially kicking, but he is in my opinion trying too hard, and needs to go back to basics:
Eyes on the ball until it's safely secured in your hands, simple short passes that stick before venturing into the tricky risky ones, keep supporting plays, and eventually things will click.

Having said that, our tactics and the weather haven't been very helpful for either of our halves...

100% agree with all of the above. Like I said, he needs a few things to go his way and he will be back to his best.

I said it earlier, it's only round 6. We started on fire last year and that didn't get us anywhere. It's a long season. Trust in what the coaching staff and guys are building.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
all true ... but my point remains that if Milf can't learn to be that guy then we shouldn't be paying him the money he is demanding since we will need to go an buy that guy (who should be getting the bigger paycheck since he will be our more important player)

Should we let him leave though? He could be the perfect foil to that other half ,and its obvious we want to keep him . It will be interesting to see which way we go.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

Agree to disagree, I thought Milf went into his shell against the dogs whereas Hunt kept on trying with mixed results, if IMO, he was guilty of trying too hard, he would at least be noticeable albeit neglibible in impact ...

@Smokin' Joe you keep saying it's going to happen and it's only round x, but each round is progressing, we're still not seeing any dividends of this improvement or the new attack structure ... it's normal for people to be skeptical. Those on the negative side are quite happy to accept we could be wrong and he'll improve out of sight ... are you willing to accept that no, we don't see a sudden improvement and that this is the type of football one can expect this season? if not, why not?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
These excuses are ridiculous. Milford has been one of the worst players in the comp this season and that is absolutely no exaggeration. He has been lazy and has not been trying enough. Hunt at his worst looked like he was trying and he looked shattered when he couldn't pull things off. Milford looks the same from minute 1 to minute 80. His head isn't there. He can barely even catch a ball for ***** sake.

Also, anyone else missing the days where we used to score tries instead of getting repeat sets? Me too..

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
You say clearly affecting his speed and acceleration, but his testing for these things has not changed.

His issues are that he is down on confidence, and form. This is nothing to do with training. It's much like an opening batsmen, who is middling everything in the nets, but can't score a run when it comes to game day.

Milf is working hard and doing all the right things. His speed and acceleration are still there but he is down on confidence.

It's only going to take one or two moments in a game, and he will be back.

Also remember that players get worked out in the NRL. He has had a few years for oppositions to work defence against him and negate his skill set. Milford now is at the stage where he needs to adapt and change his game, and add more skills to his arsenal to ensure he continues to evolve and improve as a player.
I have confidence that this will happen.

Outrageous!

You mean to tell me you're using data and testing from professionals? Hoops and Corvo live to fight another day.

That'll never catch on.

kat00

kat00

NYC Player
Apr 25, 2014
You mean the guy who was the ACTUAL best on ground in the 2015 decider? He is struggling and it is a total risk to re-sign him at what he is asking but given what he can do when he is happy and confident, it is worth taking. The key is to get his future halfback partner right and just let him have some freedom.

Yeah, that's the guy.....
In 2015 MILF was a relative unknown and he had all the freedom he wanted.
Since then the opposition have worked him out and he has been contained.
Is it his fault?
Dunno, game plan looks shithouse to me and the forward seem to be contained as well, everyone here would or should know the stats.
I honestly thought that the game plan against the dogs would be just keep turning those big fat turds around and let MILF run amok when they were tying. Nah, SFA.
Of all my concerns with MILF is his attitude to the rough stuff, somebody tackles him hard and he sulks on the ground looking at the ref with a look on his face of poor me, they got me and the ref wont give me a penalty.
JUST GET UP AND PLAY THE BALL YOU SOFTCOCK, YOUR LETTING THE DEFENSE GET ORGANIZED.
By the way, I'm not sure if he learnt that from Darius or he taught Darius.
Either way, I reckon the kid has had it his own way for so long I doubt he can ever rise to the heights of 2015, especially when his forwards make half the meters than the rest of the forwards in the NRL

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Outrageous!

You mean to tell me you're using data and testing from professionals? Hoops and Corvo live to fight another day.

That'll never catch on.

Riding-coattails.jpg

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
These excuses are ridiculous. Milford has been one of the worst players in the comp this season and that is absolutely no exaggeration. He has been lazy and has not been trying enough. Hunt at his worst looked like he was trying and he looked shattered when he couldn't pull things off. Milford looks the same from minute 1 to minute 80. His head isn't there. He can barely even catch a ball for ***** sake.

Also, anyone else missing the days where we used to score tries instead of getting repeat sets? Me too..

Your ridiculous! How can you say he isn't trying and isn't pissed when he ***** up ? You need to open that other eye there champ ! Hunt has neen solid but definitely hasn't taken our games by the throat , like the dominant half should.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I dunno why it's so hard for some people to believe Milford is a little overweight. When he was killing sides, he was noticeably skinnier. It's obvious he's down on confidence too, but that doesn't mean it can just be one thing or the other. I've seen players down on confidence who could still show their speed and acceleration. Down on confidence affects his handling more than his speed IMO.

I do believe he can come better, and I'm really hoping for it too.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Should we let him leave though? He could be the perfect foil to that other half ,and its obvious we want to keep him . It will be interesting to see which way we go.

The simple fact is that you can not win a premiership with out that controling half/clutch player ...

and If Milford can't be it, then we need to go to the market to buy that half. If that means we can't offer Milford as much coin, then so be it.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Your ridiculous! How can you say he isn't trying and isn't pissed when he ***** up ? You need to open that other eye there champ ! Hunt has neen solid but definitely hasn't taken our games by the throat , like the dominant half should.
Hunt isn't a dominant half. We have spoken about this non-stop for a year now. I can say he isn't trying by watching him, on TV and live at games. He doesn't organize anything and if he actually catches the ball he side steps 25 times and makes no metres. He is looking for ways to avoid touching the ball. He's more worried about signing his million a year contract than he is about earning it. Don't even get me started on his defense. Even Ashley Taylor is better defensively and that's saying something.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah, that's the guy.....
In 2015 MILF was a relative unknown and he had all the freedom he wanted.
Since then the opposition have worked him out and he has been contained.
Is it his fault?
Dunno, game plan looks shithouse to me and the forward seem to be contained as well, everyone here would or should know the stats.
I honestly thought that the game plan against the dogs would be just keep turning those big fat turds around and let MILF run amok when they were tying. Nah, SFA.
Of all my concerns with MILF is his attitude to the rough stuff, somebody tackles him hard and he sulks on the ground looking at the ref with a look on his face of poor me, they got me and the ref wont give me a penalty.
JUST GET UP AND PLAY THE BALL YOU SOFTCOCK, YOUR LETTING THE DEFENSE GET ORGANIZED.
By the way, I'm not sure if he learnt that from Darius or he taught Darius.
Either way, I reckon the kid has had it his own way for so long I doubt he can ever rise to the heights of 2015, especially when his forwards make half the meters than the rest of the forwards in the NRL
I'm obviously firmly on the anti-Milf train at the moment but he doesn't get up slowly because he's been hit hard. He gets up slowly because of third and fourth efforts in the tackle that would be penalized against any other team. Boyd was doing it too and teams were staying on them longer every week because they knew they could get away with it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Hunt isn't a dominant half. We have spoken about this non-stop for a year now. I can say he isn't trying by watching him, on TV and live at games. He doesn't organize anything and if he actually catches the ball he side steps 25 times and makes no metres. He is looking for ways to avoid touching the ball. He's more worried about signing his million a year contract than he is about earning it. Don't even get me started on his defense. Even Ashley Taylor is better defensively and that's saying something.
Let's look at the stats so far this season...

PossessionsRunsMetersTacklesMissedKicksMetersErrors
Sharks​
Hunt​
54​
4​
31​
15​
3​
11​
459​
2​
-
Milford
Cows​
Hunt​
52​
8​
63​
24​
2​
13​
497​
0​
-
Milford
Storm​
Hunt​
41​
4​
50​
24​
10​
13​
654​
1​
-
Milford
Raiders​
Hunt​
35​
10​
80​
20​
3​
6​
141​
0​
-
Milford
Dogs​
Hunt​
43​
4​
37​
27​
4​
9​
292​
1​
-​
Milford
TOTAL​
Hunt​
225​
30​
261​
110​
22​
52​
2043​
4​
-
Milford
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

His missed tackle % and errors are certainly concerning, but he's had as much ball in his hands as Hunt, is kicking more and despite the dancing around, is still making more meters with the ball in hand than his halves partner.

Obviously, no one disagrees he's making too many errors, and his defense is not good (he has little help in compared to Hunt, who has the best defensive backrower in the comp next to him...), but he's certainly not hiding from the ball. He just isn't as effective and threatening as we're used to.

I maintain that the current tactics are stifling him, as he's at his best when allowed to roam and pick his moments.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Bravo well said
All he has to do now is lose some weight

Active Now

• Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • davidp
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.