Anthony Milford Discussion

Well the whole attacking problem has started since its all about repeat sets. I say, **** the repeat sets, if we score a 23pts a game off no repeat sets, then **** it, I can deal with it. Since we have starting getting repeat sets we have gone down dramatically in attack. I think the boys get too frustrated too easily with forcing repeat sets and getting no results
You can't be serious. When did it become all about repeat sets?

I mean, I may have missed something here... is that something Bennett said, or is it simply the fact our attack is spluttering and when out of options, our halves are actually doing the next best thing, which is keeping the pressure on the opposition?

You can't be serious. When did it become all about repeat sets?

I mean, I may have missed something here... is that something Bennett said, or is it simply the fact our attack is spluttering and when out of options, our halves are actually doing the next best thing, which is keeping the pressure on the opposition?

We used to score a lot of our tries off the last tackle play because we weren't too scared to roll it in the in goal and get a repeat set. We need to start chancing our arm a lot more

We used to score a lot of our tries off the last tackle play because we weren't too scared to roll it in the in goal and get a repeat set. We need to start chancing our arm a lot more
We aren't getting all of our repeat sets on the last tackle either, so we are taking the easy option.

WTF? It doesn't matter whether they test game scenarios (which would surprise me), as long as they're not comparing apples and oranges.
The speed and agility comparisons will be made season to season under the same circumstances. If the test results in 2015, 2016 and 2017 are similar, so will his speed and agility under game circumstances.

Dude.. It does make an enormous difference, you'll find that athletes who gain a lot of muscle (Happens in the NBA all the time) over a short period of time will often have a similar top speed, but when you apply it to a game scenario where they have to swerve, cut and move laterally whilst maintaining that top speed, that's where you'll notice a massive drop off.

Take my word for it.

Oddly enough there's actually variables when it comes speed and agility with football players, if you aren't aware. Did you know that it's actually harder to run to the opposition try line when you're carrying a football and evading opposition players? I highly doubt they tested his agility and speed in game scenarios, which means it's pretty much irrelevant information.

If we REALLY wanted to compare we'd have to do it in a game situation (i.e - wait for him to get a line-break and compare how long it takes him to get from x to y, matched against a similar line-break from earlier in his career.)

Game situation testing is what they wear GPS for during games.

We get how far they ran, percent of sprinting and top speed.

Game data is easy.

Game situation testing is what they wear GPS for during games.

We get how far they ran, percent of sprinting and top speed.

Game data is easy.

Appreciate the input, but you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Read my latest post in this thread to see what I was referring to in terms of game situations.

All of these things are happening, you're the only person who for whatever reason can't wrap your head around him being 11 kilos heavier than he was in Canberra.

I agree that our attack looks stagnant and that could be a coaching issue, but there's absolutely zero doubt that he's too big (Look, I didn't even use the word fat, there's a chance that he's gained too much muscle as well..)

He was a teenager then ! Morgan and johnson are 90+ kgs are they to fat ??? He was always going to have a stocky build.

Oddly enough there's actually variables when it comes speed and agility with football players, if you aren't aware. Did you know that it's actually harder to run to the opposition try line when you're carrying a football and evading opposition players? I highly doubt they tested his agility and speed in game scenarios, which means it's pretty much irrelevant information.

If we REALLY wanted to compare we'd have to do it in a game situation (i.e - wait for him to get a line-break and compare how long it takes him to get from x to y, matched against a similar line-break from earlier in his career.)

So you don't believe @Smokin' Joe, a guy with actually facts and information because it doesn't suit you're agenda?

I feel hunt is going to kill it next year with Widdop controlling things. Plus the dragons are killing it too with out that JD guy

Get it through your head " JD didn't coach the dragons " your completely wong !

So you don't believe @Smokin' Joe, a guy with actually facts and information because it doesn't suit you're agenda?

Who said I don't believe his facts? I believe that Milford tested a similar top speed to previous years, I don't believe he was tested under the correct circumstances to determine if he had lost lateral quickness and mobility, which to the naked eye, he has considerably.

Appreciate the input, but you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about. Read my latest post in this thread to see what I was referring to in terms of game situations.

Yeah I did; read you say you can't Test during games.

Dude.. It does make an enormous difference, you'll find that athletes who gain a lot of muscle (Happens in the NBA all the time) over a short period of time will often have a similar top speed, but when you apply it to a game scenario where they have to swerve, cut and move laterally whilst maintaining that top speed, that's where you'll notice a massive drop off.

Take my word for it.
You may be right about your information in regards to short time build up of muscle, but that is because the training is almost exclusively focussed on said muscle build-up, leaving aerobic and agility training second and last. I doubt that was he case with Milford at the Broncos.
Besides, they test speed AND agility, and there really isn't that much difference between Milford from last season and this one to warrant such a difference.

I've played sports (soccer mainly) for many, many years, where I built up muscle and weight without losing speed and agility... take my word for it.

Yeah I did; read you say you can't Test during games.

Once again, I really appreciate the input, but I never said that, I said in game scenarios, not in games.

You may be right about your information in regards to short time build up of muscle, but that is because the training is almost exclusively focussed on said muscle build-up, leaving aerobic and agility training second and last. I doubt that was he case with Milford at the Broncos.
Besides, they test speed AND agility, and there really isn't that much difference between Milford from last season and this one to warrant such a difference.

I've played sports (soccer mainly) for many, many years, where I built up muscle and weight without losing speed and agility... take my word for it.

That's not true at all, when athletes are forced to gain muscle they do it via a weight program, but they wouldn't "leave aerobic and agility training to second and last", these programs are specifically designed to bulk the player up whilst trying to maintain or even increase the said players acceleration, aerobic fitness & fast twitch muscle fibers.

Even for someone as one-eyed as you, surely you can see that he has deteriorated in those departments over the last 12-18 months? (Even a 5% decrease in those areas would help explain his current dip in confidence and performance) I'm not sure what training program Milford has been put on since the middle of 2015, or if he's on any program at all, but it needs some tinkering in my non-professional opinion.

giphy.gif

I suppose what isn't in dispute is that Milford (and the whole squad) is in the hands of very well qualified and highly paid training and coaching staff. One can therefore assume that unless Milford is dropped in the next week or so, the club is ok with his size and performance

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Muros
  • Dash
  • Nerd
  • Manofoneway
  • mystico
  • Financeguy
  • Dreaglor
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.