VOTE Anthony Seibold Discussion

Should Seibold be sacked immediately?

• Total voters
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
until COVID, we were more profitable than we have ever been and we haven't won a title in a decade

That's not the point I'm making though. The Broncos still pay a dividend, and their product, their only one, is the football team. If it's not doing well, the business it not doing well.

It would be like Sony releasing TVs that don't turn on, and hoping the problem goes away with continuing that manufacturing process.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
until COVID, we were more profitable than we have ever been and we haven't won a title in a decade
So? I mean really your only criteria for good management is being in the black? Paying massive overs for a dud to destroy the brand, losing our marketability at a time of unprecedented pressure on the sport and more demand from other clubs for lucrative fta slots, none of that matters as long as the club is a buck over when White flops out the door? Fair dinkum. Those are some pretty low standards.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
So? I mean really your only criteria for good management is being in the black? Paying massive overs for a dud to destroy the brand, losing our marketability at a time of unprecedented pressure on the sport and more demand from other clubs for lucrative fta slots, none of that matters as long as the club is a buck over when White flops out the door? Fair dinkum. Those are some pretty low standards.

A calculator with no battery could make this club profitable.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I really don't know a great deal about Ikin's abilities from a business sense but I did gain the impression he's quite an intelligent person after speaking with him at length. We talked for about 20 mins in the qantas business lounge in Brisbane and I've talked with many bright people in my life and I was left with a good sense of his keen mind.

He's had totally relaxed access to one of the great coaches, you know the sort of chance to talk at length with someone when sitting around a country campfire, that sort of informality and familiarity. Priceless access and following on from that he's had acess and exposure to other luminaries of our game. I think he's probably built up a solid bank of information and others experience.

Like I said, no idea about his business skills but he might just be a good choice. I do find it hard to believe he'd give up his media career because surely he'd have to step down from 360 etc.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I do find it hard to believe he'd give up his media career because surely he'd have to step down from 360 etc.

Probably depends where his passions lie. He doesn't strike me as an out and out celebrity seeking individual and he does have a long history with the Broncos. His business acumen would be the sticky point, but as long as we had a serious businessman in a senior exec position / on the board to provide him that guidance, having a leader with a bit of passion for the game is a serious step in the right direction.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Probably depends where his passions lie. He doesn't strike me as an out and out celebrity seeking individual and he does have a long history with the Broncos. His business acumen would be the sticky point, but as long as we had a serious businessman in a senior exec position / on the board to provide him that guidance, having a leader with a bit of passion for the game is a serious step in the right direction.
I wondered if he'd studied business in past. He may have some qualifications already and possibly some personal business experience of which I'm not aware. Anyway, I'm sure we only have a fraction of the pertinent information to judge his suitability.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
There are a few club leaders with regular media work in the AFL - McGuire, Brayshaw, Kennett, Koch.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
There are a few club leaders with regular media work in the AFL - McGuire, Brayshaw, Kennett, Koch.
Yeah, that's true. Still, I think he'd have to be severely limited by heavy involvement on 360 etc. Perhaps there's going to be two high profile retirement announcements over the next few months, maybe three with Fat Tony🙏

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Those guys are/were all club presidents, so more akin to Karl Morris. CEO is a full time role that would likely require he step down from his media commitments.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
you can't have both if you decide to appoint an ex footy player / media identity to the role of CEO. all that will do is MAYBE improve the footy side of things (if you get the right ex footy player) ... but significantly devalue the business side until you end up on skid row, begging to be constantly bailed out by the NRL, like many NSW clubs (and the Titans).

Melbourne and the Roosters both have businessmen running their clubs. and it was only a few years ago where the Roosters were in a similar ladder position to us. (in 2016, they finished in 15th place, but stuck firm with their coach and are now back to back premiers)

IMO what you need is a split the difference. appoint a business orientated CEO, then revamp the football department and get a quality Football Manager or something along those lines. with responsibility over the roster, contracts etc

BTW, if people are keen on Ikin because they think he'll come in and immediately fire Seibold ... it won't happen. he won't have any more power to hire and fire the coach than White does. he'll still only get 1 vote on the board

What do you mean you can't have both. All you're proving here is that if you went into business, someone other than you needs to run the place.

Do you think the Gillette CEO is a shaver expert? You better believe his number 1 priority is that product, and he needs to make sure their shareholders make money.

You can have both. The other big clubs do.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What do you mean you can't have both. All you're proving here is that if you went into business, someone other than you needs to run the place.

Do you think the Gillette CEO is a shaver expert? You better believe his number 1 priority is that product, and he needs to make sure their shareholders make money.

100%.

Honestly it blows my mind with the state of the club currently that people still think the product doesn't matter, as long as we are making a profit.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That's not the point I'm making though. The Broncos still pay a dividend, and their product, their only one, is the football team. If it's not doing well, the business it not doing well.

It would be like Sony releasing TVs that don't turn on, and hoping the problem goes away with continuing that manufacturing process.

This is spot on.

As the SMH reported on July 5: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/15...-dramas-on-and-off-field-20200704-p558z3.html

"At the end of the day, the product the company sells is the football team. The company gets most of its revenue from membership, ticket sales and sponsorships, and those are inextricably tied to how the football team is going on the playing fields."

Seibold will be, and ought to be, the first target in the crosshairs of accountability

As for the business side of things, that's a different matter other than the immediate need to have fall guys to explain failure.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
what he's saying is that we don't need to worry about someone with business acumen ... because, you know, $50 million businesses run themselves

A $50M business (basically a small company) like the Broncos kinda can run itself if the results are strong on the field.

Almost $14M comes from the NRL which would be received even if a new born baby was in charge. $15M comes from Sponsorship which has been built on the back of previous years better results and are generally multi year committments. $16M comes from gate receipts which is down on previous years as a result of our decline on the field.

That's $45M of the $50M from 3 areas and 1 is guaranteed and 2 are going to be heavily pressured in future years if our on field performance continues to suffer.

White has overseen decent profit growth in 2019 due to 2018 being one of the worse performing years we have had since before 2015 as far as the P&L go.

I'm not sure why you seem to think White has done such a wonderful job? At most successful companies his results would be maybe 5 or 6 out of 10 performance.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

thanks for arguing my point for me.

the CEO of Gillette is a businessman ... just like our CEO should be a businessman.

doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't hire experts in their field to manage certain areas of their organisations (just like the Gillette CEO would)

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

the CEO of Gillette is a businessman ... just like our CEO should be a businessman.

doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't hire experts in their field to manage certain areas of their organisations (just like the Gillette CEO would)
Also, Gillett might not be the best example because their CEO started out as an entry level razor salesman for Gillett and never worked for any other company. His trajectory would closer resemble a guy like Ikan’s than an established CEO brought in to fill the top job.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

That's not your point, and if you were attempting to make that, you've done a poor job at it.

This companies main product is failing, and profit is tumbling. White needs to go.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Boss
  • Battler
  • Inknition
  • Organix
  • Santa
  • Spooky1013
  • Volvo Driver
  • Allo
  • Dexter
  • BroncoFan94
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • eazy-duzzit
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.