Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

Not sure if its been discussed anywhere but Newcastle knight's reportedly set to block Adam O'Brien's attempt to bring Seibold on board as assistant coach. Seibold and O'Brien had previously worked together however given the event's that have happened with Seibold over the past 12 months the board are not keen on bringing him into the club.
Yeah wow, that's a tad rough.

So long as I live I honestly will never be able to fathom how Cyril Connell, a man that the foundation and decades long Coach who most people credit with our early success actually credits with much of his success, so highly revered and regarded by the Broncos organisation that he was given a tribute jersey for the team to wear (no player or even Wayne Bennett has ever had this) was able to sadly pass away and then seemingly never have anybody step up and attempt to fill his shoes and carry on that legacy.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise these are perhaps the most tremendous set of shoes to fill in the history of the club and I can accept people not living up to it fully, but I'd have at least expected someone to give it a red hot go. That there wasn't one single person in the organisation who planted their flag and said they wanted to honour Cyril Connell and attempt to carry on the legacy that gave us so many of our best and brightest Broncos to me speaks volumes about why we are facing so much of the mess we are facing right now.
I wouldn't be against a statue of Connell somewhere outside of Suncorp stadium. He had more input into great memories at Lang park then John eales ever did in his 3 games there, fact. If not there then at the Broncos leagues club. I truly think losing him has as much to do with our premiership drought as anything else does...

Last edited:
You can't easily replicate a 40 year career teacher and then deputy director of education with contacts all through the state and that's before you add in a half that played for the Kangaroos and Queensland.

Most people still at the club worked with Cyril, he was pivotal in setting up all the systems that are place working with these guys and the EPDP.

Edwards does a great job.

Don't forget it was only 12 months ago you were all sure this was the best crop of Broncos youngsters ever.

Fifita was the most glaring example, but there's been an exodus of young talent at the club ever since Seibs took over. Sam Walker, Jake Simpkin, JJ Clarkson, Jack Martin etc. You can't keep all of them, but there's likely one player in that lot the Broncos should never have gotten rid of and in 5 years time all the fans who put their faith into the recruitment team are going to wonder what happened.

The production line is looking very skinny at the Broncos. There's a couple of players that could be something but after that it's looking scary.

Name them.
Brendan Piakura, Reece Walsh, Xavier Williamson.

There's a few other names like Cobbo, Packer and Va'a but I don't think they have as high a ceiling.

Here's all the Queensland U/18 reps the Broncos have just as a reference: Blake Cesari (Centre), Selwyn Cobbo (Centre), Ezra Mam (Five Eighth), Shaun Packer (Hooker), Brendan Piakura (Second Row), Damon Somerville (Second Row/Centre), Xavier Va'a (Prop), Reece Walsh (Fullback), Keanu Wright-Dunrobin (Five-Eighth/Fullback).

Last edited:
So long as I live I honestly will never be able to fathom how Cyril Connell, a man that the foundation and decades long Coach who most people credit with our early success actually credits with much of his success, so highly revered and regarded by the Broncos organisation that he was given a tribute jersey for the team to wear (no player or even Wayne Bennett has ever had this) was able to sadly pass away and then seemingly never have anybody step up and attempt to fill his shoes and carry on that legacy.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise these are perhaps the most tremendous set of shoes to fill in the history of the club and I can accept people not living up to it fully, but I'd have at least expected someone to give it a red hot go. That there wasn't one single person in the organisation who planted their flag and said they wanted to honour Cyril Connell and attempt to carry on the legacy that gave us so many of our best and brightest Broncos to me speaks volumes about why we are facing so much of the mess we are facing right now.
That said....it's still got me fucked why we never signed up Cam Smith. You just don't turn out to be the player of Smith's calibre overnight. Dunno how we never saw it.

That said....it's still got me fucked why we never signed up Cam Smith. You just don't turn out to be the player of Smith's calibre overnight. Dunno how we never saw it.

Just backed the wrong player(s) at the time, I guess.

To be honest, I don't think anyone could have predicted what a player he would become. Even though he played for QLD in 2003, I think he didn't really begin to show his real skillset until Matt Orford left Melbourne.

If we could Back To The Future it, we'd probably have at least 3 more premierships if he was a Bronco, which is a shame.

We had Cyril Connell.
A very underrated part of previous successes. Cyril had many contacts in QLD Education from his days working for the department. Cyril said it only took 2 minutes to see if a young fella could play or not. His modus operandi was to talk to teachers about how much effort & how much respect a young fella showed in the classroom. Not if he was top of the class or whatnot, only effort & respect. Those were the ones that he bought to the club. I'd hazard a guess that current scouts would never talk to a relevant teacher.

Plus be wasn’t the biggest, strongest or fastest kid on the field so he was overlooked.
That surely can't be the only criteria......

A talent scout should be able to identify talent....even before the player in question shows it. I thought that would be one of the skill sets a talent scout would need..... crystal ball perception.

That surely can't be the only criteria......

A talent scout should be able to identify talent....even before the player in question shows it. I thought that would be one of the skill sets a talent scout would need..... crystal ball perception.

Yeah sure...but it isn't happening.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • bazza
  • The Don
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • broncoscope
  • peter09
  • Allo
  • LittleDavey
  • Jazza
  • ezpz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Redux
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.