Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

This thread has gotten to deep for me.
All I know is our culture is shit at the moment.
Hopefully kevvie can turn it around.

I am just concerned that the Broncos Culture is really a kind of metaphor for Bennett's legacy, problematic and casting a shadow over this great club and one which makes any coach who follows on from the great man subject to enormous pressure to perform to standards which for mine are utterly unrealistic. That is why I suggested that one key issue for us is to manage our expectations which can be unrealistic given their reference point: the club's greatness, forged at a time years ago, and bearing little resemblance to the realities of NRL today.

This has been touched on here before, namely, the pressure on Walters to succeed which need to be tempered by what he has inherited, rather than having to live up to Bennett's Legacy. I just don't want Walters to be set up to fail, as was Seibold.

Broncos culture is winning and competing. It might be going into the sheds half time down by 10, and the opposition still feeling nervous. It's oppositions teams looking at fixtures and seeing 'Broncos' and saying 'damn'. It's opposition fans hating us because they are jealous.

Broncos culture isn't the shit we served up since Siebold took over. Pea hearted capitulations week in and week out.

I'd rather call it a winning culture, short, sweet and to the point.

It’s also about not embarrassing the club in the media every single week. It’s dealing with criticisms and making sure it doesn’t affect us on the field, because the NSW media will try anything to put us off our game. It’s rising to the occasion and prioritising the club over your own bullshit, like the pokies or partying. It’s embracing the fact we are the enemy, not embracing the enemy by signing them.

You can claim it’s metaphysical and forget to utilise full stops so your sentences seem long and intelligent but Broncos culture is a thing built from being hated in NSW and having the wind in our face from the get go.

I get all that, and I agree with all that, however, I don't see that it answers my question about what makes the "Broncos Culture" something special, unique, and different to the same winning parameters applied to other clubs, and equally, to bad coaches who cause the same chaos to them as Seibold did to us. Or even Henjak and Hook. Sure our culture is unique because we are Brisbane, but that is simply geography, and not a sufficient explanation for this metaphysical thing I see the Broncos Culture being, as used in the media, and so often, on here.

If we call it "our proud culture", or our club's culture", then that's fine, but a unique broncos Culture seems to be actually at the heart of a lot of our problems, like living up to unrealistic expectations as I flagged in my post above, and, which places any post-Bennett coach under a very difficult and dangerous microscope. Kevvie beware!
I'm not going to come in here and act like an expert on the culture of a club I don't follow, but the way I see it, when you grow up supporting a club, you're going to give absolutely everything whilst playing for them and that results in a lot of the qualities Sproj mentioned. I say this as that sort of passion isn't just in professional sport but at school level etc. as well. The fact that supporters are questioning the commitment of players during a game says to me that the current crop aren't displaying that passion for the jersey. I could be completely wrong but given a fair number of your players seem to be from NSW these days instead of what I remember as half the QLD line up (not a crack at your cap just how it used to be essentially), they probably haven't grown up idolising the club in the way that a lot of your past players probably did. I'd rather not question the players give 100% in games but the connection to the club does help people give a little extra. I've seen it many times.

If it stems from that, given how many quality players have publicly said how they grew up wanting to play for the broncos, I see recruiting players like them as a good place to start. I get that it is simple geography, but at the end of the day it should mean something not only on the field but in recruitment as well.

That is probably not the whole problem just what I'd assume is a contributing factor.

We need to be hitting every school from Logan to Rockhampton, giving out free gear and creating fans. The Broncos logo should be everywhere. $5 memberships handed out to kids in schools outside of Brisbane that gives them entry to any game throughout the year. We need to entice Queensland kids to support us and not the other clubs.

We need to be hitting every school from Logan to Rockhampton, giving out free gear and creating fans. The Broncos logo should be everywhere. $5 memberships handed out to kids in schools outside of Brisbane that gives them entry to any game throughout the year. We need to entice Queensland kids to support us and not the other clubs.
We should, I guess it's a hard ask for one club to be around every school in a half million square kilometer area but at the same time I've never seen any Broncos presence at the schools I attended or my son's primary school.

I am just concerned that the Broncos Culture is really a kind of metaphor for Bennett's legacy, problematic and casting a shadow over this great club and one which makes any coach who follows on from the great man subject to enormous pressure to perform to standards which for mine are utterly unrealistic. That is why I suggested that one key issue for us is to manage our expectations which can be unrealistic given their reference point: the club's greatness, forged at a time years ago, and bearing little resemblance to the realities of NRL today.

This has been touched on here before, namely, the pressure on Walters to succeed which need to be tempered by what he has inherited, rather than having to live up to Bennett's Legacy. I just don't want Walters to be set up to fail, as was Seibold.
Don't overthink the Bennett/Broncos culture, trying to work out where one ends and the other begins. It's natural there'd be a lot of overlap given he's our founding, longest-serving and only successful coach. Regarding standards, the things I was most disappointed in Seibold weren't the poor results but the way we achieved them. We were built on the back of giving your all for your teammates, your club and your city but the last two years have been playing as individuals. We used to be unified with everyone from the players to the admin all pulling in the one direction to achieve glory on the field.

It's something you might see reflected in his decision to have the old motto "be a Bronco" painted over with his personal mantra of "burn the boats", replacing one about team identity with something much more individually-focussed. It's a little thing, just one piece of many, but when viewed in light of all the other things he and our senior management brought about It's reasonably telling. Likewise you could see White and Morris trying to split the team to undermine Bennett, it smacks of wankers playing corporate games to get a slightly better bottom line instead of actually caring about the on field success.

I expect Kevvie to turn this around, at least within the playing group, sooner rather than later. He might have his work cut out for him trying to instill that culture in our back office but who knows, maybe they'll finally have learned something from our worst ever season.

It’s also about not embarrassing the club in the media every single week. It’s dealing with criticisms and making sure it doesn’t affect us on the field, because the NSW media will try anything to put us off our game. It’s rising to the occasion and prioritising the club over your own bullshit, like the pokies or partying. It’s embracing the fact we are the enemy, not embracing the enemy by signing them.

You can claim it’s metaphysical and forget to utilise full stops so your sentences seem long and intelligent but Broncos culture is a thing built from being hated in NSW and having the wind in our face from the get go.
Cult3, I personally think the Broncos culture was built on the early origin series where as you have rightly pointed out NSW hated us, Bennett came into the role of coach of the Broncos still surfing the wave of Queenslands early origin success. Origin was born out of the arrogance of NSW treating us like second rate citizens , I can remember as young bloke reading things about NSW not wanting to bother playing the interstate series because club football was way more important to them, people were not interested in turning up to the matches played in Sydney, so the arseholes scheduled the games to be played in places like Bathurst where small crowds turned up. When the games were played in Queensland even though we new we would get a flogging, people still turned up to support the Queensland side. When Barry Muir took over as coach, he instilled a lot of belief into the Queensland players and more respectable score lines followed. Barry Muir played for and also captained Queensland and Australia, he was a very skillful player and a referees nightmare.
Below is a bit of info pasted from Wikipedia about Barry Muir and helps a bit to understand why we hate NSW.

Legacy[edit]​

Muir was a long time outspoken critic of the system that allowed the best Queensland club players to move to the Sydney competition and then to represent New South Wales. This widely held sentiment eventually led to the birth of the Rugby League State of Origin concept.

Muir coached the Queensland side from 1974 to 1978 (two years prior to the adoption of Origin selection criteria) and during this time Muir coined the term "cockroaches", the derogatory descriptor of the New South Wales rugby league team still used by the Queenslanders.[3]

In February 2008, Muir was named in the list of Australia's 100 Greatest Players (1908–2007) which was commissioned by the NRL and ARL to celebrate the code's centenary year in Australia.[4][5]

I remember when I was at school in Brissy, Cyril Connell came one day and a parade was organised to welcome him and to sign on one of our classmates to a Broncos scholarship. That kid never made it but it was so exciting to have the Broncos at our school. It was a semi-regular occurrence while Cyril was alive but after he died, never saw anything from the Broncos at any school. Fast forward a few years and I did a teaching placement in Marsden High and it was all Melbourne Storm by that stage. I then went to other Logan schools for some Uni-related work a little later and across three years doing that kind of role, I did not see the Broncos once, the Storm on the other hand and even to a far lesser extent, Raiders of all teams, had a fairly strong presence.

So part of losing the Broncos culture is very much to do with the disconnect from the fans. They don't do much these days to engage fans sadly (from what I understand, I haven't been in Brisbane for a long time now but I do have friends in the area who tell me the Broncos are nowhere to be seen).

The Broncos have lost their identity and connection to the fans.

I remember when I was at school in Brissy, Cyril Connell came one day and a parade was organised to welcome him and to sign on one of our classmates to a Broncos scholarship. That kid never made it but it was so exciting to have the Broncos at our school. It was a semi-regular occurrence while Cyril was alive but after he died, never saw anything from the Broncos at any school. Fast forward a few years and I did a teaching placement in Marsden High and it was all Melbourne Storm by that stage. I then went to other Logan schools for some Uni-related work a little later and across three years doing that kind of role, I did not see the Broncos once, the Storm on the other hand and even to a far lesser extent, Raiders of all teams, had a fairly strong presence.

So part of losing the Broncos culture is very much to do with the disconnect from the fans. They don't do much these days to engage fans sadly (from what I understand, I haven't been in Brisbane for a long time now but I do have friends in the area who tell me the Broncos are nowhere to be seen).

Well said Sproj, and spot on

So again, what exactly is this Broncos Culture which separates it from others, makes it special, outstanding, unique?
Honestly it's become a myth.

We dominated the 90s, now we're just another club. Resting on your laurels from 20+ years ago is how you get into a mess like this.

Kevvie should have this on a megaphone during training:

Last edited:

When do you start as Brisbane's Bradley C. Stubbs, Sproj?

DONE DONE DONE

Thanks for that. I appreciate your thoughtful reply and for nailing a lot of what it means to be a Bronco, and what a bronco culture means, and where it came from. It is all about a special identity unique to us, perhaps driven a lot by being marginalised and treated with disdain by everything that is evil about NSW. We stand proud in the face of all that.

I started this honestly wanting to know what being a Bronco meant to us, and what a bronco culture stands for. I've learned something, and thanks to @abashii and @Sproj and everyone else who helped me understand - for your equally well thought out and informative replies. Grateful ☺️

My only concern is that perhaps we ought to be aware of expecting too much, for when you do, disappointment can be bitter as we discovered this year, but, with Kevvie on board ... onwards and upwards! Looking forward to the finals in '21.

Thanks for that. I appreciate your thoughtful reply and for nailing a lot of what it means to be a Bronco, and what a bronco culture means, and where it came from. It is all about a special identity unique to us, perhaps driven a lot by being marginalised and treated with disdain by everything that is evil about NSW. We stand proud in the face of all that.

I started this honestly wanting to know what being a Bronco meant to us, and what a bronco culture stands for. I've learned something, and thanks to @abashii and @Sproj and everyone else who helped me understand - for your equally well thought out and informative replies. Grateful ☺️

My only concern is that perhaps we ought to be aware of expecting too much, for when you do, disappointment can be bitter as we discovered this year, but, with Kevvie on board ... onwards and upwards! Looking forward to the finals in '21.
I can’t speak for anyone else but my expectations of the club have never been lower. Expecting too much is not an issue; in fact I expect so little from the club at this point that almost any improvement in performance or decision making will lead to me cheering the club on like watching a fat guy try really hard at a physical feat that any average person could easily accomplish.

So long as I live I honestly will never be able to fathom how Cyril Connell, a man that the foundation and decades long Coach who most people credit with our early success actually credits with much of his success, so highly revered and regarded by the Broncos organisation that he was given a tribute jersey for the team to wear (no player or even Wayne Bennett has ever had this) was able to sadly pass away and then seemingly never have anybody step up and attempt to fill his shoes and carry on that legacy.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise these are perhaps the most tremendous set of shoes to fill in the history of the club and I can accept people not living up to it fully, but I'd have at least expected someone to give it a red hot go. That there wasn't one single person in the organisation who planted their flag and said they wanted to honour Cyril Connell and attempt to carry on the legacy that gave us so many of our best and brightest Broncos to me speaks volumes about why we are facing so much of the mess we are facing right now.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for anyone else but my expectations of the club have never been lower. Expecting too much is not an issue; in fact I expect so little from the club at this point that almost any improvement in performance or decision making will lead to me cheering the club on like watching a fat guy try really hard at a physical feat that any average person could easily accomplish.
I think it just shows that hubris has been our own downfall. We are like any other club, we aren't special, we have no divine right to be constantly challenging and if we aren't consistently doing the little things right then we will fail (and we have) like any other club.

Not sure if its been discussed anywhere but Newcastle knight's reportedly set to block Adam O'Brien's attempt to bring Seibold on board as assistant coach. Seibold and O'Brien had previously worked together however given the event's that have happened with Seibold over the past 12 months the board are not keen on bringing him into the club.

Not sure if its been discussed anywhere but Newcastle knight's reportedly set to block Adam O'Brien's attempt to bring Seibold on board as assistant coach. Seibold and O'Brien had previously worked together however given the event's that have happened with Seibold over the past 12 months the board are not keen on bringing him into the club.

The knights board are a helluva lot smarter than ours.

Unread

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Dee
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.