Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

At least the guys in Oceans 11 pulled off the heist using their skill and experience to get it done. Seibold got 1.5 mill for being bad at his job.

Meme Reaction GIF

Seibold:

"At Souths the opportunity just came up overnight. We were doing a review meeting and I got a phone call from the general manager of football Shane Richardson. He said: look we’ve decided to part ways with Michael Maguire immediately if any media call it’s no comment, we’ll update you later on."

"And then the next day, Richo asked me to meet and he said, ‘Look we want to promote from within and we want to try and get some continuity going’. They’d obviously spoken to some people in the group and that’s how it happened. It was not something that I had thought about. It was really hard because I’ve known Madge since 1998 and I played with him at Canberra."

“I’ve seen rumours that I undermined him – it’s all bullshit, absolute fucking bullshit. Pardon my language, but it made it hard between me and Madge because that’s what people wanted to report because that’s a good story. The story came out after I left South Sydney so I understand there’s agendas at play. I rang Madge and Madge will tell you this, ‘I wanted to talk to you before I sign the contract’."

“I told Souths I wouldn’t sign until I spoke to Madge and said this is what’s happened and he said, ‘Mate, you’ve worked hard for an opportunity’. And you feel for him because he’s a good guy and a good coach.”

Richardson. last June:

“Michael and Anthony didn’t part very well Maguire blamed Seibold (for his demise as Souths head coach) and felt he was stabbed in the back to get his job. There is a bit of animosity between the two of them … and that’s where it all came from. I think Madge had it in his head that Seibs knifed him but no matter what I said, it made no difference. It wasn’t true that Seibold backstabbed Madge. I spoke to Seibs about the job two days after we let Madge go. That’s the truth.”

"I hadn’t spoken to them at all. I knew they were interested but I had no contract offer or nothing. I started to get interest when they started talking the length of the contract because it wasn’t just about me, it was about the kids, looking after my parents, it was a bigger thing.”

McHunt

Last edited:
“I still love Souths,” he said.

“I hope they have a good season, I love the boys that I coached that are still there.

“They were fantastic to coach, I didn’t want to leave then. The Broncos showed a lot of interest in me and regardless of what was said I hadn’t signed anything.

“I hadn’t spoke to them at all. I knew they were interested but I had no contract offer or nothing. I started to get interest when they started talking the length of the contract because it wasn’t just about me, it was about the kids, looking after my parents, it was a bigger thing.

“They offered me a six-year deal with the sixth year in my favour. Souths offered me a three-year deal. Now, I didn’t want to go.

“The hardest conversation I’ve had in my life was calling (Rabbitohs owner) Russell (Crowe) when he was in New York and saying I had to go. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to set up my family.”

These quotes are pretty telling.

yea this stinks of just seibs knowing bennett is gone after this year and wants to get back on the good books again.

Lol what a dickhead.
“In regards to what’s been said about my coaching style... I think I’m an easy one to have a go at because I am educated and being an academic and being a lecturer at university and so on.”

When you're too smart to succeed

Last edited:
Why are we giving this guy any of our time? He destroyed our club and is constantly playing the victim card, I can't stand it. He is getting paid more than people get in their whole working lives to NOT do the job he was hired to do AND did absolutely abysmally.

Why are we giving this guy any of our time? He destroyed our club and is constantly playing the victim card, I can't stand it. He is getting paid more than people get in their whole working lives to NOT do the job he was hired to do AND did absolutely abysmally.
Come on now.. while there's no question the club is in a far worse position now than when Seibold arrived, the bloke was headhunted by the Broncos and handed a six year contract by the Broncos.
There's no doubt he did the best job he could while he was here. His methods and approach didn't work at the Broncos but I'm pretty certain that wasn't entirely his fault.
IMO some of the higher-ups at the club have just as much if not more to answer for regarding the demise of the Broncos than Anthony Seibold.

This quote particularly interests me:

“I start to write notes at different times, what could I have done better or differently? What could people around me have done to support me? If I’m in that environment again, you know you’ve got to have the right people around you, the right people in your playing group who you can trust.”

A lot of us here speculated last year that certain players were white-anting him, this is the first public admission from him. I can’t imagine there would be a prize for guessing who he is referring to.

Hopefully at least a couple of them are gone now, otherwise no matter how nice Walters is, if the results don’t come, he could very well be facing the same outcome.

Come on now.. while there's no question the club is in a far worse position now than when Seibold arrived, the bloke was headhunted by the Broncos and handed a six year contract by the Broncos.
There's no doubt he did the best job he could while he was here. His methods and approach didn't work at the Broncos but I'm pretty certain that wasn't entirely his fault.
IMO some of the higher-ups at the club have just as much if not more to answer for regarding the demise of the Broncos than Anthony Seibold.

Oh without the doubt, the entire Broncos board should have been kicked out of the office after signing Seibold but come on, that idiot came in thinking he was the chosen one and actively set about destroying the culture of the Broncos and got exactly what he sowed.

He may well have tried his best but his best wasn't even close to enough and then he has the hide to blame everyone else for his failings.

For such a self admitted smart and educated man, he says some really stupid shit.

Like every single press conference, every single interview, every single puff piece and every single being sacked conference he has ever done?

This quote particularly interests me:

“I start to write notes at different times, what could I have done better or differently? What could people around me have done to support me? If I’m in that environment again, you know you’ve got to have the right people around you, the right people in your playing group who you can trust.”

A lot of us here speculated last year that certain players were white-anting him, this is the first public admission from him. I can’t imagine there would be a prize for guessing who he is referring to.

Hopefully at least a couple of them are gone now, otherwise no matter how nice Walters is, if the results don’t come, he could very well be facing the same outcome.
Who are we guessing white-anted him?
Glenn for sure.
Boyd maybe.
Milford maybe, but that would require him to care about his job at all.

Who are you guesses, I'm curious.

I'm just as inclined to think he was just a shit coach and no one maybe other than Croft and Carrigan got along with him and I guess Kennar, Kennedy, and all his other shit recruits.

Last edited:
Who are we guessing white-anted him?
Glenn for sure.
Boyd maybe.
Milford maybe, but that would require him to care about his job at all.

Who are you guesses, I'm curious.

I'm just as inclined to think he was just a shit coach and no one maybe other than Croft and Carrigan got along with him and I guess Kennar, Kennedy, and all his other shit recruits.
In line with forum rules, not spreading rumours, but my guess would be:

Boyd, Bird, Glenn, Ofahenguae, Milford and maybe Oates (but the big fella would probably mess that up to).

Last edited:
Probably all of the players he said he wanted to release before even showing up for a single training session, as well as all of the players who were friends with those players and respected them.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Painin the Haas
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • IceWorks
  • Ozired
  • mitch222
  • Lurker
  • Big Del
  • ozzball
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.