Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

The plan I think was always Ash Taylor to play alongside Milford. When that didn't happen, there wasn't really anything out there who would have realistically made us any better. I guess Pearce would have been an option, but Wayne rightly imo chose not to bring that cockwomble to the club.

I think we probably could have got someone good and experienced, with the right amount of money and persuasion, contracts being what they are now. But Wayne decided he could make Milf/Kodi work and was probably annoyed everyone was saying it wouldn't.

In retrospect, I'd absolutely take Pearce for two years and see if the Wayne effect could sort him out. He would have been perfect for Milf...on the field.

As much as it seems to be sacrilege to say around these parts, I'm able to seperate Siebold the person from the Siebold that was our coach. If anyone bothers to watch some of these videos and is able to put it aside, he's not a bad footy analyst.

The issue is analysis and coaching are so far different from one another, and don't always compute - like his stint with us and methods used.
There's so much that goes into coaching that being able to read,identify and develop team structures isn't anywhere near enough.

In saying that, the whole segment whilst insightful just feels like it's trying to explain footy to casual fans, instead of digging deeper - the co-host seemingly plays dumb which just insults the viewer. Don't have Siebold up there explaining two man in defenders to someone pretending to be unaware, we aren't in a classroom.

I think we probably could have got someone good and experienced, with the right amount of money and persuasion, contracts being what they are now. But Wayne decided he could make Milf/Kodi work and was probably annoyed everyone was saying it wouldn't.

In retrospect, I'd absolutely take Pearce for two years and see if the Wayne effect could sort him out. He would have been perfect for Milf...on the field.
Apart from Pearce I really can't think of anyone else at 7 that was around when Bennett was coach after we failed to get Ash. Agree about Pearce the player, Pearce the person I don't think would have been worth it.

Apart from Pearce I really can't think of anyone else at 7 that was around when Bennett was coach after we failed to get Ash. Agree about Pearce the player, Pearce the person I don't think would have been worth it.
Didn’t Wayne push hard for Cody Walker but it fell through? Or am I confusing the time line.

The plan I think was always Ash Taylor to play alongside Milford. When that didn't happen, there wasn't really anything out there who would have realistically made us any better. I guess Pearce would have been an option, but Wayne rightly imo chose not to bring that cockwomble to the club.
I actually thought Bennett had the right idea pursuing players like Dargan and O'Sullivan. Quality prospects that could be relied on as alternatives if Nikorima didn't continue to improve. Then in the long term you still had Paix, T. Boyd, Dearden and Walker coming through.

2017 was over before it even began - if they had a chance of competing for a premiership it was over when Hunt pledged his future to the Dragons. They needed to be 100% committed to him and continue to develop combinations around him, instead that went right out the window.

They suffered a dip in 2018, but some of the prospects were beginning to put their hand up which suggested the future looked bright, it would just need some careful management.

Instead Seibs happened and we saw how that worked out.

I actually thought Bennett had the right idea pursuing players like Dargan and O'Sullivan. Quality prospects that could be relied on as alternatives if Nikorima didn't continue to improve. Then in the long term you still had Paix, T. Boyd, Dearden and Walker coming through.

2017 was over before it even began - if they had a chance of competing for a premiership it was over when Hunt pledged his future to the Dragons. They needed to be 100% committed to him and continue to develop combinations around him, instead that went right out the window.

They suffered a dip in 2018, but some of the prospects were beginning to put their hand up which suggested the future looked bright, it would just need some careful management.

Instead Seibs happened and we saw how that worked out.
Do you have any predictions for Kev’s tenure ?

Do you have any predictions for Kev’s tenure ?

GentleVariableApe-max-1mb.gif

He did, just can't remember when
2016, Bennett wasn't confident he could keep both Milford/Hunt so he was looking at other options.

In the end, the Broncos ended up signing Marshall.

I can't remember if it was 17 or 18 but they also signed Demetriou's favourite and one of the best prospects in the ISC Nona. He's one of those players where I look at some of the players who have been given opportunities and scratch my head at how he never put himself in that position.

I blame the haircut.

Last edited:
2016, Bennett wasn't confident he could keep both Milford/Hunt so he was looking at other options.

In the end, the Broncos ended up signing Marshall.

I can't remember if it was 17 or 18 but they also signed Demetriou's favourite and one of the best prospects in the ISC Nona. He's one of those players where I look at some of the players who have been given opportunities and scratch my head at how he never put himself in that position.

I blame the haircut.
Nona was a bit like Luke Capewell for me. Very good at his best in ISC but never managed to make it in the NRL.

Nona was a bit like Luke Capewell for me. Very good at his best in ISC but never managed to make it in the NRL.
You do have to wonder how much is in it one way or the other though. Jamal Fogarty has just gone from Queensland Cup wilderness to the Gold Coast Titans club Captain in a little over 9 months. Cody Walker hadn't cracked the NRL at 25 and by 30 he'd played State of Origin.

Sometimes you really do have to ask how much of it is pure ability and determination vs how much of it is just landing in the right place at the right time for some of these guys.

Seriously though while I expect a lot of bumps on the road, the Broncos will turn a corner under Kev and his reign will be looked back on positively.
I sort of see it the same way. I get the feeling we may not win a Premiership under Walters or have him around for all that long, but I do think what he''ll do here will be a big part of us winning our next one either way. I think he'll also certainly leave the club in far better shape than he got it, which is something that no Broncos Coach besides Wayne Bennett in his first stint could without question say.

Last edited:
You do have to wonder how much is in it one way or the other though. Jamal Fogarty has just gone from Queensland Cup wilderness to the Gold Coast Titans club Captain in a little over 9 months. Cody Walker hadn't cracked the NRL at 25 and by 30 he'd played State of Origin.

Sometimes you really do have to ask how much of it is pure ability and determination vs how much of it is just landing in the right place at the right time for some of these guys.

I'm hoping Kevvie is hanging out behind some toilets during this ISC comp and if he sees someone who could fill one of the many holes in the first grade team, has the guts to take a punt.

Walker definitely had a chunk of wrong place wrong time in his early career. He was signed to the Storm and carving up in cup but unable to displace their halves (Cronk and Widdop iirc), then in the final year of his Storm contract he signed for Souths just before Hampton got dropped, so even though there was a spot for him they wouldn't play him in the top squad. Could be a bit off as I'm writing from memory but the basics should be correct.

Seibold has taken over the in-depth analysis on nrl.com

Has he taken over from Matt Elliott? Goodness, what a downgrade!

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.