Anthony Seibold is no longer our coach

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
See my post above. Your post is so wildly inaccurate it makes it even harder for me to take you seriously.
Let me get this straight. Wildly inaccurate. DB has his best season in years. Wildly inaccurate? Huh?
Glenn tried his best. Wildly inaccurate? Given the captaincy BY SEIBOLD!!! Huh? Oates tried hard but injured Wildly inaccurate? Huh?

WTF? Are you smoking crack?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Where it all fell away to shit was White, Lockyer and Co completely screwing the pooch on securing Bellamy, then seemingly out of ego or God know's what, still expecting to shove Wayne out the door anyway. The man could quite likely have accepted being moved on for the best Coach in the game, but to insist he had to go so he could be replaced by Seibold, or even Walters for that matter, well that's another prospect entirely and Wayne was absolutely right to take that personally and as an insult to him.
To me where it all fell away was when they doubled down and made everyone aware that Bennett was moving on.

Even after that decision was made Bennett was amicable about moving on, agreed that Bellamy was the best option and offered to help out with the transition.

What does the board do with those options... let's go ahead and do a hit job on him.

I was and still am firmly in the boat that Bennett had to go, but how they moved Bennett on was completely and utterly inept.

Even though I wasnt in the Bennett boat at the end of his tenure I can still see that what he achieved at the club meant he had earned the respect of basically everyone associated with the club... they should've worked with Bennett on the PR process associated with him seeing out his 2 years. Instead they covered the bridge with gasoline before burning it to the ground.

The leaks that Seibold was their man months earlier meant the whole interview process was a sham... and they decided to drag someone who is highly respected in the Broncos into the sham just to put even more people offside.

The board have absolutely no idea what they're doing and need to go.

When was Karl Morris appointed?? Feb 2018

What's happened to the Broncos under his watch 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
We have seen two sides to Seibs in his short tenure and both at the opposite ends of the spectrum. On his appointment, he was brash, cocky, arrogant and super confident of creating a dynasty out of the mess Bennett had supposedly created.

Fast forward to today, a broken man who is beaten down and totally defeated by the past 18 months due to poor on field results , relentless media scrutiny, fan disharmony and horrific online claims pertaining to his private life. His future is clouded knowing that he is leaving this club in a deplorable state.

I said from the start that he has "mighty big kahunas" taking on a job of this sort. A glamour club whose fans expect premiership contention on a yearly basis. If it fucked up, it would cost him his career. Clearly, he was in way over his head from day one.

I hope he can dig himself out of this as I also hope the Broncos can dig themselves out of the massive crater he has left behind. A truly awful coach but a human being just the same and I hope he can secure future employment in the sport at a later date.
Good post and quite correctly you don't blame the players. It's my experience that no coach who has been overthrown in a player revolt has ever gone on to succeed. If it happens it's usually the fault of the coach AND not of the 30 odd players. It's like saying 'the whole army is out of step except Patty'. No, not Carrigan (for the stupid).

It's much more likely it's a coach failing than that 30 guys, or even 15 of them get it wrong. This failure is Seibolds. I'm confident I could have done a better job. Blame for failure would have been placed fairly, a chance to improve would have been given, accurate description of the nature of the failure provided, the joy inherent in sport would have been given due importance and my failings would have been accepted, publicly dealt with and worked on. I'd have a pretty simple structure in place for it is not a complex game.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Let the clean out begin. Top to bottom, left to right. This club has devolved into an abject disaster and not even a shadow of its glory days. Signing a rookie coach to a 5 year deal was mindbogglingly stupid, And as soon as the board realized the shitshow they had invited into the football department for such a long period and for such big money, they began interfering to protect their own asses, most notably in team selections (Boyd and Milford) and even failed at that. Everyone from the fans to the media are now calling for their heads as well and rightly so.

I honestly don't blame the young guys at all for feeling so ostracized when clearly washed up, overpaid and indifferent spuds like Boyd can survive getting the axe for the entire year while delivering such shit performances, yet Croft is cut loose and thrown in the dumpster without a second thought because he isn't a "big name". Then you have players like Joe O who is clearly massively overpaid as well getting in trouble off field then getting nowhere near close enough to making up for it on field being repeatedly selected as well. No brains and no balls anywhere to be found in the footy department, and that is all on the higher office for 1. making all the wrong decisions in the first place and 2. only interfering when it suits them and not even doing that right.

Paul White is already fucking off and thank god for that. This is a football club, not just another business obsessed with PR which is what it has become under his tenure. Karl Morris will probably dodge much scrutiny sadly thanks to his connections to Newscorp (another cancer that needs to be uprooted. Ugh) and as for Lockyer well, he has the protection of the fans love and respect for his playing career to fall back on, but he clearly isn't a competent board members asshole.

Sadly for us, I think 90% of what we think should happen probably won't. Half the board will stay on, they will end up signing Green over Walters because "PrEmIerShIP COaCh", the playing group will continue to hemorrhage the best talent because even a footballer with an I.Q of 15 can see the direction this club is heading, and the Broncos will invite Brisbane 2 into their backyard without so much as a whimper. The NRL LOVE the timing of this fall from grace, and if I were the conspiratorial type, I would think the timing was way too convenient to be coincidental.

As for Seibold, well I certainly don't wish him any ill will. He clearly has been belted around the ears during the past 2 years and the pressure has tragically had a big effect on his family, but the man cannot coach first grade footy, at least not in his current format. Football players aren't impressed by cereal box Harvard accreditation or obsessions with statistics and numbers. They care about defence, set plays and trusting the bloke either side of them to do their job.

This is the stuff they grew up learning about Rugby League from the time they were barely out of nappies, and to have all of that thrown out the window for abstract, unproven theories and experiments was always going to end in disunity. I mean fair dinkem, the "micro huddle" thing they had going on in the sheds, **** me. It's any wonder there is a divide in the group with that sort of mindless, confusing shit happening. Players have only ever known one method that works, and that is getting into a horseshoe in front of the coach and copping a spray as a unit if they aren't putting in.

The club as a whole just needs to just adopt the cliche and go back to basics. Whether it be Gentle or somebody else, for the rest of the year there needs to be ONE focus at training, Defence. If they run out this weekend and we see the same old shit, no linespeed, wingers coming up and in off their man and no communication or organization, then you know absolutely nothing will change. Get the players together, make it clear to them that the Seibold bible is out the window with the loud music and all that other puerile shit, and if they don't want to buy in to the tried and true of classic, fast Rugby League then the door is over there and don't let it hit them on the ass on the way out.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Or have made a very smart decision. You cannot possibly know how it will turn out. How can you make such a silly statement? The only sensible observation is ' I don't know how it will turn out but my gut instinct tells me it will end in failure.
On principal I think 5 year agreements are a very bad idea unless you're offering it to Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson, or perhaps Ricky Stuart.

It's dumb because the percentage of instances where a Coach lasts longer than 5 years is very low indeed and whilst I'm not knocking Holbrook personally, I don't think other than the three guys mentioned that it makes good business sense to offer long term agreements to anyone else.

For the Titans, who have especially short tenure for almost all of their Coaches and were only recently relying on the NRL to keep them afloat, to be so financially reckless is bordering on outright negligence.

Last edited:
broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Easy, send this:

LastingAccomplishedBaiji-size_restricted.gif
My old mans mate had a quote done to re-spray his driveway by Todd Carney yesterday. Not sure why this made me think of that.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
On principal I think 5 year agreements are a very bad idea unless you're offering it to Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson, or perhaps Ricky Stuart.

It's dumb because the percentage of instances where a Coach lasts longer than 5 years is very low indeed and whilst I'm not knocking Holbrook personally, I don't think other than the three guys mentioned that it makes good business sense to offer long term agreements to anyone else.
Totally reasonable. I offered no opinion on the matter so no need to convince me. Here's my opinion though. On the face of it, doesn't seem the right move. However, do I know what's in the contract? No I do not so that completely freezes me out of the discussion about the suitability of the contract.

It also makes all uninformed opinions useless. In my opinion the contract MAY include the final two years in the clubs favour, it may include strict performance criteria, it may include strict behavioural guidelines. Hell, there's so much we don't know. It might be a fabulous contract that gives the Titans many safe exit points from the start.

Surely you all can understand that?

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Or have made a very smart decision. You cannot possibly know how it will turn out. How can you make such a silly statement? The only sensible observation is ' I don't know how it will turn out but my gut instinct tells me it will end in failure.

Oh Huge, never change...............................you are hilarious!

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
For all of his failings over his trainwreck of a tenure with us, I thought Seibs did handle himself really well in that press conference. Hell it can't have been easy being in the spotlight like that whilst trying to remain calm and dignified. Paul White on the other hand, he was quite literally squirming in his seat, particularly when the question was asked by Dobbo about what accountability means. He just answered with jibberish.
I actually have to give Dobbo some credit, they were appropriate and well thought out questions, I thought he did well (much better than Hooper).

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
No. Prove it. DB had his best year in a long time. Alex Glenn gave his best. Total bullshit excuse. It wasn't the players. The coach fucked it. Plain and simple. 100% on him.

Rubbish. What senior players? Boyd? Best season in years. Glenn, tried his best. Oates, tried hard and injured. So, who are you blaming?

Well firstly, I'm not trying to downplay Seibold's role in our demise. I am simply pointing out the players are also responsible for where we are at currently. They should not be free of blame for some of their poor performances. You can't honestly tell me that a player forgets how to play football because of poor coaching.

Secondly, Glenn has mostly been injured. He has always been a good club man who gives his all. He is not one of the senior players I was referring to. I am looking at Boyd, Milford, Oates and Ofahengaue. These are the guys that should be stepping up more than they have been. Instead, they have mostly been outplayed by less experienced members of the team. They have shown very little in terms of leadership. They should be the ones driving the standards. It's embarrassing when the team turns to a rookie like Carrigan for leadership, when we have blokes with way more experience just idly standing by.

Boyd was invisible in almost every single game this year until he went back to fullback. Let's not forget why he was moved from fullback in the first place. He has been better than last year, but to say he has been good is laughable. He has shown very little leadership on the field. There have been countless games where the team is huddled behind the goalpost after conceding a try where he, among some of the other senior players I have mentioned, just stand there without saying a single word.

It is interesting though that Boyd has started finding a voice again once Gentle took over.

Last edited:
lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
No. Prove it. DB had his best year in a long time. Alex Glenn gave his best. Total bullshit excuse. It wasn't the players. The coach fucked it. Plain and simple. 100% on him.
I find that a surprising conclusion coming from you. It w ould be highly unusual to be 100% on a single cause and in my firm belief that is not the case here. Seibold is not without blame and significant blame, but it is not all on him.

TheGreatCornholio7

TheGreatCornholio7

QCup Player
Jun 11, 2020
So what? It matters to me because it irks me to see certain members, including some on the staff, decide that they are the sole arbiters of who can be a Broncos fan. That type of you're not a real fan if you don't believe what I believe/act how I act performative bullshit makes every thread it occurs in a harder read and the site overall a less pleasant place to be.

It's worse when a particular poster is singled out for personal abuse in plenty of threads by the same crew over and over, some of whom don't mind throwing abuse at the players they dislike while getting terribly upset if someone mentions Seibold's weight, or bitching about the players and/or former coaches they hate while saying that people who talk about Pies the same way aren't even Broncos fans. Hell, if you're going to play Judge Judy and executioner with regards to anyone suspected of being a double-plus unfan, why not start with the crackpots spreading deep state style conspiracy theories about players deliberately not performing? After all, if you can't support the players then maybe you're just not a Real Fan and should go find some other club to support.
I don't know if the players made a conscious decision not to perform because they were so butt hurt old Bennett was shown the door but it was pretty obvious they have not been trying this year, that or they are just gutless wonders.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
So what? It matters to me because it irks me to see certain members, including some on the staff, decide that they are the sole arbiters of who can be a Broncos fan. That type of you're not a real fan if you don't believe what I believe/act how I act performative bullshit makes every thread it occurs in a harder read and the site overall a less pleasant place to be.

It's worse when a particular poster is singled out for personal abuse in plenty of threads by the same crew over and over, some of whom don't mind throwing abuse at the players they dislike while getting terribly upset if someone mentions Seibold's weight, or bitching about the players and/or former coaches they hate while saying that people who talk about Pies the same way aren't even Broncos fans. Hell, if you're going to play Judge Judy and executioner with regards to anyone suspected of being a double-plus unfan, why not start with the crackpots spreading deep state style conspiracy theories about players deliberately not performing? After all, if you can't support the players then maybe you're just not a Real Fan and should go find some other club to support.
Can you assist me in directing my attention to a post where I have suggested that the players are deliberately not performing?

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.