Anthony Seibold wipes Wayne Bennett’s legacy from Red Hill

Yada yada yada, blah blah blah. More fawning drivel. Come the end of September we will know if they should have kept the boats! Results THEN fawning adulation and sycophantic praise from the lickspittles.
He deserves at least a year of slack. If we don't make the top 8, he should be immediately sacked but top 4 but short of the premiership should be considered a victory for him (Seibold) IMO.

Next year we should definitely go very close and if we don't have a premiership within the next 3, he should be sacked.

He deserves at least a year of slack. If we don't make the top 8, he should be immediately sacked but top 4 but short of the premiership should be considered a victory for him (Seibold) IMO.

Next year we should definitely go very close and if we don't have a premiership within the next 3, he should be sacked.

He doesnt deserve a year of slack at all. Do you think a head coach at similar kinds of clubs in other sports ( Man United or Real Madrid for example ) get a year of slack? No way do they. When you are at the biggest club in the competition, there is pressure and success is expected. Bennett finished 6th in 2018, 2 points off the team that won the minor premiership, and still got pushed out the door.

The only possible way i could ever see us giving a head coach any slack is if we came out and said we were going to focus purely on developing our young players over some of our more experienced guys in the next couple of years looking towards the future.

He doesnt deserve a year of slack at all. Do you think a head coach at similar kinds of clubs in other sports ( Man United or Real Madrid for example ) get a year of slack? No way do they. When you are at the biggest club in the competition, there is pressure and success is expected. Bennett finished 6th in 2018, 2 points off the team that won the minor premiership, and still got pushed out the door.

The only possible way i could ever see us giving a head coach any slack is if we came out and said we were going to focus purely on developing our young players over some of our more experienced guys in the next couple of years looking towards the future.
So your basic position is that Seibold has to win a premiership or face the sack this year? I don't know so well but I doubt Man United or Real Madrid are expected to win every year. A new coach coming in after a mediocre year and perhaps 1 or 2 players on big money who shouldn't be (Bird, maybe Boyd though he has really been talking talk). Top 4 would be a good result. Top 8 required. Less than top 8, maybe management have to admit they screwed up badly (and I will personally admit I was wrong for your benefit). More than that, management have the right to consider themselves RL geniuses.

So your basic position is that Seibold has to win a premiership or face the sack this year? I don't know so well but I doubt Man United or Real Madrid are expected to win every year. A new coach coming in after a mediocre year and perhaps 1 or 2 players on big money who shouldn't be (Bird, maybe Boyd though he has really been talking talk). Top 4 would be a good result. Top 8 required. Less than top 8, maybe management have to admit they screwed up badly (and I will personally admit I was wrong for your benefit). More than that, management have the right to consider themselves RL geniuses.
Really? He used the required words to adequately describe his position. Why did you find it neccessary to reword it to falsely represent his position? I know why, it was so you could attack that which was not written. It's called a strawman, something to knock down. He never said a premiership was neccessary nor did he even go close to saying that.

Really? He used the required words to adequately describe his position. Why did you find it neccessary to reword it to falsely represent his position? I know why, it was so you could attack that which was not written. It's called a strawman, something to knock down. He never said a premiership was neccessary nor did he even go close to saying that.

But, he did not call him Fido or Doggie etc, so it was a step in the right direction, Eta at least debated the issue and played the ball.

Well I clearly stated top 4 but no premiership would be a good year and he clearly suggested that wouldn't be good enough so you tell me......

you want to make a bet ...

Man U sacked a coach before the end of their FIRST season
So it was for something else or for being out of premiership contention early. I don't follow it at all but makes sense.

Actually, clubs like Real Madrid and Man United are supposed to win their championship every year. And European Trophies and domestic Cup competitions on top of that.

I don't think Seibold has to necessarily has to win a premiership but he certainly has to challenge. Our Mediocre 2018 still had us a mere 2 points behind the team that won the minor premiership and the Grand final. If Seibold can improve on that, and I think the expectation from him should be to improve on that, I see no reason we can't go close if he is the coach many of us think he is. I think it's more than fair to expect us to challenge strongly.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with a premiership. He must improve us. If he can improve the things we struggled with last year a premiership will come. If we go backwards he has failed. Bennett was about to go into the elusive premiership window with the team he put together, so if we aren't competing then he has failed. If we finish below the Rabbits, he has failed. If his techniques don't help then he has failed.

I don't think it has anything to do with a premiership. He must improve us. If he can improve the things we struggled with last year a premiership will come. If we go backwards he has failed. Bennett was about to go into the elusive premiership window with the team he put together, so if we aren't competing then he has failed. If we finish below the Rabbits, he has failed. If his techniques don't help then he has failed.

Really??? If they finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, he has failed??

Let's flip that around. If we use last year as the criterion by which we measure by:

If he gets us playing more consistent football closer to our better levels, he has succeeded.

If we make Top 4 he has succeeded.

If we play more than one final, he has succeeded.

If we don't get beaten by 30 points in a final he has succeeded.

If he improves our defence, he has succeeded.

I think there are some fairly optimistic (if not unrealistic) expectations flowing around this place about what might happen this year.

But, he did not call him Fido or Doggie etc, so it was a step in the right direction, Eta at least debated the issue and played the ball.
Not sure what your meaning is here with the fido, doggie references are but I get the second part. I'm just doing my bit to keep us separated from becoming a yank hillbilly clone and closer to the abilities of a middle class pom. Unlike the yanks they achieve a decent standard as they have schools that teach English. I'm just old and like the English language .

Really??? If they finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, he has failed??

Let's flip that around. If we use last year as the criterion by which we measure by:

If he gets us playing more consistent football closer to our better levels, he has succeeded.

If we make Top 4 he has succeeded.

If we play more than one final, he has succeeded.

If we don't get beaten by 30 points in a final he has succeeded.

If he improves our defence, he has succeeded.
You do realize you're agreeing with me right? All of those things you listed are improvements which was basically my single criteria for a pass mark. Try reading before blowing up mate

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Jedhead
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.