Anti-Storm thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DDD, Oxy. This is developing into a personal fued. This is your informal warning - enough or formal warnings will follow.

Flutterby said:
So when you say you don't like any of their players - what do you do when Smith, Inglis, Slater are playing in Maroon? Do you hate them then?

Trust me I'm not a huge Storm fan (though I can appreciate a lot of their skills), but it really irks me when people say "I hate so and so...", except when they play for another team they support they love them. It's what I used to hate most about Vautin back in the 90s. He couldn't stand the Broncos and would bag them week to week - except during Origin when those same players were his absolute faves.

I disagree there - what if you just hate the team?

For e.g I definitely love Inglis when he plays for QLD but I hate the Storm I wouldn't cheer them (or him) on - and be more than happy to see them get hammered when playing for the Storm.

For the record I'll admit their success does have something to do with it but certainly not the be all and end all. As ddd mentioned very well - there ARE definite characteristics about them that are very, very 'hate-able'.

Furthermore, there are similarities to when everyone hated the Broncs (and that was really for their success, the fact they had a whole city of talent to pool from etc) - but I'm telling you now people hate the Storm very differently... as clearly shown by the responses in this forum.

ddd said:
OXY-351 said:
Did I hit a nerve with you though? Did you realise you really have no basis for the current argument, cause you don't seem to be contributing much other than telling people to piss off.

Oh, I though mentioning a recent grand final win would be pertinent in a discussion about the success of the Broncos, but please tell how it isn't because you are such a good arguer.

It does, but my argument was that the Broncos are not the team they once were, and that over the past 5 years the Strom have been far superior than the Broncos. That's what you made the comment in response to. In the 90s, the Broncos won 5 gf's. One gf win in the last 5 years hardly comes close to 5 in 10 years. The Storm have made the past 4 gf's in the past 5 years, knocking the broncos out of the finals for a couple of those years, and winning 2 gf's. Sure the Broncos beat the Storm in one of those gf's, but as I said, one win hardly makes them more superior. I doubt anyone could argue the Broncos have been more successful than the Storm over the past 5 years.

So you statement of "Oh, so we didn't win the GF in 2006, why was Hoffman crying then? Is he just a bitch?" hardly refutes my argument. If anything it supports it if that's the best you can come up with to argue how the Broncos have been superior recently. But when questioned, you make out like that's not what you were trying to do. Seems like you're trying to carefully word your statements so you can retract the meaning of them when questioned.

I'm not arguing the Broncos have been a more successful club than the Storm, and I said that in responce to The Rock, but no one also seemed to be bagging the Storm in the times when they weren't as successful as the Broncos. It just seems like envy/jelousy/tall poppy syndrome to me, but people hide this behind other reasons.

ddd said:
I also find it ironic that you are calling Melbourne players grubs and questioning whether they play within the spirit of the game, yet you list Hodges as your favourite player. That could be the new definition of Irony. Hodges is without doubt the biggest grub in the Broncos team, if not the NRL.

He'd need to play to be grubby, and despite it all, the NRL hasn't had to change the rules to reign in his behaviour (ala Slater), and he was never too focused on trying to injure that he missed a GF (Smith). But I guess that's what's good about the Broncos, our dirties player is cleaner then the cleanest Melbourne player icon_thumbs_u

Lol, ok, so Hodges has never been suspended for anything dangerous? In my opinon, a spear tackle is about the most dangerous thing you can do on a footy field (other than try and shoulder charge Fui Fui Moi Moi) Or is this another case of you carefully wording it so you can come back and say that Hodges never missed a grand final because of anythign dangerous?

Just like the Storm, Hodges is constantly pusing the boundaries of the rules and so called "spirit of the game" every time he plays. The difference is Hodges usually pushes the boundaries on rules that have been around for years. He does dumb stuff and usually gets penalised and/or suspended because of it. The Storm are doing things there aren't even any rules about, so the refs don't even know what to do.

Do you think that the Storm really invented grapple/chicken wing/crusher tackles? They've been around for years. It's just that they weren't common place so there was no need for rules to be made against them, and there is so much hysteria these days around the Storm and their tactics that the moment they do anything out of the ordinary, the media coins a phrase for it and goes on about it until the NRL are forced to act on it. I think too much of the Storms success is put down to things such as grapple tackles etc. It's easier to focus on the supposed negative aspects of their game than accept they are just a well drilled team.

And if we're talking about the games administration having to change rules to cater for a certain players tactics, what about Alan Langer. How many rules did the game have to change because of him, yet he is (or was lol) regarded as a hero around here and perhaps the greatest Bronco of all time. If we're going on rule changes to reign in a players behaviour as a measure of grubiness, he's perhaps the biggest grub in the history of the game. But of course he isn't, he was just pushing the boundaries and playing within the rules at the time, and no one seemed to have an issue with that when the Broncos were benefiting from it and being successful at the time.

At the end of the day, you're right though. Everyone has different opinions on Melbourne, and no one is going to change them based on an internet discussion. I think the way the Storm play certainly polarises peoples opinion. To me, they seem like the sort of team most people either love or hate. There is rarely any middle ground. This isn't a bad thing though. How boring would it be around here if everyone agreed with everything everyone said?

FWIW though, I'm not a Storm fan, and I don't particularly like the way they play. Just like Coxy, I find their style of play boring. However, unlike most on here, I'm not a one eye Broncos fan and can appreciate the success of other teams, especially in an era when on field success is so important in terms of corporate sponsorship, fan base, player retention etc. They've found a style of play that is successful and in my opinion they should be respected for this.

I just dislike arrogant, one eyed fans more than I dislike the Storm.

Actually, the Storm have knocked the Broncos out of the finals the last 3 seasons. They obviously didn't appreciate us beating them in 2006 and have taken great pleasure in knocking us out every year hence.

Coxy said:
Actually, the Storm have knocked the Broncos out of the finals the last 3 seasons. They obviously didn't appreciate us beating them in 2006 and have taken great pleasure in knocking us out every year hence.

IMO that's a perfectly justified reason for Broncos fans to hate them on its own. Without talking about their achievements or abilities, consider the fact that they have been the team to end our season for 3 years. Doesn't matter who it is, when a team has caused your own that much heartbreak, you should be able to hate the shit out of them without some tedious closet fanboy whinging about how jealous you are or how one eyed you are.

They probably hated us after 06 and rightfully so. We're just returning the favour.

Scotty what I don't get is why being a one eyed zealot of your club is a bad thing? That's what being a fan is about. You live and breathe your team.

I can appreciate good rugby league from other teams. As I said in my response, while I admire the Storm's successful exploitation of the modern game's rules and processes, I don't enjoy watching it. At all.

The Rock said:
Considering how much success the Broncos have had in the past, we don't have any reason to be jealous.
lol @ living in the past.

so if for example you made $200 000 one year at your job, but then for the next 5 years you made $10k a year, would you not be jealous of the guy who made $0 the year you made $200k, but who has then made $500k a year, year in year out, for the next 5 years? or would you say 'look how much success i had in the past, i have no reason to be jealous now'?

dwelling in the past is what got the Broncos into this problem. we didnt need to change our playing style to adapt to the limited interchange after 2000, look how successful we were in the past! we didnt need to adapt to the new tactics being employed by all the teams who for some reason would beat us every time we play them post 2000, because we were really successful in the past! we didnt need a new coach with new ideas and gameplans because we've been so successful in the past!

people hate the teams that are constantly successful, its nothing new. manly in the mid 90s? everyone hated them because they were nearly unbeatable in the general season. Canberra in the early-mid 90s. Brisbane during pretty much the whole 90s. Sydney City and the bulldogs in the early-mid 00's. now its melbourne in the mid-late 00's/early 10's.

Storm suck balls.

Storm are grubs, coach down.

The storm are a bunch of fannys

Personally I don't hate watching the Storm. I think it's cool watching different teams go about their business in different ways. I hate them for knocking us out of the finals so many times but I want them to be a strong, successful club for the good of the game. Wrong thread?

gUt said:
Personally I don't hate watching the Storm. I think it's cool watching different teams go about their business in different ways. I hate them for knocking us out of the finals so many times but I want them to be a strong, successful club for the good of the game. Wrong thread?

GTFO gUt! The storm suck anus.

pU1p3ehaPp0owg43RihIwoCro1_500.gif

She got owned by his infamous fend...

/bad taste

Melbourne is a team of lame-wads icon_thumbs_u

OK, everyone has had their fun bagging the storm and nowthis thread has just degenerated to ridiculous so I'm locking it.

If you have any further genuine discussion for this topic PM it to me and if I agree with you that it genuninely adds to the discussion I'll put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • Skathen
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Froosh
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Shane Tronc
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.