Any reasons Broncs WON'T win wooden spoon?

88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
Griffin is actually Whites mate so I believe he did just "fluke" that role. Why else wasn't he sacked when even Henjak had a better record.

White and Griffin are besties. For us to succeed, both have to go.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Griffin is actually Whites mate so I believe he did just "fluke" that role. Why else wasn't he sacked when even Henjak had a better record.

Imo the term "doesn't have a clue" should only be used by someone who has proven they have .

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Whites main role as CEO is the business side of the footy club... and since the Broncos are flourishing off the field he is doing his job and doing it well.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but the Broncos board hires the coach not the CEO.

And Hejak got sacked because he had lost the support of the players and if you recall we had more hidings in the 2010 season than any other season in the clubs history (including 2013)

Last edited:
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think our forward pack is just too good to get the spoon but you just never know what could happen. Unless Hunt or his halves partner turn out to be a star this season I think we are in for a lone year. We also need Barba to be at his best.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
How do we have the worst spine in the NRL? That's complete bullshit. Penrith, Raiders, Eels, Dragons and a few more are far worse than ours. We barely lost any games last year by more than 8 points. Barba has a lot of tires in him and with Maranta out that's at least one more try in a game. With better fitness we won't give games away in the last 20 minutes. I'm going to work out how many games we lost by a few points in the last 20 later due to boredom and uni holidays. We could make top 4. And if the refs knew what a forward pass was we would have won another 2 or 3 games. CoughKnightscough.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Last year we had two ex origin reps in the halves (as bad as they were) and this year we go in with the worst spine in the comp.

I will refer back to this post if I am correct and can expect you to do the same.

I suppose being cynical I would much prefer to lose 6 straight, sack the coach and salvage a year rather than win 3 from our first 8, remain hopeful all year of sneaking into the 8 only to miss out yet again and endure a season of post match interviews listen to Griffins garbage.

Well if/when you are incorrect I expect you to refer back to this post and show some fucking humility.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
worst spine? barba was the dally m medalist in 2012. people need to forget his 2013 form. he was clearly troubled off the field, barely raised a smile all year, and it affected his game.

since being in brisbane theres probably 1000 photos of him and he looks genuinely happy in every single one of them. his life off the field has settled, and im very confident that will translate into good footy again.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
worst spine? barba was the dally m medalist in 2012. people need to forget his 2013 form. he was clearly troubled off the field, barely raised a smile all year, and it affected his game.

since being in brisbane theres probably 1000 photos of him and he looks genuinely happy in every single one of them. his life off the field has settled, and im very confident that will translate into good footy again.

Barba still scored 10 tries in 2013

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
i highly doubt we will get the spoon. Tho i do think we will probably struggle again. Our halves and hooker will be i downfall i feel, tho i hope they prove us doubters wrong. Tho Barba could bring a spark we need, i just don't see Hunt, and Macca being able to steer the ship.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013

Can you post the article please? Not everyone wants to support the Courier Mail by giving them website hits.

BRISBANE will need to defy almost 50 years of rugby league history if the Broncos are to pull off a miraculous turnaround and win the NRL premiership. The departure of Scott Prince and Peter Wallace means the Broncos will start the season without a Test or Origin representative player in the key positions of fullback, five-eighth, halfback and hooker.
No side has won the title in the past 48 years without a representative player in the spine of the side.
The premiership successes of Melbourne, Manly and the Sydney Roosters in recent seasons have been based around the quartet who hold the key to victory in big games.

404562-d5afe8da-8ed4-11e3-836d-02ea2adb9f0a.jpg

Brisbane players celebrate a try during a clash agains the Rabbitohs. Source: News Limited

With Ben Barba, Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough likely to be joined by either Jordan Kahu or debutant Zach Strasser in the spine this year, the Broncos do not have a rep game between them. The Sunday Mail asked Fox Sports Stats to research the last time a spine without rep experience won the premiership and they eventually came up with the news that South Sydney last did it in 1968.
That team had Eric Simms, Denis Pittard, Bob Grant and Elwyn Walters in the spine, but it was also captained by the legendary John Sattler, featured the great Ron Coote and was coached by the little master Clive Churchill.
Sattler said the Broncos could learn valuable lessons from the Rabbitohs team he skippered to successive titles with their defeat of Manly in 1968.
"The key for the Broncos is you don't necessarily need representative halves to be successful," he said.
"As long as you have a consistent pairing that has a good understanding, they can do well.
"Our halves Pittard and Grant might not have been superstars, but they were solid, smart, mistake-free p
404591-72119b08-9090-11e3-86cc-868f1cbd06db.jpg

Ben Barba goes hard during a Broncos training at Purtell Park. Source: News Limited

layers and we had class forwards like Ron Coote and Bob McCarthy who provided the edge in the forwards."Sometimes a good team doesn't need a champion playmaker, you just need halves who can steer a team around the park and utilise the skills of people around them.
"I like the look of the Broncos' forwards and our great teams at Souths were the same.''
While Barba may have reached the 2012 grand final with Canterbury, that team was guided by NSW hooker Michael Ennis.
Maroons hopeful Barba is under pressure to fire this season after his horrid last season at Belmore, but Sattler believes the 2012 Dally M Medallist will hit back.
"I think Ben Barba will be great for them, he is a brilliant player,'' Sattler said.
"In the past he has been a bit erratic in his general life but the Broncos are a professional club and they will make sure his mind is on the job.
"He will have a big year for them. I'm saying that because of the culture of the Broncos. The discipline of the place is the best thing that could have happened for Ben.''
Canterbury were the last team to reach the grand final without rep stars in the spine, but that was 16 years ago when Rod Silva, Craig Polla-Mounter, Corey Hughes and Jason Hetherington got the Dogs into the decider with two epic finals comebacks.

[h=3]NRL pre-season: Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin 2:55[/h]

DVU_060214_NRL_PREVIEW_GRIFFIN_IV.jpg

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin chats to Fox Sports rugby league commentator Ben Ikin about the captaincy reshuffle at the club and Ben Barba's impact on the team.

Three of those four had won a premiership three years earlier alongside Terry Lamb, but Hetherington recalls his side were also written off many times in 1998 and proved everyone wrong through sheer will and commitment."I just think that we played for each other. We had that belief in ourselves," Hetherington said.
"I think a lot of the credit must go to Billy Johnstone. He added a lot of steel to Canterbury and their mentality.
"We ended up with a lot of self-belief in that 1998 series.
"We weren't a star-studded side but we all got on well, we were a terrific team with great camaraderie and I think that goes a long way.''
Hetherington said the biggest advantage teams had with rep players in the key positions was the ability to coach on the run, where experienced hands such as Cameron Smith teach younger players during games.
"A coach can't get out on the field, but when you have a good core of senior guys they really help you with the coaching on the field and they help out the younger blokes," Hetherington said.

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
its a nothing article about how hte broncos do not have a rep player in their spine and no team has won the comp in 48 years without that

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
its a nothing article about how hte broncos do not have a rep player in their spine and no team has won the comp in 48 years without that

Which is pretty redundant seeing no one, anywhere is claiming we have a chance of winning the comp

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
That is a long bow. Wallace > rep player . The only rep team he would've made over the last few years would liability international , he'll he would be captain.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
We wont get the spoon, on the other hand we wont be genuine contenders either.

White has been doing a good job as CEO and his hand will be forced if Griffin hasn't made an attempt to better himself as a coach.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
How do we have the worst spine in the NRL? That's complete bullshit. Penrith, Raiders, Eels, Dragons and a few more are far worse than ours. We barely lost any games last year by more than 8 points. Barba has a lot of tires in him and with Maranta out that's at least one more try in a game. With better fitness we won't give games away in the last 20 minutes. I'm going to work out how many games we lost by a few points in the last 20 later due to boredom and uni holidays. We could make top 4. And if the refs knew what a forward pass was we would have won another 2 or 3 games. CoughKnightscough.

We lost 3 games by 2 points or less, we also won 3 games by 2 points.
9 out of our 13 losses were by 8 points or more.

You are really reaching to suggest we were unlucky to not make top 4.

Unread

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Scdeac
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Manofoneway
  • mieko
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.