Any reasons Broncs WON'T win wooden spoon?

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i think he's saying 'we could make top 4' this year.

its not an outrageous statement. to expect us to make top 4 would be a stretch. if hunt is solid, barba fires, our forward pack is very strong, and the fitness is there, we get a bit of momentum well anything can happen.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
A lot will depend on our defence. People are focussing on what we can do in attack with this spine, but we won't make a dent in this comp if we remain soft in the middle and miss tackles at will like last season.

Some teams (like the Cowboys or the 2005 Tigers) can have a mantra of "it doesn't matter how much the opposition scores, as long as we score more tries than them", we must have a mantra of "it doesn't matter how little we score, as long as the opposition scores less".

We have the forward pack to dominate most teams, and unless we have another huge injury run like last season, we have the backline to score enough points to win most games, as long as we defend well.

Are we a premiership candidate? Probably not...
Are we cannon fodder? Certainly not.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
We lost 3 games by 2 points or less, we also won 3 games by 2 points.
9 out of our 13 losses were by 8 points or more.

You are really reaching to suggest we were unlucky to not make top 4.

Yeah I was saying if everything works out this year we will have a chance of finishing top 4. We finished 12th on 25 points. If we won 5 more games we would have been top 4.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
How do we have the worst spine in the NRL? That's complete bullshit. Penrith, Raiders, Eels, Dragons and a few more are far worse than ours. We barely lost any games last year by more than 8 points. Barba has a lot of tires in him and with Maranta out that's at least one more try in a game. With better fitness we won't give games away in the last 20 minutes. I'm going to work out how many games we lost by a few points in the last 20 later due to boredom and uni holidays. We could make top 4. And if the refs knew what a forward pass was we would have won another 2 or 3 games. CoughKnightscough.

I think the forward pass called against the Broncos in the Warriors game was complete bullshit also. If that wasn't called forward, we win.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
We have about as much chance making the top 4 as we do winning the comp.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
We have about as much chance making the top 4 as we do winning the comp.

Not only did we get Pirtek to sponsor us but we also got some of Parramattas fans too..

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
i think he's saying 'we could make top 4' this year.

its not an outrageous statement. to expect us to make top 4 would be a stretch. if hunt is solid, barba fires, our forward pack is very strong, and the fitness is there, we get a bit of momentum well anything can happen.

I think it's a stretch because Griffin is our coach. On paper we aren't a top 4 team, but much like Hasler did with Barba and the Dogs in 2012, a smart, well executed game plan with our roster would definitely see us as Top 4 and even premiership contenders. Unfortunately, I think the odds on Griffin coming up with that are longer than our chances of signing Jonathan Thurston for next season.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Clearly not because parra fans are optimistic about where the team and coach are headed.

I that case can we arrange an exchange program of sorts?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Let's keep the personal stuff out of here. The topic is about why the Broncos wont win the wooden spoon, so lets talk about that instead.

I've purposely not added anything to this thread because I think it's stupid, we're not wooden spoon contenders, no way.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Because the Parramatta Eels, West Tigers, St. George Dragons and Canberra Raiders exist.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
We've got an international forward pack, made some good signings including Ben Barba, finally have a halfback playing in his best position and we are not even close to being a wooden spoon club.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Just like last year everyone but the coach knows it's going to be a bad year. What happened to Hook saying I'm going to stand by my under 20s and if they fail it will be on my head. Seems he's the only person to escape the axe, I guess it helps when your the one wielding it!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Nothing to see here

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • BRC088
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.