Ashes 2015 Series in-game thread

Not sure what sort of roster we'll be going with moving forward, Harris gone, Clarke gone, Rogers more than likely gone, doubt Watson & S.Marsh will get any more opportunities given their age. I'm not a massive fan of Voges either, plus he's 35. Johnson may not have many years left either.

1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Lynn
4. Smith (c)
5. Burns
6. M.Marsh
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Something like this I guess, Lynn & Burns deserve a proper shot at test cricket, both been consistently good for Queensland for quite a while. Both average 40+ in FC and both can play aggressive if need be.

That is a bad batting line up. Lynn is not up to batting at 3. Hasn't completed a summer of shield cricket due to injury. Maddinson is a no no. Very lose in defense. He is a dasher just like Warner. We need a grafter to open with Warner. Bancroft from WA comes to mind but he is still very young and only averages 30 at shield level. I think Smith has to stay at 3 now. Burns might open but I prefer him in the middle order tbh.

We have plenty of quality bowlers but the challenge for us is to get the right balance in our attack. I am worried about Nevill though. Some of his dismissals were very poor.

I don't like the Mexicans - but not as much as I hate the NSWankers. But that's irrelevant to this discussion.

But congratulations on posting 3 pictures of random players Australia has tried. I disagree that Neville is the best keeper and Lyon was just lucky we had no decent spinners. He will be overtaken soon so it will be interesting to see if he holds his spot.

The thing about the NSW guys is they get picked after doing SFA in the shield competition. Basically they get picked on potential while other guys from other states are making runs or taking wickets are overlooked for them.

I don't disagree BB, especially in the past but at this point in time, we don't have guys from other states putting their hands up or staying fit long enough.

As for Voges, he will keep getting picked for experience. Shaun Marsh is the rubbish that looks good and is the selectors golden child. It's frustrating but the selectors won't make the changes needed and just use the experience excuse.

I'd be going Silk to open, he has matured and could be the Rogers type partner that compliments Warner so well. The middle order will just be a mess.

I don't really care about averages in FC, we just need to experiment with young batsmen in Bangladesh, we can't keep rolling with these old blokes (Rogers, Voges), I'm genuinely hopeful that Burns & Lynn get a crack, Lynn is one of the best young batsmen in Australia, despite his injury history.

What I was trying to say before was that there's no batsman in Australia who would obviously have done better on this tour.
We just don't have the swinging wickets to get experience on.

The thing about the NSW guys is they get picked after doing SFA in the shield competition. Basically they get picked on potential while other guys from other states are making runs or taking wickets are overlooked for them.

They get picked because they are/were Michael Clarke lapdogs.

Michael Clarke is crickets version of DCE from Manly.

285388-michael-beer.jpg

007988-rob-quiney.jpg

636148-bryce-mcgain.jpg

Bet you're Victorian in some way. If not you would love life there.

Yeah Warner, Smith, Nevill, Lyon etc only get picked on where they are from nothing to do with the fact they are the best batsmen/keeper/spinner in the country

Lyon is from South Australia and was the Test spinner before moving and Nevill was taken from Victoria- New South Wales didn't develop either.

What I was trying to say before was that there's no batsman in Australia who would obviously have done better on this tour.
We just don't have the swinging wickets to get experience on.

No one in the touring squad hasn't played in England before and this tour didn't get creep up on us. England has played like this for 130 years.

The we don't have those pitches excuse is poor.

Lyon is from South Australia and was the Test spinner before moving and Nevill was taken from Victoria- New South Wales didn't develop either.

Nathan Lyon is born and breed in Young NSW and played all of his development cricket in NSW before moving to South Australia. I know that Nevill is Victorian born and breed and moved to NSW after not getting a chance there it seems.

Not sure what sort of roster we'll be going with moving forward, Harris gone, Clarke gone, Rogers more than likely gone, doubt Watson & S.Marsh will get any more opportunities given their age. I'm not a massive fan of Voges either, plus he's 35. Johnson may not have many years left either.

1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Lynn
4. Smith (c)
5. Burns
6. M.Marsh
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Something like this I guess, Lynn & Burns deserve a proper shot at test cricket, both been consistently good for Queensland for quite a while. Both average 40+ in FC and both can play aggressive if need be.

Lynn hasn't shown anything to indicate he could hold down three in a Test side. Burns is coming off his best season ever but he needs to do it again. He's averaged everything from 72 to 30. That's not exactly consistent. But he's closer than Lynn.

Lynn's season average: 36, 53, 19, 68, 16, 62. That's not consistent and some of those seasons are as small as two games. He's yet to do a whole summer. His biggest year is 8 games and 752 runs. Lynn needs to finish a year, score 1000 runs and produce more innings like 142 to get a draw after following on.

Nathan Lyon is born and breed in Young NSW and played all of his development cricket in NSW before moving to South Australia. I know that Nevill is Victorian born and breed and moved to NSW after not getting a chance there it seems.

Nope played no development cricket for NSW- ACT U17 and ACT U19.

Last edited:
No one in the touring squad hasn't played in England before and this tour didn't get creep up on us. England has played like this for 130 years.

The we don't have those pitches excuse is poor.

Playing on it once every 3-4 years is a bit different to every summer.

Who do you think would be good in swinging conditions, and is not currently on tour?

Maybe we could get some kiwi teams into the shield, then we'd have some green tops to play on regularly.

I don't disagree BB, especially in the past but at this point in time, we don't have guys from other states putting their hands up or staying fit long enough.

As for Voges, he will keep getting picked for experience. Shaun Marsh is the rubbish that looks good and is the selectors golden child. It's frustrating but the selectors won't make the changes needed and just use the experience excuse.

I'd be going Silk to open, he has matured and could be the Rogers type partner that compliments Warner so well. The middle order will just be a mess.

In Voges' defence he did score 1358 runs last year; he did earn his spot with a lot more than experience.

See Silk again is the same Shield average 33 and last year 27- What do those figures become when faced with Anderson and Broad?

Playing on it once every 3-4 years is a bit different to every summer.

Who do you think would be good in swinging conditions, and is not currently on tour?

Maybe we could get some kiwi teams into the shield, then we'd have some green tops to play on regularly.

I wasn't talking about tours although you can add those in too- they've all played County cricket.

I'm a big fan of unless you're average 60 in the Shield and scoring 1000 plus runs in a summer don't bother playing Test cricket; if you're scrapping together 30 runs a knock for your state that becomes about 15 in Tests.

We'll obviously [MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION], but the point is we don't have anyone doing that and still have to put out a team, given you have to take the best of what's available even if that is jack all, what is your alternative?

We'll obviously @1910, but the point is we don't have anyone doing that and still have to put out a team, given you have to take the best of what's available even if that is jack all, what is your alternative?

It should be obvious but I am pretty sure it isn't anymore. Nearly every suggested Test player over the last 48 hours is barely holding onto a Shield spot. We were at our best when guys had to dominate Shield cricket when it was tough near Test cricket and produced ready to play players.

We've gone away from that both as individual players and as a competition. MacGill today has called for Doran to play he fifth Test!

Like I said I don't think you can make too many changes; retirements aside but I think largely this is it for maybe 3 years. We need to work on Test match playing and mindset especially away from home.

So in your opinion, it it better to give a shot to a 32 year old averaging 35 or a 23/4 year old averaging slightly better? Both suck but those are our choices:

Active Now

• Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.