Ashes Discussion

So you'd get rid of one of our best fast bowlers of all time, because he had 1 summer where he averaged 40?

Starc hasn't performed in years? How about we just say he's had a bad 2021, as shown below.

2019 - 42 @ 20
2020 - 12 @ 20
2021 - 3 @ 96

Starc not playing in England was an absolute joke, not picking our biggest threat with a swinging ball in England with the duke was insanity.

You can't use my theory and apply it to Wade, because he doesn't have an amazing record and one of our highest run scorers of all time. Starc on the other hand, has an amazing record and one of our highest wicket takers of all time. This theory was used when we didn't drop Warner after he averaged 9 in the series, because of all he has done previously.
Because nobody was up Warner’s ass. They still aren’t. Jhye Richardson is in our top 3 fast bowlers you can’t keep picking a side off there previous form if there form for a while isn’t adequate. Quite a few players getting around in our side who need to pull there finger out or can’t be immune to getting dropped… starting with Starc

Because nobody was up Warner’s ass. They still aren’t. Jhye Richardson is in our top 3 fast bowlers you can’t keep picking a side off there previous form if there form for a while isn’t adequate. Quite a few players getting around in our side who need to pull there finger out or can’t be immune to getting dropped… starting with Starc
Richardson can barely string 2-3 games together before getting injured.

I'm completely against dropping proven test players with elite records because of 1 poor series/summer.

If Warner, Smith, Marnus, Cummins, Lyon, Hazlewood or Starc have a bad series, they've done enough in the past to maintain their spot in the side. I think dropping the 9th highest wicket taker of all time after a bad year is stupid.

Richardson can barely string 2-3 games together before getting injured.

I'm completely against dropping proven test players with elite records because of 1 poor series/summer.

If Warner, Smith, Marnus, Cummins, Lyon, Hazlewood or Starc have a bad series, they've done enough in the past to maintain their spot in the side. I think dropping the 9th highest wicket taker of all time after a bad year is stupid.
It’s not 1 series though open your fucking eyes… he’s been spraying them for years and picking up tail enders to make out like he provdies something for **** sakes… It makes fucken Matt Kuhnemann look good but that’s all he’s fucken doing watch the fucken game and watch him spray the ball from left to right it with zero consistency and he gets tail Enders cause they can’t deal with the shit in their pants from his pace. I completely agree that he deserves the opportunity to play but by no means is he untouchable when if there was anyone in that side who should be watching the series from there couch or there bbl teams hotel it’s him. He has not performed for quite some time and he is getting through his career now by being good 3 years ago. I love the bloke but when we start losing series against proper teams cause dick brains can’t put the ball on a consistent spot any more by no means does he deserve instant selection when there are other people right up his ass. If he was performing like Richo and Neser at the moment he would have every man in Australia’s mouth virtually on his genitals. When do we start pulling our heads in and stop picking the more notable but significantly out of form player over the in form on fire hopefuls. Your nostalgia of what he used to do is making you to hopeful he can return to that form. Mitch is on the wrong side of 30 and has never had someone up his ass to pull his finger out… time for him to do that in the trial game and first test otherwise he does not warrant any further selections at the expense of other cricketers.

It’s not 1 series though open your fucking eyes… he’s been spraying them for years and picking up tail enders to make out like he provdies something for **** sakes… It makes fucken Matt Kuhnemann look good but that’s all he’s fucken doing watch the fucken game and watch him spray the ball from left to right it with zero consistency and he gets tail Enders cause they can’t deal with the shit in their pants from his pace. I completely agree that he deserves the opportunity to play but by no means is he untouchable when if there was anyone in that side who should be watching the series from there couch or there bbl teams hotel it’s him. He has not performed for quite some time and he is getting through his career now by being good 3 years ago. I love the bloke but when we start losing series against proper teams cause dick brains can’t put the ball on a consistent spot any more by no means does he deserve instant selection when there are other people right up his ass. If he was performing like Richo and Neser at the moment he would have every man in Australia’s mouth virtually on his genitals. When do we start pulling our heads in and stop picking the more notable but significantly out of form player over the in form on fire hopefuls. Your nostalgia of what he used to do is making you to hopeful he can return to that form. Mitch is on the wrong side of 30 and has never had someone up his ass to pull his finger out… time for him to do that in the trial game and first test otherwise he does not warrant any further selections at the expense of other cricketers.
I never said he is untouchable, I said 1 bad series isn't enough to drop him. You say he has been spraying it for years, well 2019-2020 he took over 50 wickets at 20. Starc has always sprayed it, he isn't a line and length bowler, he is a wicket taker. His strike rate is under 50 which is one of the best of all time for someone who has played the amount he has. Then you come out and say Neser is killing it at the moment, but Neser has played 2 FC matches in the last 3 months and was injured in the most recent one.

I believe that you need to earn your way into the side, and once you do it's your spot to hold until you don't deserve it anymore. Starc still deserves his spot, no matter how well Richardson is going for WA.

Well Paine is gone, Australia will have a new keeper for the Ashes.

So who is it going to be (not who would you prefer, more who will the selectors go with)?

Inglis
Carey
Peirson
Phillippe

I'd say these are the options under consideration in what I think is the most likely order in selectors' minds (not my order of preference).
They need to be careful with who they pick as the new keeper.

Our best batters are all top order and quite often Paine was coming to the crease after a collapse.

With Head at 5 and a still rookie Green at 6 we need to have that stability so we arent 4/5 out all out.

I would probably want the best shield batting keeper in there rather than the best big bash hitter.

I think Green ran out of partners a bit coming in at 6, so a solid bat at the other end who can accumulate time at the crease gives him time at the crease with batsmen rather than the tail.

I never said he is untouchable, I said 1 bad series isn't enough to drop him. You say he has been spraying it for years, well 2019-2020 he took over 50 wickets at 20. Starc has always sprayed it, he isn't a line and length bowler, he is a wicket taker. His strike rate is under 50 which is one of the best of all time for someone who has played the amount he has. Then you come out and say Neser is killing it at the moment, but Neser has played 2 FC matches in the last 3 months and was injured in the most recent one.

I believe that you need to earn your way into the side, and once you do it's your spot to hold until you don't deserve it anymore. Starc still deserves his spot, no matter how well Richardson is going for WA.
First of all Neser has been killing it for years something Starc can’t say and whilst Starc got 42 wickets in 2019 that’s in 15 innings. That’s 2.8 wickets an innings. Fairly impressive but how many of those are realistically tail Enders. My guess is a lot. On top of that since then the bloke has had 15 wickets since then in 10 innings not exactly impressive. Plus the year before that he made 31 wickets in 18 innings. Sounds like a lot of wickets but that’s 1-2 (1.7) wickets per innings and yet again I’d put money on a lot of them being tail enders again. I just don’t think the numbers your chucking up are very representative of his performances. Kuhnemann just got 8 wickets 5 of them against tail Enders. Yes of course cleaning up tail Enders is important but any player can do it. Jhye Richardson has been cleaning up top order batsman for most this season and your only argument against him is he is injury prone. So was Pat look how that turned out for us. He is now our ‘golden boy’ captain. Since Tim Paine has become captain Starc has made 73 wickets from 35 innings (2 an innings). 4 bowlers that would on average mean he is not pulling his weight. Our biggest issue last year was he couldn’t get wickets. You need to stop looking at stats mate and look a bit deeper in to the situation cause the point is there that all he seems to be good for these days is scaring openers and then falling asleep until the tail Enders come out.

Our best batters are all top order and quite often Paine was coming to the crease after a collapse.

With Head at 5 and a still rookie Green at 6 we need to have that stability so

With Head at 5 and a still rookie Green at 6 we need to have that stability so we arent 4/5 out all out.

I would probably want the best shield batting keeper in there rather than the best big bash hitter.

I think Green ran out of partners a bit coming in at 6, so a solid bat at the other end who can accumulate time at the crease gives him time at the crease with batsmen rather than the tail.
If they pick Wade he bats 6 and Green 7 I think. I am interested to see of Green's bowling develops. I know he has not done much at test level due to managing injury but it would be nice to have an additional option and see him take his first test wicket.

First of all Neser has been killing it for years something Starc can’t say and whilst Starc got 42 wickets in 2019 that’s in 15 innings. That’s 2.8 wickets an innings. Fairly impressive but how many of those are realistically tail Enders. My guess is a lot. On top of that since then the bloke has had 15 wickets since then in 10 innings not exactly impressive. Plus the year before that he made 31 wickets in 18 innings. Sounds like a lot of wickets but that’s 1-2 (1.7) wickets per innings and yet again I’d put money on a lot of them being tail enders again. I just don’t think the numbers your chucking up are very representative of his performances. Kuhnemann just got 8 wickets 5 of them against tail Enders. Yes of course cleaning up tail Enders is important but any player can do it. Jhye Richardson has been cleaning up top order batsman for most this season and your only argument against him is he is injury prone. So was Pat look how that turned out for us. He is now our ‘golden boy’ captain. Since Tim Paine has become captain Starc has made 73 wickets from 35 innings (2 an innings). 4 bowlers that would on average mean he is not pulling his weight. Our biggest issue last year was he couldn’t get wickets. You need to stop looking at stats mate and look a bit deeper in to the situation cause the point is there that all he seems to be good for these days is scaring openers and then falling asleep until the tail Enders come out.
So you're willing to take Neser's form from the last several years, but not Starcs? And now you want to take away his wickets from the tail?

I'm not arguing against Richardson either, I think both him and Neser are guns and would absolutely do a great job in the test side. I'm saying Starc doesn't deserve to lose his spot.

And if you believe he scares openers and removes the tailenders, that's Starcy covering 6 of the 11, which leaves the middle order for the other bowlers. And should we also consider the help his footmarks bring to Lyon? Once we ditch Starc it's back to 3 right arm quicks, which will have a negative effect on the goat.

So you're willing to take Neser's form from the last several years, but not Starcs? And now you want to take away his wickets from the tail?

I'm not arguing against Richardson either, I think both him and Neser are guns and would absolutely do a great job in the test side. I'm saying Starc doesn't deserve to lose his spot.

And if you believe he scares openers and removes the tailenders, that's Starcy covering 6 of the 11, which leaves the middle order for the other bowlers. And should we also consider the help his footmarks bring to Lyon? Once we ditch Starc it's back to 3 right arm quicks, which will have a negative effect on the goat.
But he’s not on average he is covering 2 of those 10 wickets he is by no means doing his portion of the job and by no means does he have any effect from his first spell until the shitty tail enders come out. Like seriously it has genuinely taken you about 4 posts to come up with a serious argument of why he should be there and even then one of them is fairly shitty as any bowler can create foot marks especially Cummins and Hoff who would do the same damage to the pitch. Only argument you have had that is legitimate is 3 right hand quicks versus a 2:1 right handed ratio. Yes you can also use Nesers past cause it is consistent and the same as it is now that is not the case for Starc who has fluctuated a number of times. I can guarantee you this will be Starcs last Ashes and possibly home series unless something changes up real quick. Richardson stays fit it’s all over.

You just have your eyes shut to the possibility of Starc, you have an excuse for all of the good things he does. You even tried to say Cummins/Hazlewood can cause the same foot marks for Lyon as Starc can, which is just rubbish. In a way to drop Starc, you wanna get them to smash out 20 overs around the wicket?

I find it amusing you defend Nesers past performances because of it's consistency, and just completely disregard Starcs performance and consistency, and make excuses as to why he has done so well. You are about as rational as Warne when it comes to Starc.

You just have your eyes shut to the possibility of Starc, you have an excuse for all of the good things he does. You even tried to say Cummins/Hazlewood can cause the same foot marks for Lyon as Starc can, which is just rubbish. In a way to drop Starc, you wanna get them to smash out 20 overs around the wicket?

I find it amusing you defend Nesers past performances because of it's consistency, and just completely disregard Starcs performance and consistency, and make excuses as to why he has done so well. You are about as rational as Warne when it comes to Starc.
No mate you have your eyes shut your talking about how he has been sublime for years except last its a load of crap he hasn’t. Your picking reputation over ability and it’s foolish. Surely your next in line to sit on the selectors panel. Seem to share a lot of traits with them.

Read! I am saying you can bring up Nesers past because he is getting wickets and has consistently performed during those periods at a high standard. Mitchell Starc you only highlight what he does good and I show you the bad from within. You haven’t even realised how much of a drop off he has had. If you want to pick him fine but don’t pretend he is some golden bowler who benefits us so much cause he doesn’t he is as useless as tits on a bull.

No mate you have your eyes shut your talking about how he has been sublime for years except last its a load of crap he hasn’t. Your picking reputation over ability and it’s foolish. Surely your next in line to sit on the selectors panel. Seem to share a lot of traits with them.
His record shows how good he has been. I'm picking long term proven success at the highest level, ahead of short term success at shield level. Teams in all sports go wrong when you start chopping and changing off short term form while ignoring long term performance.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Read! I am saying you can bring up Nesers past because he is getting wickets and has consistently performed during those periods at a high standard. Mitchell Starc you only highlight what he does good and I show you the bad from within. You haven’t even realised how much of a drop off he has had. If you want to pick him fine but don’t pretend he is some golden bowler who benefits us so much cause he doesn’t he is as useless as tits on a bull.
Mitchell Starc has also performed during these periods, and he has done it at test level, where Neser has only performed at state level.

I haven't said he is a golden bowler, he is the 4th pick in our lineup of 4 and will be the first to go if we don't get results and he doesn't perform. Only one of us is struggling to understand the other persons argument, you're just so worked up over not liking him. You discredit him taking over 50 wickets in 2 years at an average of 20 and tried to make him look bad for doing that. You're completely irrational over the discussion and can only see one side.

His record shows how good he has been. I'm picking long term proven success at the highest level, ahead of short term success at shield level. Teams in all sports go wrong when you start chopping and changing off short term form while ignoring long term performance.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Mitchell Starc has also performed during these periods, and he has done it at test level, where Neser has only performed at state level.

I haven't said he is a golden bowler, he is the 4th pick in our lineup of 4 and will be the first to go if we don't get results and he doesn't perform. Only one of us is struggling to understand the other persons argument, you're just so worked up over not liking him. You discredit him taking over 50 wickets in 2 years at an average of 20 and tried to make him look bad for doing that. You're completely irrational over the discussion and can only see one side.
I love Mitchell Starc you’re not even understanding my argument champion. Re-read cause I have stated if he doesn’t perform he doesn’t warrant to stay in the side. That would suggest he’s fucken in it. As for seeing one side go take a look at when Jhye Richardson debuted for Australia and go look how long Neser has consistently been selected in test squads. That’s long term success and when Starc is failing at all levels of cricket. ALL Levels (both state and National) of all formats. When people are willing to use the excuse for other players that they haven’t played red ball cricket for a long time why is he exempt (especially when it’s been longer since he has performed at it). We don’t owe Starc anything and it’s time for him to have a rest and refind what works for him. Cause if he can’t the remainder of his test career will be short lived. None of us want to see that and putting someone else in for once instead of us ignorantly viewing our bowling attack as perfect. When quite clearly it’s not we need to start rethinking how untouchable our bowlers should really be.

I love Mitchell Starc you’re not even understanding my argument champion. Re-read cause I have stated if he doesn’t perform he doesn’t warrant to stay in the side. That would suggest he’s fucken in it. As for seeing one side go take a look at when Jhye Richardson debuted for Australia and go look how long Neser has consistently been selected in test squads. That’s long term success and when Starc is failing at all levels of cricket. ALL Levels (both state and National) of all formats. When people are willing to use the excuse for other players that they haven’t played red ball cricket for a long time why is he exempt (especially when it’s been longer since he has performed at it). We don’t owe Starc anything and it’s time for him to have a rest and refind what works for him. Cause if he can’t the remainder of his test career will be short lived. None of us want to see that and putting someone else in for once instead of us ignorantly viewing our bowling attack as perfect. When quite clearly it’s not we need to start rethinking how untouchable our bowlers should really be.
You have clearly said he should be dropped, several times. Now you're suggesting he should be in the side he doesn't perform? You can try and champ me all you like, but your arguments are inconsistent. And now you're trying to bring in his performance in T20 towards his test selection? And you consider Neser just being selected in the test squad and not actually playing as an argument towards his long term success?

We absolutely owe Starc something, we owe him a bit of loyalty for his years of fantastic performances.

Can I ask you, if Marnus or Smudge averages 20 this Ashes, should they be dropped for the following series? I mean, what do we owe them? If they can't perform, then we should drop them and bring in someone who can, right?

You have clearly said he should be dropped, several times. Now you're suggesting he should be in the side he doesn't perform? You can try and champ me all you like, but your arguments are inconsistent. And now you're trying to bring in his performance in T20 towards his test selection? And you consider Neser just being selected in the test squad and not actually playing as an argument towards his long term success?

We absolutely owe Starc something, we owe him a bit of loyalty for his years of fantastic performances.

Can I ask you, if Marnus or Smudge averages 20 this Ashes, should they be dropped for the following series? I mean, what do we owe them? If they can't perform, then we should drop them and bring in someone who can, right?
Oh my god your talking as if Starc hasn’t been crap for years he has not been good since the last Ashes and don’t pretend he has with the 42 wickets bullshit that’s an anomaly and most of them are tail Enders. Since then he has fallen to 12 wickets in a year. Big drop don’t you think. As for smith and Marnus if they did start averaging low scores over longer than a series like Starc who has not been good for quite some time and people in line can do better than what they are dishing up than so be it. Like Usman Khawaja was dropped in the middle of the Ashes when he averaged 40 in his career which is very respectable for someone who could do the job better. It’s a performance industry and Starc doesn’t perform anymore.

As a matter of a fact I think we have gotten quite off topic of what the main point is. It’s a performance industry and the team should be picked off performance. Richardson and Neser are in better form thus Starc should not be picked (arguably Richardson is just straight up better than what Starc is). Don’t bring up previous bullshit cause the most previous thing you can pull out your ass is the 15 wickets he took in 2020 and 2021 so far. If you want to start talking about the different levels go back to April in the Sheffield final where Starc took 1 wicket

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.