Ashes Discussion

Oh my god your talking as if Starc hasn’t been crap for years he has not been good since the last Ashes and don’t pretend he has with the 42 wickets bullshit that’s an anomaly and most of them are tail Enders. Since then he has fallen to 12 wickets in a year. Big drop don’t you think. As for smith and Marnus if they did start averaging low scores over longer than a series like Starc who has not been good for quite some time and people in line can do better than what they are dishing up than so be it. Like Usman Khawaja was dropped in the middle of the Ashes when he averaged 40 in his career which is very respectable for someone who could do the job better. It’s a performance industry and Starc doesn’t perform anymore.
You are arguing Starc has been shit for years, and I've said he has just had a bad 2021. I have shown you evidence which proves your statement is wrong. One of the great things about cricket, is stats tell a big part of the story compared to other sports. How about we compare him against our other bowlers.

Starc
2019 - 42 @ 20
2020 - 12 @ 20
2021 - 3 @ 96

Cummins
2019 - 59 @ 20
2020 - 14 @ 17
2021 - 11 @ 22

Hazlewood
2019 - 33 @ 23
2020 - 7 @ 16
2021 - 10 @ 21

These stats tell me, Starc was as good or better than our 2 best quicks in 2 of the last 3 years. Yet you're arguing that he has been useless for years.

So tell us again how shit he is, and don't forget to mention his 0/60 from the T20 WC Final, because that's about as good of an argument as you've put up so far, champ.

You are arguing Starc has been shit for years, and I've said he has just had a bad 2021. I have shown you evidence which proves your statement is wrong. One of the great things about cricket, is stats tell a big part of the story compared to other sports. How about we compare him against our other bowlers.

Starc
2019 - 42 @ 20
2020 - 12 @ 20
2021 - 3 @ 96

Cummins
2019 - 59 @ 20
2020 - 14 @ 17
2021 - 11 @ 22

Hazlewood
2019 - 33 @ 23
2020 - 7 @ 16
2021 - 10 @ 21

These stats tell me, Starc was as good or better than our 2 best quicks in 2 of the last 3 years. Yet you're arguing that he has been useless for years.

So tell us again how shit he is, and don't forget to mention his 0/60 from the T20 WC Final, because that's about as good of an argument as you've put up so far, champ.
I haven’t even mention the final.

enlighten yourself from the last ashes to now… not much has changed and I am not the only one that feels this way. Stop putting up the same

Test Rankings @ 31st of January for the past few years he has only made top 10 once since 2018 and and in 2019 he was ranked at 25. 2 blokes from Bangladesh nobody has ever heard of before were ranked above him at the conclusion of a series @ home. That New Zealand series fair enough I’ll give that to you he redeemed himself and became 5th in the world before dropping down to 11 again after his abysmal performances last year against India. So really since 2018 he has had 1 good summer/series (which was very good) and that now stands to be 24 months ago. Since then he has not performed at nearly any level in any format. 24 months and Smith went from Worlds most hated man to Worlds best batsman again. 24 (technically 22 but whatever) months of pure shit and he isn’t susceptible to being dropped. We have an abundance of quality bowlers in this country and quite honestly earlier in April in the shield final he showed us how out of touch he really was. You have someone like Richardson who has a number of test hopefuls as his scalps this season and is by far the best bowler in the shield and he can’t get in because we ‘owe’ Starc. Hell no. I’m sick of arguing and you can think what you want to think but to really question your thoughts why if he doesn’t perform in one more game he should be dropped? Why this time next week when the practice game is done. If he shits the bed what makes him warrant any selection in that side? We don’t owe him a spot in the side and definitely not at the expense of our Ashes hopes. He is not in the form or in my opinion the head space to help us do so. He needs to go get some confidence some place else and find happiness in cricket again cause he does not look to enjoy it out on that field anymore. Love the bloke but he can’t keep serving up crap and getting away with it is all I’m saying.

great arguing with you but we can’t keep arguing forever so let’s call it quits here.

As a matter of a fact I think we have gotten quite off topic of what the main point is. It’s a performance industry and the team should be picked off performance. Richardson and Neser are in better form thus Starc should not be picked (arguably Richardson is just straight up better than what Starc is). Don’t bring up previous bullshit cause the most previous thing you can pull out your ass is the 15 wickets he took in 2020 and 2021 so far. If you want to start talking about the different levels go back to April in the Sheffield final where Starc took 1 wicket

Nesser has two wickets and five runs this summer and one badly injured hammy. He’s not in form.

One name to monitor is Ben McDermott. He's been in solid form for over 12 months now in the longer format. Admittedly, he hasn't been keeping much (But that's to be expected with Paine & Wade playing for Tasmania). He's not absolutely kicking the door down, but he's plugging along. If he can start converting a few big scores he'll be right in the frame.

2020-21 - 14 innings, 583 runs, 5x 50's, 3x 40's, 48.58 avg.

I'd say at present, the ones to keep on an eye on are:

1. Ward
2. Hunt
3. Patterson
4. McDermott
5. Phillippe
6. Silk
7. Peirson/Inglis
8. Neil-Smith
9. Richarson
10. Steketee
11. Sangha / Kuhnemann

12. Kerr (I know it is only one game but man, I was VERY impressed)

I'd say at present, the ones to keep on an eye on are:

1. Ward
2. Hunt
3. Patterson
4. McDermott
5. Phillippe
6. Silk
7. Peirson/Inglis
8. Neil-Smith
9. Richarson
10. Steketee
11. Sangha / Kuhnemann

12. Kerr (I know it is only one game but man, I was VERY impressed)
Who is kerr? Miranda? She is very impressive but I didn't know she played cricket

Alex Carey in Sheffield Shield this season - 21.9 avg (1x 50)
Alex Carey in Marsh Cup this season - 82.0 avg (2x 100's)

I wonder which format of cricket he's better in.

Still don't think he's the best option for the Ashes.

Alex Carey in Sheffield Shield this season - 21.9 avg (1x 50)
Alex Carey in Marsh Cup this season - 82.0 avg (2x 100's)

I wonder which format of cricket he's better in.

Still don't think he's the best option for the Ashes.
I agree but the only format of cricket we’ve got from Inglis without dating back 12 months is white ball cricket as well

I agree but the only format of cricket we’ve got from Inglis without dating back 12 months is white ball cricket as well

Inglis shouldn't even be in the conversation, but he is. The debate should be Carey or Peirson.

Australia expecting/preparing not to be able to play Wednesday because of rain. Had a centre wicket practice yesterday.

Australia expecting/preparing not to be able to play Wednesday because of rain. Had a centre wicket practice yesterday.

Man they are going into the biggest test series around with likely half of the team so underdone it isn't funny.

Ready to go:
Head
Green
Laboosh
Khawaja (No guarantee to play)
Richardson (unlikely to be chosen)

Sort of on the rare side of might not be totally underdone but just about:
Lyon
Harris
Carey (if called on but really badly out of form with the red ball)

Totally underdone / not ready at all:
Warner
Smith
Inglis (if called on)
Cummins
Hazlewood
Starc
Swepson

These are the most likely to feature players.

Man they are going into the biggest test series around with likely half of the team so underdone it isn't funny.

Ready to go:
Head
Green
Laboosh
Khawaja (No guarantee to play)
Richardson (unlikely to be chosen)

Sort of on the rare side of might not be totally underdone but just about:
Lyon
Harris
Carey (if called on but really badly out of form with the red ball)

Totally underdone / not ready at all:
Warner
Smith
Inglis (if called on)
Cummins
Hazlewood
Starc
Swepson

These are the most likely to feature players.

As far as having played games to be ready Harris pretty much has a full quota- 10 SS games in the last 12 months, 832 runs.

As far as having played games to be ready Harris pretty much has a full quota- 10 SS games in the last 12 months, 832 runs.

Yes I am aware of that, I just don't think he is in great form. Lyon has also played quite a bit this season, as has Carey but I don't think any of them are going well at all. Lyon certainly has the international record on his side, so no probs whatsoever him getting selected. I've said my piece on Harris and Carey, well he will be the keeper no matter how any of us feel, so just have to deal with it I suppose. Regardless, that's three guys coming in in fairly poor recent form and in Harris's case, a terrible test record thus far.

I wonder at what point this series we re-ignite the debate around why Lyon is still being picked?

Averaging over 70 with the ball in 2 tests this year. The whole Paine circus has probably bought him a few extra tests but I'm relatively confident the Australian public is waking up to the fact that he isn't actually anywhere near as good as he's made out to be.

I wonder at what point this series we re-ignite the debate around why Lyon is still being picked?

Averaging over 70 with the ball in 2 tests this year. The whole Paine circus has probably bought him a few extra tests but I'm relatively confident the Australian public is waking up to the fact that he isn't actually anywhere near as good as he's made out to be.
Is this a troll post?

Is this a troll post?
Not at all. I have been consistently posting about Lyon on here for years.

He's 1 wicket off joining the 400 club. Remarkable achievement and I accept you don't take that many wickets unless you're alright. BUT of the 17 other players in that elusive club, only 1 other has a bowling average of 30+. That bowler is Harbajhan Singh and most Indian fans wouldn't put him near Jadeja, Ashwin or Kumble.

I could put a fairly extensive list of better spin bowlers than Lyon. I think he's of similar ilk to Graeme Swann and Dan Vettori. He deserves to be remembered as a solid bowler but he's far from the goat or any great generational talent.

Not at all. I have been consistently posting about Lyon on here for years.

He's 1 wicket off joining the 400 club. Remarkable achievement and I accept you don't take that many wickets unless you're alright. BUT of the 17 other players in that elusive club, only 1 other has a bowling average of 30+. That bowler is Harbajhan Singh and most Indian fans wouldn't put him near Jadeja, Ashwin or Kumble.

I could put a fairly extensive list of better spin bowlers than Lyon. I think he's of similar ilk to Graeme Swann and Dan Vettori. He deserves to be remembered as a solid bowler but he's far from the goat or any great generational talent.
So when talking about replacing him in the side, you talk about people from other countries, and some who aren't even playing any more.

If you don't think he is in the side, how about comparing to his actual competition, and that narrows that discussion down to Mitch Swepson. How is Swepson a better choice?

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.