At my wits end

FCB BB AKA MB said:
They should at the least make it so no one else can come in once the ball carrier has lost momentum.

Yes, although they should call held as soon as there is no more momentum.

I don't mind gang tackles where they are all involved in the initial contact, but it's as you say the tackles where the defenders come in while a player is held up that I hate. It's usually to wrap up the ball.

Instead, in the situation where they can't tackle, they can still position themselves between the tackled player and the support to prevent the offload.

maybe we need like the nfl where you have like 5/6 refs in the game looking at different aspects.

give the coach 2 chances to check the video ref.

The Rock said:
Lol yeah a bit of an over-exaggeration SB. (Unless it was Preston Campbell and Shane Perry on Danny Wicks...)

2 in a tackle would be annoying to police although I think over time every coach will have it streamlined and structured to ensure only 2 go in the tackle at once and that the tackle will be affective. Would work in general play fine.

But what about the the opposing team has momentum, had just made a break, and you've got a guy running through broken play....how ridiculous is it going to be when you've got defenders hesitating as to whether they should go in for the tackle or not because he is unsure if his team mates are also going to make that tackle.

Communication and structure would work in normal general play but when the opposition is just hitting it up the middle or doing a simple movement out wide, but in broken play when a player makes a break and offloads going everywhere....it's going to be a bit a disaster. Don't think it can work.

Maybe they can have a rule for 3 in the tackle - at least that would prevent 4 players going into a tackle.

Yes, this is my argument everytime this suggestion comes up, furthermore, it makes the sport too technical, not as raw and impulsive in those situations.
I don't have the answer, but one thing I would like to see is the Video ref ruling ONLY on in-goal try incidents, such as checking the grounding of a try. THAT IS IT.

The problem with these suggestions is you are taking the momentum out of tacklers. It would be impossible to police. TC tackles bloke high, Stagg takes the legs, but at that same moment Parker was about to bump bloke down, Parker realizes and can't stop, places a hand on tacklers....is that a 4th player or not? What if Parker was committed and couldn't pull out in time??

Great defense is orsm to watch. I wish they never changed the momentum rule, if 5 players can lift a player and drive him back 6 meters, then well done.

People need to remember the game has forwards and backs. Stop trying to kill off the piggies!!!

Unread

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Tim K
  • Old Mate
  • sooticus
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.