Australia v England Second Test Adelaide

What a genius Smith is for not forcing the follow on [emoji6] good work Australia, our bowlers did us proud today. Cant wait for the 3rd test!

I love this bowling attack, hope it doesn't change for the next 5 years.

Starc can still improve his consistency and Cummins can improve on his length, but they all compliment each other really well, and aren't bad with the bat or in the field either, as a bit of gravy on top.

Just need to get this batting lineup sorted and we'll be the #1 test team for the foreseeable future.

India might have something to say about that given they never play away from home anymore.

India might have something to say about that given they never play away from home anymore.

If they're scared to play outside of Asia, can they really be the best test team in the world? I don't think that's reasonable.

India are the best team, they always beat Bangladesh and Sri Lanka at home

England had 1 good session in prime conditions and everyone was heading for the hills.

It was always the safe decision, in a few ways, based on what England had produced so far.
The amount of angst was ridiculous.

Cannot understand not enforcing the follow on, we had them on the ropes. Silly decision by Smith.

I said it at the time and I stand by it, not enforcing the follow on was a massive mistake. Questions need to be asked.

England well I’m front. If Smith is going to continue to make stupid calls like this someone needs to help him with his decision making.

Haha fair dinkum mate. What is it with you and Steve Smith? Did he cut you off in traffic or something? It sounds personal with you.

Ever since Mark Taylor, Australian captains have rarely enforced the follow-on. Waugh hardly ever did, same with Ponting. Not sure why Smith is coming under fire. It's probably what he's conditioned to.

Your bowlers are the most important consideration whether you like it or not. You could be biting off more than you can chew asking them to do it again quickly.

Lyon is in great form so having another bat will cause the pitch to wear out more and make him even more lethal.

Good captains also consider the time and weather. There was still heaps of time in the game. England could've dug in and batted for the draw and suddenly the script is flipped and you're the team chasing 200 or so with a day to go.

The only positive I could see in enforcing the follow-on is that the confidence of the English batsmen is shot to bits. They would've hated to go back in but it's funny in cricket how a 'backs to the wall' scenario does produce career saving innings. Root nearly pulled it off and I don't think Cook is far off.

Haha fair dinkum mate. What is it with you and Steve Smith? Did he cut you off in traffic or something? It sounds personal with you.

Ever since Mark Taylor, Australian captains have rarely enforced the follow-on. Waugh hardly ever did, same with Ponting. Not sure why Smith is coming under fire. It's probably what he's conditioned to.

Your bowlers are the most important consideration whether you like it or not. You could be biting off more than you can chew asking them to do it again quickly.

Lyon is in great form so having another bat will cause the pitch to wear out more and make him even more lethal.

Good captains also consider the time and weather. There was still heaps of time in the game. England could've dug in and batted for the draw and suddenly the script is flipped and you're the team chasing 200 or so with a day to go.

The only positive I could see in enforcing the follow-on is that the confidence of the English batsmen is shot to bits. They would've hated to go back in but it's funny in cricket how a 'backs to the wall' scenario does produce career saving innings. Root nearly pulled it off and I don't think Cook is far off.

Are you serious? I’m a massive fan of Smith. It was only last week I praised him
for his captains knock. I have a issue with the decision and his decision making, doesn’t mean I don’t like him or think he is a great captain. As I said, I just think he needs help with his decision making at this stage of his captaincy.

England lose 6-57 off 134 balls- Hope we get lucky like that for the rest of the series.

Look, I am not the only one who thinks this was a mistake. Greats of the game have questioned the decision, but you whatever. At the end of the day I blame myself for trying to have a discussion with you.

It could have very easily gone the wrong way, the most important and pleasing aspect is Australia's bowlers are the shit. A win is a win, I thought enforcing the follow on was the right choice, and given Australia's batting performance in their second dig and England's early determination in the second innings, I hardly feel I have egg on my face for this position, and no-one else should either.
It was there to win for England, they should have won that game comfortably. Ultimately, the follow on was 50-50 given Aus would either be defending 250 odd or chasing 250 odd, and perhaps it was best left in the hands of the bowlers, though I still think they would have done the job anyway if they put England back in. As long as you win, it's doesnt matter.

On to Perth, and to win the series and set up a white wash.

Last edited:
Look, I am not the only one who thinks this was a mistake. Greats of the game have questioned the decision, but you whatever. At the end of the day I blame myself for trying to have a discussion with you.

I am happy for it to be luck; hope it keeps happening.

It could have very easily gone the wrong way, the most important and pleasing aspect is Australia's bowlers are the shit. A win is a win, I thought enforcing the follow on was the right choice, and given Australia's batting performance in their second dig and England's early determination in the second innings, I hardly feel I have egg on my face for this position, and no-one else should either.
It was there to win for England, they should have won that game comfortably. Ultimately, the follow on was 50-50 given Aus would either be defending 250 odd or chasing 250 odd, and perhaps it was best left in the hands of the bowlers, though I still think they would have done the job anyway if they put England back in. As long as you win, it's doesnt matter.

Absolutely holdzy, no one has egg on their face for that opinion but the reaction was over the top. The decision was never a bad one.
Given the stats that 1910 posted ( only 30 300 run plus chases in test history ), the quality of our bowlers, the lack of experience in Australian conditions for some of their batsmen and the scoreboard pressure, I never felt England would push for a win.
Sure they had a dig for a bit but that has to be expected and overcome if we are good enough.

What decision can't go wrong?

Absolutely holdzy, no one has egg on their face for that opinion but the reaction was over the top. The decision was never a bad one.
Given the stats that 1910 posted ( only 30 300 run plus chases in test history ), the quality of our bowlers, the lack of experience in Australian conditions for some of their batsmen and the scoreboard pressure, I never felt England would push for a win.
Sure they had a dig for a bit but that has to be expected and overcome if we are good enough.

That Test was number 2285 and a chase that big has happened 30 times. They're pretty good odds and people are in a panic at 0/30.

That Test was number 2285 and a chase that big has happened 30 times. They're pretty good odds and people are in a panic at 0/30.

Interested that you waited until the game was won to come in with your 'Told you so's'. If we are so stupid to be 'panicked' I'm surprised you weren't on here telling us that when the game was in the balance...

Interested that you waited until the game was won to come in with your 'Told you so's'. If we are so stupid to be 'panicked' I'm surprised you weren't on here telling us that when the game was in the balance...
To be fair, not many people were saying, “What a shit decision” when he actually declared though.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Battler
  • The Don
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Midean
  • ezpz
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Gympie devil
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • westy316
  • marw
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.