Australia v South Africa

The treatment of Sayers by the selectors has been criminal. Swings the ball, takes a bag full of wickets. Not saying he deserves to be there in front of Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins, but he deserves to be next in line. Bird is bog average.

Kumar’s ball last night to get rid of AB was a thing of beauty.

Outswing to get him moving to the off-side then in swing to get through him.

Interesting the tails are struggling so much in this series. If they keep producing these pitches that are terrific then the Australian tail will need to be on.

India's bottom five batsmen average 15.85 South Africa's bottom five average of 13.55.

In 2017 across Test cricket av 20. So fair way from average.

SA are producing the opposite of what we are doing. In 2000 world wide 29 runs per wicket while in Australia 27.

Now the world average is 33 and in Australia 38.

The treatment of Sayers by the selectors has been criminal. Swings the ball, takes a bag full of wickets. Not saying he deserves to be there in front of Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins, but he deserves to be next in line. Bird is bog average.

I would never say 25 wickets in 4 games at 16 is average. He’s the form quick of the SS.

Handscomb 0 and 114no- match winning 100.
Bancroft 38 and 13.
Bird 0/44 and 1/41 and busted hammy.
Marsh 8 and 14 with 4/50 and 0/34.
S.Marsh 29 and 39.
Lyon 3/59 and 1/15
Richardson 1/30 and 0/55
Holland 0/78 and 1/57

Sayers in line for SA now didn't fare too well 0/135. Worrall was swinging it beautifully and Winter 5/85 on debut out bowled him. His yearly figures aren't looking flash for the first time in years 17 from five game at 32.

Think we just go with the same XI as the last couple of Ashes games to begin with in SA, but Bancroft needs a score in his first game or I'd be dropping him for Burns or Handscomb quick smart.

Given Renshaw and Burns are not in the test squad (nor Maxwell who really should be), if Bancroft struggles (which given how scared he looked against England's medium pace plodders, has me fearing for his safety in SA), who gets bumped up - Khawaja or SMarsh?

Warm-up game against South Africa A about to start.

Australia XI:

Cameron Bancroft
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb
Steve Smith (c)
Shaun Marsh
Mitchell Marsh
Tim Paine (wk)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

South Africa A all out for 220 - Cummins 4/32, Hazlewood 3/40, M.Marsh 2/50, Starc 1/37, Lyon 0/45

Australia currently 87/3 - Smith 23, Khawaja 22, Bancroft 24*, Handscomb 0

Peter not doing his chances any good..

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...th-warner-starc-cummins-lyon-marsh/2018-02-28

Australia will field an unchanged XI for the first Test against South Africa from the one that crushed England by an innings at the SCG in the final act of the Magellan Ashes.

Australia's menacing pace attack have come through intense practice and a three-day tour game in Benoni unscathed to unite for the fifth time in Tests, while vice-captain David Warner appears to have transitioned smoothly into Test match mode having spent less than a week in South Africa after leading the T20 unit to tri-series glory in New Zealand.

Australia XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

How do they know Warner has 'transitioned smoothly into Test match mode' without playing the tour game and having only been there less than a week?

On a kind of related note, if you were taking a squad of 15 to a 20/20 WC,

I'd go:

1. Warner
2. Short
3. Lynn
4. Smith
5. Finch
6. Maxwell
7. Stoinis
8. Agar
9. Tye
10. Starc
11. Stanlake

12. Richardson
13. Khawaja
14. Carey
15. Swepson

I am sure I've forgotten some important players but my biggest question mark, is if you put Smith back into that side, where does your keeper go??

Oh my gosh, Davey. Why oh why. Last ball before lunch.

Need one of the Marsh boys to score a big one here.

Active Now

• rj9
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morepudding
  • Bish
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • ezpz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.