Australia vs India Discussion

Renshaw's problem is timing. He has started the last two seasons so poorly he misses the jump and then struggles to get it back.

804 runs last year is a good season but took him until round five to crack a 50.

First five rounds 99 runs from 9 bats.
Second five rounds 706 from 12 bats.

This year three matches 140 runs at 23.

I thought coming off his huge county year he would start the season well but he's struggled.

According to Paine, it'll likely be Harris & Finch opening. He also said that M.Marsh has the 6 spot at the moment, but if the conditions indicate that they'll only need their 4 front line bowlers, they could play all 6 batsmen instead.

I still think we need Handscomb at 4, otherwise we're going to be going in to the series with a left handed opener, and left handers at 3, 4 & 5. That'll be far too easy for the Indian bowlers.

My first Test side -

1. Finch
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. S.Marsh / Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

S.Marsh is not a maybe, he’s second bat picked after Khawaja unfortunately.

So assuming that Smith comes back in for Smarsh who will probably (should) retire after his ban is up, we're going to go to England with:
1. Warner
2. Bancroft
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. MMarsh

Another away series loss to England, shame.

EDIT: We're seeing the dawn of a new golden boy in Head. He's done absolutely nothing to justify the undying love he's receiving from the selectors - he may as well be the Marshes long lost brother.

As an aside, did anyone see JL's press conference the other day? The guy is on another planet, like he's more out of it than Freddy.

Last edited:
So assuming that Smith comes back in for Smarsh who will probably (should) retire after his ban is up, we're going to go to England with:
1. Warner
2. Bancroft
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. MMarsh

Another away series loss to England, shame.

EDIT: We're seeing the dawn of a new golden boy in Head. He's done absolutely nothing to justify the undying love he's receiving from the selectors - he may as well be the Marshes long lost brother.

As an aside, did anyone see JL's press conference the other day? The guy is on another planet, like he's more out of it than Freddy.

Head has been pretty consistent for SA. He hasn't had a below 500 season since 2012/2013.

738 av 46
645 av 43 plus a tough 137no in the Shield final.
721 av 36
641 av 37

He's played two Tests for one 50 not sure how he's done nothing?

Harris - 2
Finch - 50
Handscomb - 70*

Finch & Handscomb should've secured their spots with those digs. Still not sold on Harris.

I wouldn't be against going with this for the first test, it's probably the best mixture of form & experience we've got -

1. S.Marsh
2. Finch
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Finch & Handscomb should've secured their spots with those digs. Still not sold on Harris.

I wouldn't be against going with this for the first test, it's probably the best mixture of form & experience we've got -

1. S.Marsh
2. Finch
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
This truly is a dark time for Australian Cricket.

1. S.Marsh
2. Finch
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
That top 7 is excruciatingly horrid but probably the best options going round atm. The bowlers will have to fire this summer and I am confident they will and I am still tipping the Aussies to win the Test series.

Two guys should be there who aren't and would make it look instantly stronger in the batting - Wade and Burns.

I watched Harris warm up yesterday and have a quick net before play. I have watched him before but took an extra interest yesterday. His set up and action are easily repeatable and he has organised footwork. Then he came unstuck chasing Feldman so that was the end of that. There is a little bit of Warner in his aggression.

He’s averaged over 40 the two years since his move and is massive so far this year.

I always take the Final as bit of an unofficial Test and his Shield Final form is impeccable- 2014/2015- 81 and 158* MOTM in a losing side for WA then backs it up 2016/2017 120 against Sayers, Mennie, Worrell and Zampa. (21 second dig) that’s 380 runs in two finals.

It’s a wrap for Victoria and McDonald that he produced such consistent summers since moving. I hope he plays next week.

Doesn’t look like much cricket will be played today [emoji30]

Another 50 for Handscomb, gotta be in the team. Form batsman right now. Good 50 for Harris as well.

Nice of the Vic opener to bag a pair to give Finch a go at opening

Bit disappointed, I was looking forward to watching him bat, they're calling him the next Sachin.

Handscomb will be missing out on the first test team according to 7 news.

1. Harris
2. Finch
3. Khawaja
4. S.Marsh
5. Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Expected team.

Last edited:
This would be better:

1. Burns
2. Finch
3. Khawaja
4. S.Marsh
5. Head/Maxwell
6. Wade
7. Cummins
8. Starc
9. J.Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Organix
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.