Australia vs New Zealand

Good!! I love seeing players choose the islands, the only way international league will improve.

Have you watched a roosters game? Cordners form this year has been average

Are you serious? Guy has been playing great. Doing heaps of work and making up for the lack of involvement by SBW.

Agree to disagree on this one

Last edited:
Are you serious? Guy has been playing great. Doing heaps of work and making up for the lack of involvement by SBW.

Absolutely, we will have to disagree on this one

[MENTION=1763]Dave[/MENTION]Ric1: Hearing @SamThaiday is out of the @Kangaroos team

Aubusson has been better than Cordner. But they both have easier jobs when running off Pearce's forward passes.

Thiaday is out and Gillett has been called up to debut.

Congrats Matty well deserved selection and good luck

Matt Gillett thoroughly deserves his jersey, despite what some people here might think. I just hope he comes out unscathed from this nothing game...

At the risk of sounding like a defensive child I don't find this a nothing game.

Playing at international level and representing your country is a massive honour and the players from both sides will have plenty of motivation. We will need to turn up on the day as New Zealanders are fighters and are always willing for a challenge. I do agree that the Kiwi team is under strength and ill be shocked if they win but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm.

Go Kangaroos

Historically, when a team was so far behind in a series as to make a series victory impossible, the team's physio would be made the scape goat.
In older times, this was accompanied by a ritual sacrifice of the physio, or "rubber", and hence the term dead-rubber.

Or something like that...

A rubber is 'a contest consisting of a series of successive matches (typically three or five) between the same sides or people in cricket, tennis, and other games'. It is also another term for a condom.

Dead rubber obviously just means it's a dead match/tie, in that the result is meaningless.

Am I the only one who thinks the Fiji Samoa game might be a better watch ?
Of course it's always great watching us play the kiwis but with the NZ squad I can't see them putting up too much of a fight.

Also should be awesome seeing Milford at 5/8 for maroons, give abit of insight into next year !

Yeah, I'm aware of its colloquial meaning, just interested in the etymology more so. Phrase origins are surprisingly interesting, for instance, the true meaning of the following sentence is much more interesting than what I am colloquially communicating:

I'm balls to the wall​ for bandying about strange expressions, and at one fell swoop I have bitten the bullet and included so many of them that I fear receiving the cold shoulder​ for beating around the bush and pulling out all the stops to go haywire in an etymological wild goose chase. I'm not taking the piss for a flash in the pan topic, but I'm beginning to get cold feet after chancing my arm and now realise I'm between a rock and hard place as I'm completely off topic and don't want to get anyone's goat any further.

If you aren't aware of the true historical origins of some of these phrases, look em up, I guarantee it will be more interesting than any Mickey Mouse TV show on tonight.

One to get you started, @Nashy might know this one:

"Balls to the wall"
Meaning: Pushed to the limit.
Origin: It derives from aviation. The ‘balls’ sat on top of the levers controlling the throttle and fuel mixtures. Pushing them forward toward the front wall of the cockpit made the plane go faster.

"Take the piss"
Meaning: To ridicule someone.
Origin: One of the least desirable jobs was to collect human urine for the cloth-dying industry. Anyone in this line of work would be inclined to lie about what they did for a living. Anyone suspecting the truth might ask if he was, in actual fact, ‘taking the piss’.

Again, I truly do apologise for derailing, maybe this could all be moved to an appropriate thread... I had fun anyway.

Some example references:
The Surprising Origins Of 35 English Phrases
Etymology (Word Origins) > Interesting phrase histories
https://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/surprising-origins-of-everyday-phrases-2395118.html

Informative .......and yet mind numbingly boring.

Kudos to you ! :wink:

To bring this thread back on topic, congratulations to my main man a Brent Tate for at least getting some of the respect he deserves. He was named as 18th man today when Sam (was?) pulled out due to injury.

Knowing Tatey, he'll be peeling those oranges in record time, being the eternal competitor that he is!

Lets hope he doesn't slip on a peel and do his knee.

Josh Morris. WTF

Hayne is out and he would've been an automatic. Hodges has only played 3 games and looked far from his best in all of them (I thought he sucked last Friday) and I think Jennings is unavailable as well.

I've seen a fair few Bulldogs matches this year and Morris has been very strong for them and has scored some bullocking tries by going over defenders and has proven himself at rep level and is a better centre than Tate. I find Tate to be to much off a ball hog and like him better on the wing.

I wonder who comes into the starting line-up with Thaiday out? Cordner? Myles? Parker? Gillett?

My guess is probably Cordner, so it doesn't mess up the prop / back-rower rotations.

On Tate, I heard he's been named as 18th man. Who in the backs is most likely to be busted? I'm thinking it's Slater. Maybe Boyd.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.