Australian Cricket Team admit to ball tampering

People come up with stupid ideas all the time in dressing rooms or under pressure. You can't have leaders just sitting there saying good idea.

How many times do you think a player has said to Bennett in the dressingroom I am going to do this.....does he say yep cool do it.

You're there to control the ideas and stupidity not join it. That's why I think it's just as bad.

It's like a teacher going along with the kids- Ummm didn't think to be the voice of reason?

Totally agree.

I've been out of the cricket loop for some years, but this is simply unacceptable behaviour.

Smith, Warner, Lehmann.....all should be sacked and banned from representing our country, ever again.

Making the right judgement calls under pressure is what being a good leader is all about. To cohesively make the decision to cheat as well as being stupid enough to think no-one would notice and they'd get away with it, represents a level of dysfunction within this side that's quite startling.

Cut the cancer out and start rebuilding a side.

Totally agree.

I've been out of the cricket loop for some years, but this is simply unacceptable behaviour.

Smith, Warner, Lehmann.....all should be sacked and banned from representing our country, ever again.

Making the right judgement calls under pressure is what being a good leader is all about. To cohesively make the decision to cheat as well as being stupid enough to think no-one would notice and they'd get away with it, represents a level of dysfunction within this side that's quite startling.

Cut the cancer out and start rebuilding a side.

Absolutely! The fact is, this has been a long time in coming and maybe heads from the top down will roll. If that happens, there will be short to mid-term pain but that’s ok, it needs to happen. It’s needed to happen since the Quiney, etc years.

Tim Paine seems to be an odd choice to be the new Test captain (unless he has only been appointed for the 4th test), as his position may not be 100% secure

Tim Paine seems to be an odd choice to be the new Test captain (unless he has only been appointed for the 4th test), as his position may not be 100% secure

Aside from the bowlers, he is the most secure out of everyone else. The whole top six (with the exception of MMarsh surprisingly enough) need to be replaced either because of stupidity or being woefully out of form.

You can’t choose a paceman because they break down all the time so it is either Paine or Lyon by default.

I'm getting the feeling that Cricket Australia are going to try and manage this.

Sending them home from tour is a strong public reaction as a start but then will come the investigation which probably will take months. By this time the furor will have dissipated. Then we will get a finding which I think will be 6 month suspension, backdated to the offence and only involves minimal lost cricket time.

As I have said before cricket boards around the world have tolerated poor behavior for too long and have set the bar low with their inaction.

The players have a fair argument that the difference between accepted ball tampering judgments and what has been mooted is too sever.

I think it fair enough that the ACB set their own standards but is it ok when for years they have failed to be proactive and now there is a massive public outcry, they react.

How culpable is the ACB in allowing the players to get to this point ? .

It smacks of administrators covering their own bums and saving their highly paid jobs.

None of this is to say the guilty players should get off lightly but IMO the clean out should be far reaching including at the least the coach and high performance manager Pat Howard because this problem has started from the top.

Sending them home from tour is a strong public reaction as a start but then will come the investigation which probably will take months. By this time the furor will have dissipated. Then we will get a finding which I think will be 6 month suspension, backdated to the offence and only involves minimal lost cricket time.

Sutherland said the investigation will be concluded by today and the sanctions will be known within 24 hours, there's no scenario they delay it by months.

Good to know :superhappythumbsup:

I'm not sure how though. He said he hadn't spoken to the 3 players as of today and they are on their way back from SA according to reports.
He also used the words due process in other pressers, so, how does he achieve due process without talking to the players and the players being represented ( if they choose ) properly.

Last edited:
Good to know :superhappythumbsup:

I'm not sure how though. He said he hadn't spoken to the 3 players as of today and they are on their way back from SA according to reports.
He also used the words due process in other pressers, so, how does he achieve due process without talking to the players and the players being represented ( if they choose ) properly.
He doesn't have to, the head of integrity has conducted interviews, in the presence of ICC officials, so any penalties should be already determined I suspect

He doesn't have to, the head of integrity has conducted interviews, in the presence of ICC officials, so any penalties should be already determined I suspect

How do the players get representation or does that not matter.
No way would I be interviewed by anyone, with that amount of money and future earnings at stake, without representation
or due process being followed. Anyone that agrees to that is an idiot.

How do the players get representation or does that not matter.
No way would I be interviewed by anyone, with that amount of money and future earnings at stake, without representation
or due process being followed. Anyone that agrees to that is an idiot.

What could representation possibly achieve? There's 200 cameras that can zoom in in HD that saw everything and they admitted everything in a press conference.

Yep CA showed yesterday by not sanctioning Lehmann AT ALL that they are already trying to manage it. Warner is exciting, Smith is marketable and therefore, the backdated suspension sounds exactly what they will do. Bancroft is expendable though, so they may well make an example of him.

Plus the admission during the presser.
Dickheads get (or lose) everything their due

None of this is to say the guilty players should get off lightly but IMO the clean out should be far reaching including at the least the coach and high performance manager Pat Howard because this problem has started from the top.

Yes

12 months for Smith and Warner. 9 months for Bancroft.

Can't stand The Project back in Aus but seeing Gilly's raw reaction is refreshing:

Don't see why Bancroft got 9 months, according to recent reports it was him & Warner who concocted the idea and Smith came in late and allowed it. Should've been 12 months for all of them.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • blacknwhite
  • Horseheadsup
  • ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.