Australian Cricket Team admit to ball tampering

Are you serious? Atherton got done for dirt in his pocket at Lords 24 years ago, Tendulkar, Afridi, Faf they've all been done. It's been going on for a long time. Bottle tops, long finger nails, zippers, spikes on shoes and lollies it's all been used.
I understand that it's happened on the past.... That is not what I was asking. I meant I wonder if teams recently have used these tactics

I understand that it's happened on the past.... That is not what I was asking. I meant I wonder if teams recently have used these tactics

Faf got done in Hobart 18 months ago.
Philander too- dug his fingers into the seam in 2014.

Yes using a lollie. Pretty harmless compared to Australias case. Never mind

The rules say nothing artificial can touch the ball and change the condition of the ball. It all breaks the same rule. It's not harmless- England won the Ashes because sugar swings the ball.

law 41.3.2 states:
It is an offence for any player to take any action which changes the condition of the ball.​

The rules say nothing artificial can touch the ball and change the condition of the ball. It all breaks the same rule. It's not harmless- England won the Ashes because sugar swings the ball.

law 41.3.2 states:
It is an offence for any player to take any action which changes the condition of the ball.​
What was his punishment? 100%match fee and a one test ban?
Wasn't it Australia that won the ashes using sugar?

Last edited:

law 41.3.2 states:

You have had a change of heart. You argued ardently that he did nothing wrong at the time of that incident.

https://broncoshq.com/threads/third-test-australia-v-south-africa.30795/page-4

You have had a change of heart. You argued ardently that he did nothing wrong at the time of that incident.

https://broncoshq.com/threads/third-test-australia-v-south-africa.30795/page-4

Probably have a little bit. I am always harsher on my own teams. Maybe if they'd dealt more harshly with the lollies etc then the weekend doesn't happen.

I remember a Final a few years ago and Mick Lewis dragged the ball along the gutter to scratch it and scuff it up. He was only fined 50%. Concrete would be similar to a bit of sticky tape.

Easy to look back now and say should have been harsher. I didn't think it'd get to this for an Australian team.

Looking something like this for the fourth test:

1. Burns
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Handscomb
5. S.Marsh
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine
10. Lyon

A lot of talk that one or two of the pacemen are 'red lining', read into that what you will. Highly likely that one or two of Richardson and / or Sayers will debut.

Lol red lining.

So a way to drop a player without dropping a player

I have no doubt this kind of thing has happened a lot, even going back to when the former greats were playing for Australia. Sometimes winning the honorable way just isn't an option.

In saying that, anyone that does it should be banned for 12 months.

I have no doubt this kind of thing has happened a lot, even going back to when the former greats were playing for Australia. Sometimes winning the honorable way just isn't an option.

In saying that, anyone that does it should be banned for 12 months.

If the governing body treats it like a misdemeanor can the different countries treat it that harshly? If the NRL give a player a week for tripping would the Broncos say have 16 weeks off.

I guess Aus Cricket fans hold their team to far greater standards to the rest of the world.

Shame it's taken this for that to happen. They've behaved appallingly at times for no reaction. I have my doubt that the rest of the world will follow.

Interesting comment from Faf today that a new ball will reverse if you damage it with iron or metal .
How would you know such information unless you have experimented with that idea and why would you experiment with different ways off damaging a ball unless you intended to use such methods yourself.
It would appear that ball tampering is so ingrained in all cricket cultures that these guys don't realise the implications of seemingly innocent comments.

Interesting comment from Faf today that a new ball will reverse if you damage it with iron or metal .
How would you know such information unless you have experimented with that idea and why would you experiment with different ways off damaging a ball unless you intended to use such methods yourself.
It would appear that ball tampering is so ingrained in all cricket cultures that these guys don't realise the implications of seemingly innocent comments.

That's why I think they've misread the situation. For a long time it's been oh silly scamp the dark arts of bowling scratched it on concrete, scratched it with a bottle top. Sit out a game.

Bowlers share these secrets like they are passing on family recipes. The best gum to use the amount of sugar you need in the lolly.

Now it's gone from tsk tsk to life bans. I don't think they saw that coming. They misread the pub test.

That's why I think they've misread the situation. For a long time it's been oh silly scamp the dark arts of bowling scratched it on concrete, scratched it with a bottle top. Sit out a game.

Bowlers share these secrets like they are passing on family recipes. The best gum to use the amount of sugar you need in the lolly.

Now it's gone from tsk tsk to life bans. I don't think they saw that coming. They misread the pub test.

This is a good point but can you blame them? After another day's coverage I'm genuinely puzzled about how indignant cricket fans, the general public and the sporting public are about this situation.

Let's put things in perspective: They tampered with a ball in a test match they got smashed in. It wasn't match fixing. No one is guilty of doping.

Consider a few examples closer to home: Is it any different to say how Justin Hodges used to drop the ball after strolling out of dummy half to entice the ref to give a penalty?

Or how some NRL players deliberately take a dive and fall over after they've been fooled by a decoy? Isn't that cheating or is it 'gamesmanship'?

Melbourne making a mockery of the HIA laws?

Soccer players taking dives to get free kicks?

Some of the biggest players in our game have become legends because they tacitly understand you get away with more in Origin.

When it comes to professional sport, whatever is in the 'spirit of the game' is a very distant second to winning. The Australian public are very naïve if they think otherwise.

Active Now

• Horseheadsup
  • IceWorks
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Volvo Driver
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Spooky1013
  • winslow_wong
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Justwin
  • Ondi
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mustafur
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • The Don
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.