Australian Cricket Team admit to ball tampering

He wasn't there to face a trial by media. He apologized for his actions and that was sufficient.
Surely he owes the public an explanation. Saying sorry is one thing but there's more to it than that.

Surely he owes the public an explanation. Saying sorry is one thing but there's more to it than that.
He owes us nothing. He has already accepted an over the top penalty for a very minor infraction. Time to move on.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of cricket these days, lost me a few years ago because there is way too many nothing games due to the 20/20. But, the media has been ridiculous with this whole ball tampering. They cheated so ban them for a war (or more I think!). Of course they deserve punishment and suspensions but the media has treated them like they murdered someone on the field. The media yelling and demanding answers. What's he going to say? So they yelled at him because they didn't get the answers they wanted.. Why is yelling at him in a press conference like a child going to change that.
This and the lodge stuff has really highlighted to me how aggressive and childish Australian sports media has become. It is now at the English level (pre news of the world controversy). Trial by media is alive and well in this country

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of cricket these days, lost me a few years ago because there is way too many nothing games due to the 20/20. But, the media has been ridiculous with this whole ball tampering. They cheated so ban them for a war (or more I think!). Of course they deserve punishment and suspensions but the media has treated them like they murdered someone on the field. The media yelling and demanding answers. What's he going to say? So they yelled at him because they didn't get the answers they wanted.. Why is yelling at him in a press conference like a child going to change that.
This and the lodge stuff has really highlighted to me how aggressive and childish Australian sports media has become. It is now at the English level (pre news of the world controversy). Trial by media is alive and well in this country

What happened with the question part? I've only seen his statement.

What happened with the question part? I've only seen his statement.
He kept saying the same line over and over again "I take full responsibility..." and a reporter yelled out "you're not answering the question" in a rather aggressive tone when there was no other noise he had to talk over. It was like a child, and he did it twice this reporter. Even the presenters on fox sports were poor. One of them was reading out what the fans commented online (must have been impromptu as it was all live) and one of the emails said "stop trying to make us feel sorry for him.." (they were actually doing the opposite ref) and he literally said "we're not making you do anything sweetheart!". Summed up the media for me. They don't get what they want and they have a little hissy fit. How they treated David smith was a great example. I remember reading articles that brought up his family after the channel 9 contract was signed behind fox's back. They had a hissy fit and hammered the bloke

Yeah just saw it. Look, I think he looked more genuinely sorry than any of the others but it was pretty poor form not to answer the questions. That said, I can completely understand him not doing so, his whole life has just been turned upside down and by all reports, it is very much his own fault for that happening. I guess he doesn't want to be responsible for anyone else going down. He genuinely looked like he wanted to say some other names though when asked.

Anywho, what is done is done, now hopefully the media moves on...after Pat Howard is sacked.

Yeah just saw it. Look, I think he looked more genuinely sorry than any of the others but it was pretty poor form not to answer the questions. That said, I can completely understand him not doing so, his whole life has just been turned upside down and by all reports, it is very much his own fault for that happening. I guess he doesn't want to be responsible for anyone else going down. He genuinely looked like he wanted to say some other names though when asked.

Anywho, what is done is done, now hopefully the media moves on...after Pat Howard is sacked.

Then I'd suggest don't hold a press conference. The whole point of it is to get answers and if you don't want to talk then email out a press release.

It was poorly handled. His advice should have been right they're going to ask you this and this. Let's get ready. Not give him a prepared statement he didn't even write and keep saying the same thing.

If you hold a press conference the media assume they're going to be allowed to ask questions and you're going to give answers. So now instead of things being cleared up they just have more unanswered questions and the issues drags on.

It's like going on Parkinson or Enough Rope and then saying I don't like questions.

Then I'd suggest don't hold a press conference. The whole point of it is to get answers and if you don't want to talk then email out a press release.

It was poorly handled. His advice should have been right they're going to ask you this and this. Let's get ready. Not give him a prepared statement he didn't even write and keep saying the same thing.

If you hold a press conference the media assume they're going to be allowed to ask questions and you're going to give answers. So now instead of things being cleared up they just have more unanswered questions and the issues drags on.

It's like going on Parkinson or Enough Rope and then saying I don't like questions.

Yeah not really sure why you are disagreeing to be honest. I said not answering was poor form but he looked more genuinely apologetic than the others (except Lehmann resigning) and if he wasn’t going to answer today, he won’t be answering. So what’s done is done, no one else will be implicated until biographies are released.

Has anyone heard the rumour of Jarryd Hayne being offered the Australian Captaincy if he jumps codes right away ? [emoji41]

At least this will take away the focus on Lodge
Seems to have just given the media more of a platform to compare the two incidents and question our morals even more so.

Screenshot 20180401 101822 Facebook

Yeah saw this yesterday.
At first I got pissed then I just thought, you poor dumb bitch, you're supposed to be a professional journalist and that is the best you can do to get a published.
It is pathetic to the point I highly doubt it is an original thought.

Can't punish someone thinking how can we prosper from this. He has to sit out and going to England living in London and earning money is hardly punishment.

The ban from Cricket Australia extends to international and domestic cricket, although the trio were still permitted to still play grade cricket at home. It is believed that Cricket Australia would not stand in Smith’s way if he turned out for a county team, with the competition to start on April 13.

It really is the only thing that makes sense.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mick_Hancock
  • cento
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Mustafur
  • Wild Horse
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Maddy
  • Wolfie
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.