Australian Open thread

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Go the Fed! A man who can actually play a proper back hand - one handed. Not this brute force, two hand wielding poofterism from Nadal!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
He wants a Rafa up the jaffa. And if Fed wins then Rafa won't be happy-fa.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Nah, nothing against Federer - I was only stirring because Coxy seems to have something against Nadal.

Rafa & Tsonga are pretty much my two fave tennis players in the world - so of course I'd prefer Rafa to win tomorrow night. Federer, however, is a deadset legend and also great to watch. So, I won't be upset if Fed wins, but I'd like to see Nadal take it out.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Last year Nadal played an epic semi final and lost to Youzhny in the final 6-0 6-1. Given that this is on hardcourts, a similar sort of scoreline wouldn't completely shock me. Mick, you should get on Fed 6-0 in the sets again ;)

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Sheesh, I hope we don't get a repeat of this one-sided crap in the men's final!

Serena Williams just minutes away from winning the "female" final.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
How does fit into the arena given the size of her head?

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Sheesh I am peeved at Ch7. They show every night session for 2 weeks on delay into Brisbane, so I get home a 7.30 ready to settle in the watch the final and Whatha? They showed it live, so I got to see a full 3 games of the match. (Not that it seems like it was that good of a match to watch). I'll make sure I'm here for 6.30pm tomorrow.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
In spite of all the dislike for the Williams sisters, I'm not one of the haters and I think she handled herself really well tonight. No over the top celebrations which would have been totally obnoxious after winning so easily, she just looked genuinely happy and pretty relaxed. They had issues earlier in their careers but I think they've both grown up and now win and lose well.

I also don't really get all the "man" comments. Apart from the arms, IMO she's got one of the more feminine looking bodies on the tour [icon_shru

N

NPK

QCup Player
Mar 10, 2008
That's why I think women's Grand Slam finals (and probably semis too) should be best of 5 sets.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I agree Schmix. I like Serena - still a little undecided on Venus. In fact Serena has always been one of my fave players since they came onto the pro tour. Good on her - 10 Grand Slam Titles AWESOME. Although I would have thought after so many she'd give a better victory acceptance speech, but oh well it was still fun and she is always so genuinely happy when she wins - it would be easy to be a bit ho-hum after so many.

Still hate to see any final of any sport so one sided.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
NPK said:
That's why I think women's Grand Slam finals (and probably semis too) should be best of 5 sets.

Just make them all best of 5 sets. I see no reason why women should get the same prize money for playing 2 sets less and at a level quite obviously below that of the ATP.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Well it's only the Male Tennis Executives that don't think the women can physically handle playing best of 5 sets. I have heard most of the players over the past few years that they wouldn't have a problem playing best of 5s.

Oh and I've seen plently of mens matches that aren't up to the same standard as most women's matches as well.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Flutterby said:
Well it's only the Male Tennis Executives that don't think the women can physically handle playing best of 5 sets. I have heard most of the players over the past few years that they wouldn't have a problem playing best of 5s.

Oh and I've seen plently of mens matches that aren't up to the same standard as most women's matches as well.

Yes, but it's far more obvious in the WTA, and more frequent IMO. Tonight was I believe the 10th consecutive Slam final to be decided in 2 sets. Overall the ATP is of a much higher quality IMO. Get anybody to list the best 3-4 matches they can remember and I'm pretty sure most of them would be men's matches.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
God I love watching Fed v Rafa matches. Always such a mental struggle for both of them, great viewing.

Over the moon that Rafa won. Was sad to see Federer so emotional after the match, though - and with good reason. But IMO both men conducted themselves, as ever, really well - great sportsmanship & attitude from both, and the crowd definitely got their money's worth. I'm going to have to get myself to an Aus Open final one of these years....

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Also, with six grand slam titles under his belt at the age of 22, there has been media reports speculating that Nadal could indeed retire with the highest number of gongs when his time comes. Injury and everything else pending, I've got to say it's a damn good point to make. Read that Federer had won just one grand slam at the same age...

Playboy Bunny

Playboy Bunny

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Six is a huge number to have won by 22 years old. I didn't realise it was that many.

Unread

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Redfern_1980
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.