Australian tour of India

Frankly I'd dump Ponting as captain. When has his captaincy been successful in a pressure situation? He lost the 2005 Ashes. He, and his team, crumbled under the off field pressure last year. They crumbled in this series.

They've only done well in series they've absolutely dominated and any idiot could captain.

Give it to Clarke I reckon.

He's clearly the next in line. And at least he seems to have some enthusiasm for captaincy. Ponting just looks grumpy and doesn't seem to have any idea what he's doing (yes, Border was grumpy, but he had a clue).

Clarke will be the next captain and will be a much better captain than Ponting. Clarke has captained a few 20/20 and one day games and he seems to get the most out of his time which a good captain must do. IMO the spat between lee and Ponting was the last straw for Punter he should watch his back because he is on the way out IMO.

Punter is in a tight space IMO.

We are always going to get runs (lolz, except in the last series), but getting 10 wickets an innings is the struggle. No Warnie is a cop-out, the real problem is no strike bowler (who doesn't bleed a million runs).

I really think Ponting has the toughest job out of any Australian captain I have seen for as long as I have been on this earth. The likes of Border, Taylor and Waugh had the luxury of Warne, McGrath, McDermott along with some half decent second options like Fleming, Gillespie, Bichel, even MacGill. And Brett Lee is nowhere near as good as he used to be either.

I don't think a change of captain would make a huge difference.

I've had my doubts about Clarke as skipper but strangely enough I started to became more comfortable with him being next in line after that T20 in Melbourne against India.

Granted it was just a quick game of hit and giggle with no real meaning and cannot be compared to the pressures he'd face being a full time leader in all forms of the game, but his attitude, clever thinking and aggressive nature that we come to expect from Aussie captains was tremendous during that game.

He's also displayed similar qualities in a couple of 50 over matches.

Jebadude said:
I really think Ponting has the toughest job out of any Australian captain I have seen for as long as I have been on this earth. The likes of Border, Taylor and Waugh had the luxury of Warne, McGrath, McDermott along with some half decent second options like Fleming, Gillespie, Bichel, even MacGill. And Brett Lee is nowhere near as good as he used to be either.

Dude, no offence, but I think you need to look at what Border had to go through during his stint.

Greatest Australian Test Captain since Bradman himelf IMO. Bill Lawry, Bob Simpson, Richie Benaud and Ian Chappell may be argeably up there as well.

That aside; what Ponting faces now, is nothing on being forced the Captainship, playing in an era of very strong English and invincible West Indies sides, having your team ripped apart by the emergence of WSC and then waking up to find half your team is deserting on a Rebel SA Tour.

Hammo said:
Jebadude said:

Dude, no offence, but I think you need to look at what Border had to go through during his stint.

Greatest Australian Test Captain since Bradman himelf IMO. Bill Lawry, Bob Simpson, Richie Benaud and Ian Chappell may be argeably up there as well.

That aside; what Ponting faces now, is nothing on being forced the Captainship, playing in an era of very strong English and invincible West Indies sides, having your team ripped apart by the emergence of WSC and then waking up to find half your team is deserting on a Rebel SA Tour.

I think you misunderstood. I am not implying that Border had the easiest job in the world when he was captain, moreso that these days, Ponting doesn't have the cavalry that our previous captains did. Much the same situation as the rebel tour, where Border had an ordinary squad to try and lead to an Ashes victory. Of course, Ricky hasn't got players deserting him for another tournament, but he has much the same sort of squad to work with.

Say what you like about H. Sing but he's a pretty fkn good player. He scored a nice bag of runs this series and took wickets.

gUt said:
Say what you like about H. Sing but he's a pretty fkn good player. He scored a nice bag of runs this series and took wickets.

He seems to save his best for us too, last 4 or 5 years have been pretty average from him, but when he plays us, he's on a different level, certainly got Ponting's number.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Bish
  • mrslong
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • sooticus
  • bazza
  • Strop
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.