NEWS Badel: Boyd never considered quitting

Did up a team list and misspelled just one players name. Instead of discussing the merits of the team, a page of replies was dedicated to saying 'how a fan like me could not even know the name of the players'. Some on here can be real arseholes, esp the senior posters "ffffuuuuuuuuuu:

Hi @Bongo I get what you are saying, but I also get where @Huge is coming from too

You may notice I correct poster grammar too (sometimes) and it is precisely because I am horrified at the state of written communication these days, which has come about from 'letting it slide'

As we continue to turn a blind eye, it can only get worse

I don't correct people to make them feel bad, but to point out the mistakes so they are not made again - perhaps not important here, but if those same mistakes are made on job applications these poor folk are no chance
I am not saying its malicious just counterproductive to point out people's grammatical/spelling mistakes away from a professional environment. I dont think people view it as constructive and all it does is get discussions bogged down in semantics. There are studies about people who become frustrated about grammatical errors and those who look past them. It makes for interesting reading.

The use of grammar is about knowing the rules of writing English not about the value of content. In my view more is achieved by looking past grammatical errors and debating subject matter. Great content can have grammatical errors but grammatically correct content can equally be devoid of substance.

I don't think this forum is the place for corrections. Especially when it is used to counter an argument in a pedantic way. The only way to do it on a forum is publically, which is not ideal.

I am a lawyer but I don't interact in this forum like I do professionally. People want to express opinions here not to be grammatically assessed.

Also, when making a correction the person better be right about it or they can look rather silly.

Last edited:
Did up a team list and misspelled just one players name. Instead of discussing the merits of the team, a page of replies was dedicated to saying 'how a fan like me could not even know the name of the players'. Some on here can be real arseholes, esp the senior posters "ffffuuuuuuuuuu:

When and where did this happen?..

Spelling has never been a measure of passion for rugby league to my knowledge. Must have been a pretty decent team if the spelling was all that was faulted. I can't say the same about teams I have posted.

Hi @Bongo I get what you are saying, but I also get where @Huge is coming from too

You may notice I correct poster grammar too (sometimes) and it is precisely because I am horrified at the state of written communication these days, which has come about from 'letting it slide'

I don't correct people to make them feel bad, but to point out the mistakes so they are not made again - perhaps not important here, but if those same mistakes are made on job applications these poor folk are no chance
I assume you don’t correct people on their use of full-stops... 😂

Last edited:

lol Morkel.

Oh, I thought he was referencing something that happened recently, not nearly 12 months ago lol. Good memory on him I guess!

How did I misinterpret 'supposed' captain? Rhetorical. He was the captain and as far as I'm aware still is. Move on.

Well na.. he said supposed captain..

Please see definition 1.b
Alleged.

He is the supposed captain. The role of a captain is defined and expected to:

Google top definition: Being named a team captain is quite the honor. The position of captain is given to those athletes whom the rest of the team respect and trust to lead the team in the right direction. ... Captains are expected to perform in the clutch and lead the team to victory.

I believe he has failed these duties as a captain and has therefore not inherited the essence of a true leader or captain.

So the original post to me was correct
They were implying Boyd is nothing of a captain and therefore the word supposed was in context and correct.

Wow, I thought I wrote the above. As you practice so you perform. I taught my son the value of writing as well as he was able. If an employer had a choice between two equally qualified candidates and one had vastly superior writing skills to the other then in all likelihood the former would get the job.

It happened today in my workplace, two co workers were discussing something while reading off a computer monitor. One asked a question without expecting a reply and the other answered. The first guy said he wasn't expecting an answer, he was asking a hypothetical question. I remarked 'rhetorical'. What? Rhetorical, you were asking a rhetorical question.

Yes, I was part of the conversation, no I wasn't butting in and I too was looking at the information displayed. The guy suddenly was butthurt. I was being a smartarse because you just cannot be corrected in this day and age, it's always perceived as a put down. Oh, I could have waited, I know. I could have been all sensitive to his butthurt feelings and waited till nobody was around before saying something. Yes, I could have let him continue on, oblivious to his error. He's better armed now though. The butthurt feelings will be his best teacher.

As long as people dont say or write things like "more better", "done good" or "i seen that" i am content.

I can tolerate typos or a few grammer issues (as many posters are using their phones and have sausage fingers).

Well na.. he said supposed captain..

Please see definition 1.b
Alleged.

He is the supposed captain. The role of a captain is defined and expected to:

Google top definition: Being named a team captain is quite the honor. The position of captain is given to those athletes whom the rest of the team respect and trust to lead the team in the right direction. ... Captains are expected to perform in the clutch and lead the team to victory.

I believe he has failed these duties as a captain and has therefore not inherited the essence of a true leader or captain.

So the original post to me was correct
They were implying Boyd is nothing of a captain and therefore the word supposed was in context and correct.
Oh, he was alleging Boyd was the captain? Ffs, for all and sundry I didn't point out a spelling mistake. I pointed out that Boyd was the captain, he is not a supposed captain. What a kerfuffle!! My main point though was it isn't necessary to be derisive in every single post that involves Boyd. SF has made his dislike known, hundreds of times and I guess I was tired of it.

As long as people dont say or write things like "more better", "done good" or "i seen that" i am content.

I can tolerate typos or a few grammer issues (as many posters are using their phones and have sausage fingers).
Ha ha, Kelsey Grammer mistakes?

Ha ha, Kelsey Grammer mistakes?
God damn it! Sausage fingers it tell you!

Nope, i will say sheepishly i just spelt it wrong. **** me, not a time to make a spelling error, knowing full well that huge is lurking about.

Sorry to all pedants in the group, i will banish myself from the forum for the weekend, as a self imposed punishment.

Last edited:
God damn it! Sausage fingers it tell you!

Nope, i will say sheepishly i just spelt it wrong. **** me, not a time to make a spelling error, knowing full well that huge is lurking about.

Sorry to all pedants in the group, i will banish myself from the forum for the weekend, as a self imposed punishment.
I don't care about 99% of the spelling errors on here to be honest. There's dozens every day. Spelling really isn't that big of a deal. The complete absence of punctuation is infuriating at times. Using what's sometimes called a 'big word' incorrectly is worth correcting though as quite often a poster will use it without having a clue or thinking it means something else entirely. We all make spelling mistakes and quite often in my case it's because of fat fingers or not having my glasses handy. I thought you did the grammer thing on purpose like I just did😉

In my view the word supposed can be used to convey doubt in an established fact. In this case to convey doubt that the captain was adequately captaining even though they had the official title.

However, I think Huge was taking issue with the negative statement of supposed being used to take another shot at Boyd rather than the correct or incorrect use of supposed.

So my long diatribe is probably moot and is now firmly into the semantics I suggested that we should avoid.

I agree with Huge that in a professional space there is a need for correcting but I have got on the wrong side of social etiquette when doing it and try to avoids it here because it sucks the fun a bit.

What I respect about Huge that he freely admits if he has got something wrong (e.g. NASA). This is a quality that seems to be diminishing faster than english language skills. For me that makes any sort of alleged grammatical nitpicking 100 times more tolerable.

I will shut up about it all now.

Last edited:
I assume you don’t correct people on their use of full-stops... 😂
Or commas, or overly long sentences. Or just difficult to read paragraphs in general. Dude, I don't mean to offend, but your grammar is not at a level that you should be correcting other people's.

Or commas, or overly long sentences. Or just difficult to read paragraphs in general. Dude, I don't mean to offend, but your grammar is not at a level that you should be correcting other people's.

Hi @Pub Steak,
Is this comment for myself or @JAHHW?
Thank you in advance for providing clarity :)

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Swordfish
  • Scorchie
  • HarryAllan7
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • Spoon
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.