Beale VS Gagai

Well those people would be silly given he virtually had no room down the sideline, he was lucky just to beat the first tackle.

Well those people would be silly given he virtually had no room down the sideline, he was lucky just to beat the first tackle.

He wasn't lucky at all, lucky is the try Wallace was awarded. Credit where it is due ffs!

I thought he took the right option by backing himself against Gardner. It was a bit disappointing that the smaller Gardner was able to push Beale over the line, I expected the opposite...

Gagai may have to do an apprenticeship on the wing, however he is a long term centre option. I said he would finish the year there, though that was before the emergence of Reed and the improvement of Beale. Beale IMO will always be a utility. He may have to more elsewhere if he wants a real crack at at fullback or the centres.

Size isn't everything though Porthoz especially in a situation like that sometimes all you need to do is put pressure on the player and it can come undone, seen some very small players over the years own mid to larger players in that situation.

He wasn't lucky at all, lucky is the try Wallace was awarded. Credit where it is due ffs!

He did well, but he was very fortunate as there was a millimetre between his foot and the sideline.

He had no room after that and Gardner had him well and truly covered. He made the wrong call and hopefully he learns from it.

Size isn't everything though Porthoz especially in a situation like that sometimes all you need to do is put pressure on the player and it can come undone, seen some very small players over the years own mid to larger players in that situation.
I know, it's all about the position you are in at the moment of the collision. Pretty sure Yow Yeh would've sent Gardner flying though...

In the future I can see Gerard Beale taking Reed's centre position and Gagai forcing his way onto the wing.

That's how I would like it to be. To answer another post, I measure talent by the way a player seamlessly combines balance, vision and mental toughness. Lockyer is a perfect example.

Neither Beale nor Gagai have shown much of that yet, only glimpses. Hopefully experience will develop their talent.

Last edited:
I think thats doubtful given how close he was to the touchline as it wouldn't have taken much for any player to get pushed over that close to the line, this wasn't your typical winger linebreak where they have quite a reasonable amount of room to work with before the opposing player gets involved, Beale didn't have that luxury and backed himself, it didn't pay off but he sure came close to achieving it, I don't think you can fault him for doing so.

Yes you can.

He had no room, the only reasonable play was to come back on the inside.

He made the wrong call.

Why would it be a turn over? It was tackle 3.

That's why it was the wrong choice, Beale was a metre away from the sideline when he took on Gardner, the play was to come back on the inside and either he wrong foots Gardner and has a big chance of scoring OR he takes the tackle and we have two plays at their vulnerable defensive line.

Why would it be a turn over? It was tackle 3.

That's why it was the wrong choice, Beale was a metre away from the sideline when he took on Gardner, the play was to come back on the inside and either he wrong foots Gardner and has a big chance of scoring OR he takes the tackle and we have two plays at their vulnerable defensive line.

Sorry Big Pete, I'm withdrawing myself from this discussion this is why you may see I removed my message, just learnt my grandfather is in hospital, would love to continue it but I got more on my mind atm.

No need to apologise man, family is far more important and you have my thoughts and prayers.

Kiwi fan here. Been watching as many Broncos games as I can. I am a big fan of Hoffman and Glenn. I am warming to Beale but don't rate him as highly as Locke or Hoffman.
I saw Gagai play live at at the end of last year for the junior Kangaroos against the junior Kiwis. He was standout player from both teams. Strangely enough Beale played for the junior Kangaroos.
Gagai played fullback in the two tests. He reminded me of when Hayne/Dugan both started out. Lanky looking thing that no one could tackle. He was great on his feet and also had a good passing game.
I read somewhere he is Josh Hoffman's cousin?
Anyone know if he's a kiwi as well?

He is but he's announced he'll represent Queensland.

Can't seem to find it but I recall the sigh of relief.

If it comes up again I'll link you. For my sake I hope it wasn't a dream. :P

In the future I can see Gerard Beale taking Reed's centre position and Gagai forcing his way onto the wing.

Agree probably next year. Reeds defence is better at the moment though. Like both players and would be great to fit them both in. Reed to take hunt's bench spot and gagai onto the wing, beale to centre.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • DrGee
  • Kenny powers
  • Dee
  • Harry Sack
  • Turks85
  • bert_lifts
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • jarro65
  • Howie
  • Gaz
  • Benzie1
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Muros
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.