Beale VS Gagai

Hmmm, first off I find it funny the guy who called Reed s**t at the start of the season is getting all antsy because I don't think Reed has a reasonable future in the centres.

It might seem like I'm baiting, but really I just rate our juniors and feel this season is the best we'll see of Reed as a centre. If those juniors realise their potential, they will take his spot and the way Reed is going, I believe he'll end up in the backrow. And I don't know why people see that as a big deal. A lot of centres have made that transition and in fact my opinion is shared with coaches who have had more to do with him than any of us so really there is no irrationality involved.

Jeba, right back at cha.

You mean the posts you made to cover yourself after being called out for your bull s**t.

Play nicely now, boys and girls.

So at the start of the year when no one knew much about him Rocky called Reed ****? Now coming into the finals and Reed has secured a spot and proven himself, Rocky rates him?

Sounds fair to me, not sure what the problem is.

So at the start of the year when no one knew much about him Rocky called Reed ****? Now coming into the finals and Reed has secured a spot and proven himself, Rocky rates him?

The problem is obvious, Reed is just not fast enough to be a centre.. :rash:

I guarantee you - whoever leaves our backline - Reed, Gagai, Beale, Copley and goes to another club will go great guns and we'll all be like wwaaah, why did we get stuck with this nuff nuff. but it's all by the by, cos Yowie will be the next defector (that's how the salary cap works ya see)

It's just funny how the roles have reversed. Rock was so adament that we needed a backrower there while I was fine with Reed.

I have nothing really more to add to Reed. Unless we're going to continue to attack one another I think this thread is basically done.

I guarantee you - whoever leaves our backline - Reed, Gagai, Beale, Copley and goes to another club will go great guns and we'll all be like wwaaah, why did we get stuck with this nuff nuff. but it's all by the by, cos Yowie will be the next defector (that's how the salary cap works ya see)

Yowie won't go anywhere, Hodges will retire and Yowie will get Hodges money and move into the 3.

Gees... talk about ganging up on one person just cause he has a different opinion.
Big Pete is right in a way as well. The majority of the best centres to ever played the game had speed. The likes of Reg Gasnier, Renouf, Meninga, Inglis, Hodges etc. They all also had a great footwork or fend.
Paul Bowman was a great club man but he was no superstar.
When you have a talent like Gagai on sidelines someone will have to make way. You guys have the next Hodges/David Peachy in Gagai. He'll be a future NZ international or QLD origin star. Hopefully Glenn gets into his ear :p

Roles are reversed? What BS. I said Reed, Beale etc lacked PUNCH due to their inexperience. I was never saying they were permanently and forever sh*t. :rolleyes: And my comments were justified at the time. It was round 4, we WERE lacking punch and our attack was worrying - I was keen on chucking Glenn or Teo in the centres until Reed and Co were ready, as a safe, experienced option to get through the year.

Months later, Reed has improved out of sight and has proved to us that he is a good centre option. Fantastic.

On the other hand, despite Reed proving himself as a quality centre, you've got this absolutely outrages idea that Reed hasn't got the speed to be a long term centre for the team........Totally pulled that out of your anus.

Yes, after you were called out for ridiculously writing them off as s**t. I disagree with the assertion that he's improved 'out of sight' as he was playing some very good football in those rounds. Has he had some better performances? Why yes, but he's also had a few shockers too.

Have you seen some of the breaks Reed has made? He's been chased down quite comfortably and he's just going to get slower. I'm not the only person who has this opinion, the Broncos believe Reed will finish in the backrow.

Speed isn't everything, but it's my biggest issue with him in so many words.

I actually think Reed will end up in the backrow in time, but the idea of moving him to accommodate Gagai and Beale seems dumb to me. Why? Because by moving him to the backrow you take minutes off of Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday, Parker or Teo. And those guys are much better right now than Gagai or Beale.

The argument that in time Reed will be a backrower is fine. The idea that we move him now to accommodate Gagai at the expense of Gillett minutes seems bizarre though.

I agree with Big Pete. In another season or 2 Reed will most certainly struggle to hold his place in the centres. It's a dynamic environment so of course it is all relative and assumes Reed has about reached his performance ceiling. Plenty also depends on Hodges (time off with injury and retirement). Gagai, at this stage, is the long term option.

Either way, it's a great problem for the club to be having. As a side note, does anyone know if he has spent much time in the backrow in QCup?

And that certainly wasn't my idea.

I just believe those two have more talent, whether they act on it is another thing entirely.

I agree with Big Pete. In another season or 2 Reed will most certainly struggle to hold his place in the centres. It's a dynamic environment so of course it is all relative and assumes Reed has about reached his performance ceiling. Plenty also depends on Hodges (time off with injury and retirement). Gagai, at this stage, is the long term option.

Either way, it's a great problem for the club to be having. As a side note, does anyone know if he has spent much time in the backrow in QCup?

Not to my knowledge. He played almost exclusively in the centres last year for Norths. And he was bloody quick when I saw him :P

Darren Smith was awesome in the centres but he wasn't lightning quick. :respect:

/Discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Except Reed has shown all of that - Great foot work, freakish ability to break the line, ability to get the ball to his outside man...the form he is showing at the moment is that of a real quality centre.

What about Steve Matai? Not much speed, but lots of strength, power and great ability to get the ball to his winger.

That's nice to know that all the "great" centres had speed. But what's your point exactly? No one is saying Reed will be the greatest centre of all time, we're saying he has shown enough ability to hold that position for a long time.

Michael De Vere anyone? Definitely not much speed or acceleration but his had all the right attributes to be a good centre.

That is the thing though. Would you prefer De Vere or Renouf? Give me Renouf any day of the week.
Would you rather Inglis or Matai?
Reed is a good player. If anything his form has dropped.

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • Nightwatchman
  • thenry
  • Harry Sack
  • LGH
  • DrGee
  • bert_lifts
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • jarro65
  • Kenny powers
  • Bucking Beads
  • Stix
  • Howie
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.