Beale VS Gagai

M

Marshall_Magic

Banned User
Jul 31, 2011
Big Pete was talking about the future. If Gagai or Beale continue to develop, then switching Reed to the backrow is the logical move. Reed is doing a good job for the time being. When Hodges retires, I am sure you guys want more strike power in the three quarter line.
Anyways can someone explain to me what was so good about Beale's break on the weekend? He got smashed by Gardner. He had no footwork whatsoever.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I don't care about what Little Pete thinks of the future and who will play where. I am just amazed that he thinks Reed will automatically be a **** centre because he's not quick. I think that's what everyone else is upset about as well, and rightly fricken so!!!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't care about what Little Pete thinks of the future and who will play where. I am just amazed that he thinks Reed will automatically be a **** centre because he's not quick. I think that's what everyone else is upset about as well, and rightly fricken so!!!

^^^ This. So this! Sure, he may not be a Renouf or an Inglis, but to suggest he can't be a "long term first grade centre" is absolutely laughable.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I don't disagree with Big Pete about Reed, he may well be right and time will tell, but the way we play our footy ATM Reed is our best option. Griffin, like Bennett and Bellamy base their game on defence and our attack is more suited to getting inside the 20 and finding a way over from there so Reeds speed or lack of it is not a problem, he's doing a great job. He can break the line and or get an offload away to the speed on his outside, he also has the strength to score from close range.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't disagree with Big Pete about Reed, he may well be right and time will tell, but the way we play our footy ATM Reed is our best option. Griffin, like Bennett and Bellamy base their game on defence and our attack is more suited to getting inside the 20 and finding a way over from there so Reeds speed or lack of it is not a problem, he's doing a great job. He can break the line and or get an offload away to the speed on his outside, he also has the strength to score from close range.

See that's what I don't get. Why isn't that enough to be a "long term first grade centre"? Sure, he might not be one of the all time greats, but as far as I'm concerned, an ability to break the line, get an offload away, push over the line from close range with strength and footwork, and a strong defensive capability are all great ingredients for a first grade centre. Sure, if he could run the 100 in 10 seconds, and get from standing to full pace in 3 steps he'd be supreme, but he's hardly slow (as exhibited by his brilliant long range try against Melbourne at Suncorp).

What happens in 1, 2, 5 years time I have no idea. But the Broncos attacking methods would have to change significantly and Gagai/Copley step up 1000% to justify taking him out of the line up.

Let's also not forget Hodges is in the twilight of his career, and it's conceivable he probably only has 2-3 years left in him. Yow Yeh looks potentially a good centre if he works out his defensive reading.

The conundrum for me is what to do about Beale. He's a strong player, but is wing his best position? Probably not. Centre or fullback seems to be more suited to him.

Maybe post-Hodges we're looking at:
Hoffman
Gagai
Reed
Beale
Yow Yeh

Hell, with Hodges' penchant for injuries that may well be a frequent backline next year anyway :P

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
:lol: Fire up Jeba.

Dex, I think Reed is the best option right now.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
The way I read Big Petes comments was not so much a Reed bashing but more along the lines of Gagai developing all those qualities and combined with his speed will make him a better option in the future. Maybe I'm being to kind, but I really doubt Big Pete was trying to be too detrimental

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The way I read Big Petes comments was not so much a Reed bashing but more along the lines of Gagai developing all those qualities and combined with his speed will make him a better option in the future. Maybe I'm being to kind, but I really doubt Big Pete was trying to be too detrimental

Yeah, but I don't see Gagai as a centre option. Nothing about him indicates it to me.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Me either at this stage but I thought he was a complete nuff after his early season form then he played so well Melb and Parra I decided wait before I judge him again.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I was actually referring to Beale in the centres and Gagai on the wing. Hence, in the future I didn't see there being any competition between the two.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I was actually referring to Beale in the centres and Gagai on the wing. Hence, in the future I didn't see there being any competition between the two.

Yeah fair enough. However, I think Hodges will be gone in a couple of years, so I can see room for Beale and Reed in the centres.

M

Marshall_Magic

Banned User
Jul 31, 2011
From what I have seen from your juniors.
These three players are your future

M

Marshall_Magic

Banned User
Jul 31, 2011
You guys also have Jordan Kahu on your books. He is from the same breeding ground as Marshall. Massive talent as well.
I can see him pushing a centre spot in a couple of years. He can play anywhere form fullback to five eighth. He is a quicker version of Karmichael Hunt.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Before Henjak was punted Kahu was tipped to make his debut in Round 1.

However, Ivan received the punt, Hook installed Gagai and then Kahu received a season ending injury. The rest is history.

He's also another contender, as well as Copley and at the risk of sounding like Elia, Yow Yeh could end up there.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I hope for our long-term centre prospects Kahu is quicker than Reed. Otherwise he just has no future there whatsoever.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • jd87
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Froosh
  • Canga
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.