Ben Hannant First Of Broncos Exodus

mal said:
robbie mustoe said:
mal said:
Is that a serious post????

Sure is. He offers very little with the ball apart from the occassional ordinary hit up, making him primarily a defensive player. He is leading the club in ineffective tackles and second behind Wallace in missed tackleas. Hardly quality material.

Now do it in comparison to tackles made.. then give me the numbers

He really doesn't make that many tackles hey. It isn't like he is making as many as he has in previous seasons. In my opinion his form has been terrible this season, one of our worst players. We have no option but to let him go. I would not want to spend more than 80k on him and I even question if he is worth that at the moment.

How can I take your posts seriously, when clearly you are deluded!?

robbie mustoe said:
Stagg who are supposed to be defensive workhorses yet are very ordinary at tackling?

robbie mustoe said:
He really doesn't make that many tackles hey.

307 tackles this year, leading Brisbane's count by 55! Also leading our 1 on 1 tackles by 10 @ 41.
Next person, Hannant (252), Thaiday (219).

On a percentage basis, he misses 10.4% of tackles attempted.
Hannant misses 11.9% of tackles attempted.
Thaiday misses 11.4% of tackles attempted.
Sims misses 13.1% of tackles attempted..

But yeah... doesn't make many tackles, and is a shit tackler.. :roll:

... We are talking about the same Stagg, right?

mal said:

robbie mustoe said:
Stagg who are supposed to be defensive workhorses yet are very ordinary at tackling?

[quote="robbie mustoe":3bin9n3f]He really doesn't make that many tackles hey.

307 tackles this year, leading Brisbane's count by 55!

... We are talking about the same Stagg, right?[/quote:3bin9n3f]

Hannant, Thiaday and Sims are not defensive players. Their tackles are also a lot more high impact than Staggy's.
And an average of 30 tackles a game seems pretty ordinary to me for a defensive workhorse. You also have to consider that he has played an additional game compared to Thiaday and Hannant.

Don't get me wrong, I like Stagg. He obviously puts 100% in every time he runs out for us. It is just too bad he is very very ordinary.

mal

Out of all those stats, how many is he the 1st tackler & how many is he the 2nd tackler in.

The tackle count these days are a rort, as the count is the 1st & 2nd tacklers.

And 3rd. That's why farking flopsgibbon and hindmarsh dominated tackle counts for so many years.

IIRC, Staggy has registered plenty of one-on-one tackles this year. Also wish stats of kick-chase tackles were collected - Stagg's often the first one there after we kick downfield.

Kaz said:
mal

Out of all those stats, how many is he the 1st tackler & how many is he the 2nd tackler in.

I think the fact that he tops 1 on 1 tackles is good enough backup to suggest that his tackle stats would be somewhat justified. Especially considering his 1 on 1 tackles > missed tackles ratio.

I think I've definitely proven my point in relation to robbie mustoes ill-informed opinion of Stagg never tackling, and being a shit tackler.

Which is all my post was ever trying to prove.

If he still thinks Stagg is very very ordinary, based off his defensive effectiveness... and I've just proven him wrong.. then there's little hope for him/her yet.

mal said:
Kaz said:
mal

I think the fact that he tops 1 on 1 tackles is good enough backup to suggest that his tackle stats would be somewhat justified. Especially considering his 1 on 1 tackles > missed tackles ratio.

I think I've definitely proven my point in relation to robbie mustoes ill-informed opinion of Stagg never tackling, and being a shit tackler.

Which is all my post was ever trying to prove.

If he still thinks Stagg is very very ordinary, based off his defensive effectiveness... and I've just proven him wrong.. then there's little hope for him/her yet.

I still disagree. For a defensive player who offers virtually nothing with the ball he is not doing enough in defense to warrant a place in the side at the moment. Making 30 tackles a game, with around 5 being missed or ineffective, and putting in 6 or 7 very average runs simply is not good enough. In past seasons, where he was making more tackles and wasn't missing so many crucial tackles in the middle of the field, I held a different opinion. Personally, I think it is fairly obvious just from watching him this year that his defense is down from past seasons.

Stagg is a bit of a nuffy, yet another Bronco who somehow fell into a Maroons jersey......McGuire anyone?

Even if you forget about all the bad things about Stagg's game, he still is bad for our side. Every time there is an injury anywhere other than in the forwards, they chuck Stagg there! This has to be stopped. And the best way to stop this is to get rid of Stagg...

robbie mustoe said:
mal said:

[quote="robbie mustoe":2np779ww]Stagg who are supposed to be defensive workhorses yet are very ordinary at tackling?

[quote="robbie mustoe":2np779ww]He really doesn't make that many tackles hey.

307 tackles this year, leading Brisbane's count by 55!

... We are talking about the same Stagg, right?[/quote:2np779ww]

Hannant, Thiaday and Sims are not defensive players. Their tackles are also a lot more high impact than Staggy's.
And an average of 30 tackles a game seems pretty ordinary to me for a defensive workhorse. You also have to consider that he has played an additional game compared to Thiaday and Hannant.

Don't get me wrong, I like Stagg. He obviously puts 100% in every time he runs out for us. It is just too bad he is very very ordinary.[/quote:2np779ww]

I strongly agree with this. In the modern game, all the forwards are getting fitter and fitter and I don't think the game needs defensive workhorses like Stagg and Hindmarsh. Players like Fitzgibbon are the most valueable, because they can defend and attack.

And this is why people can't expect loyality from players, especially when they turn on a player within less then a season who has worked hard for the club for a number of seasons. Put his body on the line (including having serious surgery in the process just to get back onto the football field) doing what has been asked of him from his club and getting criticised as if its his fault for playing at 5/8th. I know several more highly rated forwards and not to mention other positions in the squad who escape criticism here because of their reputation who have been just as guilty of underperforming if not more so, but then certain type of fans do like to play favourites when it comes to criticism and praise.

GCBRONCO said:
And this is why people can't expect loyality from players, especially when they turn on a player within less then a season who has worked hard for the club for a number of seasons. Put his body on the line (including having serious surgery in the process just to get back onto the football field) doing what has been asked of him from his club and getting criticised as if its his fault for playing at 5/8th. I know several more highly rated forwards and not to mention other positions in the squad who escape criticism here because of their reputation who have been just as guilty of underperforming if not more so, but then certain type of fans do like to play favourites when it comes to criticism and praise.

It's not like they read this though, and it's not like they should care and make it affect their careers. Every player will have fans and haters wherever they go. If it affects them that much, they should just quit, or else they need to get over it.

It's not like they read this though, and it's not like they should care and make it affect their careers. Every player will have fans and haters wherever they go. If it affects them that much, they should just quit, or else they need to get over it.

Except I wasn't talking about how the players would feel about it.....I'm sure for Stagg and other players its water off a ducks back even if they did. I was talking more in general the double standards people have towards players in their expectations and how quickly they are to turn on them, not how the players themselves would feel about that.

GCBRONCO said:

Except I wasn't talking about how the players would feel about it.....I'm sure for Stagg and other players its water off a ducks back even if they did. I was talking more in general the double standards people have towards players in their expectations and how quickly they are to turn on them, not how the players themselves would feel about that.

Yeah ok, but why would it affect their loyalty? You said we can't expect loyalty from our players because of this...

Alec said:
GCBRONCO said:

Yeah ok, but why would it affect their loyalty? You said we can't expect loyalty from our players because of this...

fans expect loyality from players then when they hit a rough patch turn on them(particularly when it comes to their non favourites), they want it both ways and clubs are much the same in that approach too, its often the players criticised as being unloyal when they sign elsewhere but clubs and fans can be just as unloyal towards them too. You can't expect something your not willing to give, if Stagg feels his future better lies elsewhere then good luck to him, I'd rather he be somewhere he would be appreciated.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.