Ben Hannant First Of Broncos Exodus

S

Smithdom

BRL Player
Mar 18, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 89,00.html

THE expected exodus from the Broncos' stable is under way, but it is the cashed-up Bulldogs, not Wayne Bennett's Dragons, who have landed the most telling blow.

There had been widespread hysteria that players would flock to follow Bennett to St George Illawarra next season, but the big money on offer at Belmore was what drew prop Ben Hannant – the one off-contract Bronco the club desperately wanted to retain.

Hannant, who made his Origin debut for Queensland last week, confirmed yesterday he will join the Bulldogs on a three-year deal worth close to $350,000 a season.

Damn, this is not what I wanted to hear!

However it means we should be able to throw some more money at Ennis to stay.

Then again the Bulldogs will end up with him too most likely [icon_non [icon_non [icon_non

What is going on at the club right now eusa_think [eusa_doh [icon_shru

So all up (according to the article) we're set to lose Hannant, Ennis, Stagg and Boyd (Carroll aswell) and gain Folau. Isreal's on a very decent contract, but it still doesn't add up. There's also another notable departure that is likely to occur next year. That's 5 of our starting 13 gone. It'll be interesting to see if any surprising announcements of a positive nature pop up before all our player movement hysteria ends for the year. One can only hope.

I reckon hannant is good, he's not $350,000/ season good though. Good luck to him and kudos for securing such a good deal with the Bulldogs. We can live without Stagg and Moon, losing either Ennis or Boyd would be crazy, to lose both would just be blatant insanity. Boyd and Ennis are our leading point scorers, Boyd making the most ground, the most tries and most line breaks. Ennis being the best goal kicker and giving the best service at dummy half in years.
Something is very wrong with a club that allows their best performers to not be re-signed, and allow under performers such as Clinton to stay.
The players have to have drug testing, its about time Bruno and the board also have to undergo drug testing, a psych evaluation probably wouldnt go astray either

the only time i hear Boyds name is a "oh and boyds leaving to" i think his name may be one just thrown in by the media to make matters look worse. i dont think his going anywhere

Sigh- I know it's all rumours but it still doesn't sit well with me. It pains me to see someone like Ennis who we stuck by through his season-ending injury and nurse him back to career best form, just to jump ship down south.

I really hope this isn't the case, but my faith in humanity begs to differ.

So Sydney clubs are struggling to make ends meet and our players wanna go there.

Hannant. youll now only play 3 sell out games a year max

Loyalty is fine. But playing for nothing to repay loyalty is stupidity. I don't blame Ennis if the Broncos aren't offering a decent wage to stay.

This situation is worrying, and I don't think the exodus is entirely Israel's fault. I don't think it's all salary cap either. I think there is some backlash for Bennett leaving, and perhaps his treatment by the club. That's just a guess, I've heard nothing to back that up.

That said, I'd be surprised if we lost ALL the players they're talking about.

every team in sydney is suppose to be in debt and the Broncos are ther 1's losing all the guys.

We need to start offering some guys some big pay checks when Locky leaves.

If there wasn't a salary cap the Broncos wouldn't be losing anyone. They have way more paying power than Sydney clubs. That's the salary cap for ya.

Boyd should have been a priority imo...... pretty big player turnover in the last 2-3 seasons 10+players leaving.....

so the only way the salary cap works is by allowing sydney clubs to still have a chance

I wonder how much this is going to affect this years psyche, a number of our players already signed with clubs for next year and our coach already doing busniess of the dragons!

Hi darlings. New forum I see, what a hassle having to re-register to bring you the (bad) news!

I can confirm this article is 100% correct. There are at least 7 and possibly as many as 10 players in the current squad who will be in different colours next year.

As the article said Ennis, Boyd, Stagg and Carroll are gone.

I will name another 2 that are definitely gone in a few hours. I just want to check with my sources before I name them. I can not reveal who those sources are, but they are very VERY reliable.

Frank the Tank said:
everyone says that folau is the reason people are leaving - how much do you think carrol is on? Frank reckons hes on at least $300k a year, so he pretty much is a direct swap for folau.

cant see why theyre telling boyd to leave though, Frank has been critical of him in the past but the last 2 years he has improved dramatically and Frank actually likes him.

hooray for stagg leaving though.

Agreed.

Going to be a lean year for us in 09, all things considered. Meh, had to come sooner or later.

Broncos had a contingency to offer Hannant enough to stay. Rumoured package offered was $250K.

They now have to back pedal. They were prepared to release a player to free up the cash.

The Goss Boss said:
Broncos had a contingency to offer Hannant enough to stay. Rumoured package offered was $250K.

IMO: That is all he is worth.

Glad they didn't go overboard.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.