Ben Hannant First Of Broncos Exodus

Yep, seems to me like he's a classic mercenary. So is Folau...hmmm, wonder if that's a trait of Mormons?

By the way, nothing WRONG with chasing the money either.

I think Folau genuinely justs wants to move back to Brissie for family reasons, I don't think we would have offered him that much more than the Storm were.

Coxy said:
Yep, seems to me like he's a classic mercenary. So is Folau...hmmm, wonder if that's a trait of Mormons?

My main concern with people chasing money is that sometimes, the player owes the club to an extent. A club can give so much more to a player than just money- lifestyle, representative offers, faith while injured, faith while out of form. Some clubs arn't as forgiving as the Broncos and I think personally that players should take a step back and have a look at the bigger picture.

mal said:
Coxy said:

My main concern with people chasing money is that sometimes, the player owes the club to an extent. A club can give so much more to a player than just money- lifestyle, representative offers, faith while injured, faith while out of form. Some clubs arn't as forgiving as the Broncos and I think personally that players should take a step back and have a look at the bigger picture.

I agree, but issues like this with players shown the door in mass numbers will make people doubt those intangibles about the Broncos.

Very true, tough times ahead it would seem. Henjak really needs to instill the family culture that the Broncos are so well-known for..

next year will be crucial for further signings. if we go great then players will come here because of what the club offers but also because of a winning coach and legends like langer/webcke there.

Frank the Tank said:
Frank hates this 'family culture' the Broncos seem to love so much - its whats allowed nuffies like Stagg, Perry and McGuire to be in the first grade team every week instead of much more talented players. be a good bloke to wayne, send him a christmas card and invite him round for dinner every few weeks and you get to play first grade regardless of how bad a player you are.

You are so short sighted! Every team needs nuffies (although I do believe that your nuffies, are actualyl good solid players), if we have a team full of super-stars we would blow out our cap. Use your head. Again, I reiterate.. we need players like Stagg & McGuire.. sure not flash but hey do all the small things right on MULTIPLE positions on the field. Especially good when we need experienced campaigners to stick do a game-plan and not make mistakes.

Go watch the razzle dazzle of NBA.. clearly your expectations of a league side cannot be met.

It's the "family culture" you hate that allows us to keep half our stars and pay them under what they are worth. For someone who hates alot about the Broncos I sure find it hard to believe you are actually a fan.

Frank the Tank said:
Frank hates this 'family culture' the Broncos seem to love so much - its whats allowed nuffies like Stagg, Perry and McGuire to be in the first grade team every week instead of much more talented players. be a good bloke to wayne, send him a christmas card and invite him round for dinner every few weeks and you get to play first grade regardless of how bad a player you are.

Agree with this. The biggest benefit to be derived from Bennett leaving is that we do not have to tolerate his favourites making the side each week when their performances do not warrant it.

Frank the Tank said:
dont need a team of superstars, didnt say anything of the sort - just that being mates with the coach shouldnt get you picked in a team over someone more talented.

Talent means sfa if you havn't got a level head and the discipline to play in the NRL (ala Hodges at the time of his Origin Debut). NRL isn't kiddies footy.

Frank the Tank said:
seriously, how many matches has Stagg played at 5/8th this year? if its more than 0, which it definitely is, it shows just how much Bennett favours certain players. hes even played a match or 10 on the wing or in the centres IIRC - probably not the best idea considering hes got no pace, no fend, and no ball skills.

Go watch the 2006 Grand Final when he played in the centres. Again... (and I am getting sick of fucking saying it) Having players like Stagg who offer you stability and can stick to a gameplan (without being flashy) is extremely valuable! Go ask ANY NRL coach if they would take Stagg. Coaches appreciate what he can offer... you are the only one that doesn't seem to.

mal said:
Frank the Tank said:
dont need a team of superstars, didnt say anything of the sort - just that being mates with the coach shouldnt get you picked in a team over someone more talented.

Talent means sfa if you havn't got a level head and the discipline to play in the NRL (ala Hodges at the time of his Origin Debut). NRL isn't kiddies footy.

[quote="Frank the Tank":2hgqh33d]seriously, how many matches has Stagg played at 5/8th this year? if its more than 0, which it definitely is, it shows just how much Bennett favours certain players. hes even played a match or 10 on the wing or in the centres IIRC - probably not the best idea considering hes got no pace, no fend, and no ball skills.

Go watch the 2006 Grand Final when he played in the centres. Again... (and I am getting sick of fucking saying it) Having players like Stagg who offer you stability and can stick to a gameplan (without being flashy) is extremely valuable! Go ask ANY NRL coach if they would take Stagg. Coaches appreciate what he can offer... you are the only one that doesn't seem to.[/quote:2hgqh33d]

What about players like Stagg who are supposed to be defensive workhorses yet are very ordinary at tackling? Are those players appreciated?

Frank the Tank said:
mal said:
Go watch the 2006 Grand Final when he played in the centres. Again... (and I am getting sick of fucking saying it) Having players like Stagg who offer you stability and can stick to a gameplan (without being flashy) is extremely valuable! Go ask ANY NRL coach if they would take Stagg. Coaches appreciate what he can offer... you are the only one that doesn't seem to.
there are plenty of players who offer stability and can stick to a gameplan that arent completely cod ordinary in every aspect of their game.

obviously not too many coaches in the NRL want stagg since it looks like hes going to England at the ripe old age of 24 _woohoo_

Heh. Obviously not wanted.. just like Harris, Lauititi and a few others who went over there pretty young? I'd say fielding $150k offers from NRL clubs and $400k offers from SL clubs is more about a financial decision than being "not wanted". It's no secret a few clubs are interested in Stagg, but if I was being offered that kind of coin in the UK I reckon I'd move too.

Yep, and because he's an average kind of player, not flashy, he'll never command more than $150K in Australia, so it makes perfect sense to go overseas and make some good coin, then settle back home when he's done.

Frank the Tank said:

I agree with you. We have let a lot of players go in past years and have kept a lot of crap. Some players have had more chances then they deserve.

It would not be a bad idea to have a coach that doesn't have a "fatherly" influence. Players already have a father, the coach doesn't need to be another one.

Players like Cameron Smith came to the Broncos first, was there a reason we didn't take him? Considering we have had hooker problems for years?

mal said:
Is that a serious post????

Sure is. He offers very little with the ball apart from the occassional ordinary hit up, making him primarily a defensive player. He is leading the club in ineffective tackles and second behind Wallace in missed tackleas. Hardly quality material.

broncosil said:
Players like Cameron Smith came to the Broncos first, was there a reason we didn't take him? Considering we have had hooker problems for years?

My understanding is that's a myth. The Broncos never seriously looked at him. He was playing halfback in his youth as well remember, not hooker. He just wanted to come to the Broncos, but nobody around him let the Broncos know they should have a squiz.

When Cyril Connell was in his prime, he wouldn't have slipped through the cracks. But if he had've been spotted he'd probably be an average halfback at the moment, not a top flight hooker.

He should count his blessings.

robbie mustoe said:
mal said:
Is that a serious post????

Sure is. He offers very little with the ball apart from the occassional ordinary hit up, making him primarily a defensive player. He is leading the club in ineffective tackles and second behind Wallace in missed tackleas. Hardly quality material.

Now do it in comparison to tackles made.. then give me the numbers

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.