Ben Hunt is being groomed to be the Broncos’ next captain

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/ben-hunt-is-being-groomed-to-be-the-broncos-next-captain/story-fniabm4i-1227211532230

Justin Hodges is favoured to oust Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker when Wayne Bennett installs his skipper for 2015 before the season opener against Souths on March 5.
But with Hodges and Parker turning 33 this season and Thaiday on the verge of his 30th birthday, Bennett has a succession plan in place and Hunt heads the list.

Hunt was unproven as an NRL halfback a year ago but his outstanding 2014 season, coupled with his application at Brisbane’s pre-season military camp, convinced Bennett of his leadership capabilities.
He was recently added to the leadership group of Hodges, Thaiday, Parker, Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett.

The Broncos’ captaincy is considered one of the most prestigious appointments in Australian sport. Only 11 players have skippered the club, headlined by Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Kevin Walters, Allan Langer, Gorden Tallis and Darren Lockyer.
While Hunt lacks the football portfolio of those greats, at 24 he has the potential to stamp his mark on the club and be Brisbane’s most promising leader since Lockyer.
Walters, the Broncos assistant coach who led Brisbane to the 2000 premiership, said the quietly-spoken Hunt was quickly earning the respect of his peers.

“There’s a few young guys coming through with leadership qualities and I see it in Ben,’’ Walters said. “Leadership isn’t just what you do on the field, but off it as well.
“ When no one is watching, that’s when you need to be a good leader.
“Wayne watched a bit of Ben during the pre-season camp and he was quite impressed through all of that.
“Ben really showed some leadership qualities on that camp that opened our eyes.
“Clubs build success, in particular, around long-term halves and Ben certainly has that longevity in him to take the club forward.’’
Hunt, 25 next month, has navigated a rocky path to the Broncos’ No. 7 jumper. An under-20s star, he struggled with the professional demands at NRL level.

He hit rock bottom three years ago when he was locked up in the city watch-house after being arrested following a boozy night out with Broncos teammate Andrew McCullough. Today, Hunt has overhauled his off-field approach.
He drinks alcohol less and has stripped 2kg in pre-season, ensuring he will start the new campaign in the best shape of his career.
Hunt says his captaincy ambitions are on the backburner for now, but the Queensland Origin hopeful can see the merit of an honour that once seemed beyond him.
“At the moment I need another good season and if that happens, one day it might take care of itself,” Hunt said.
“Certainly, I feel I have some leadership in my make-up. Being a halfback, you need to have some leadership ability, although to be a captain I feel I have a long way to go.”

Walters, who knows a thing or two about playmaking ability, says Hunt has only scratched the surface of his talent.
“There is so much untapped talent there,” he said.
“Last year was his breakout year, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the greater expectation.
“There’s a lot more expected from him this year, so to be a leader you need to handle that sort of stuff, handling responsibility while improving yourself and the team.
“The great players get to another level.”

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
He'll certainly deserve it. The loyalty he has shown to the club in spite of all this junk with him on the bench will be the stuff of legend one day

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'm certainly much more optimistic about his future than McCullough's, even though he's still got a long way to go. Not sure what Gillett is doing on that list though.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I'm certainly much more optimistic about his future than McCullough's, even though he's still got a long way to go. Not sure what Gillett is doing on that list though.

He's an international rep player, starts every week, is hitting that late-twenties "mature" bracket and also has been at the club for the past 5 years. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if he is one of the more popular players at the club

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Gillett has been showing some leadership at training. Perhaps he has impressed Bennett.

Last edited:
U

Unbiased Nostalgia

NYC Player
Jan 23, 2015
Indeed, reckon Gillett would go alright as captain, just a hunch.

Unread

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • Dee
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Skathen
  • Alec
  • upthebroncs
  • The True King
  • BooKhaki
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Canga
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.