NEWS Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

I don't think that is the case. He stressed the responsibilities have not been figured out yet but stressed that everything in the football department will be a joint responsibility between him, Kevvie and Donuts. The impression I get is Donuts is going to make sure that the clusterfuck of the last few years doesn't happen again. People will get input and rope but if you want to do something stupid Big Dick Dave will stop it.
He's not sure of the roles and responsibilities because they are restructuring the football department and he hasn't actually started the role yet. He'll have an idea of what his roles are but he wont be fully across everything he's doing just yet, and he probably doesnt want to blurt out anything on TV to 3 of the biggest gossip queens in NSWRL media

It was stated in DD's quotes that the role of a football manager has changed and there was too much given to Nolan.... they're not going to go out and hire a rookie administrator to then give him more roles to do.

The type of role you're referring to is the one that Gould did for the Panthers and Roosters that oversees the coaching and football department (basically oversees the entire football arm of the organisation)... it would be the role that some have wanted Bennett or Bellamy to come in and do.

If they were bringing Ikin in to do that role they probably dont sack Nolan, because it would be Ikin's job to come in, conduct a review and sack whoever he didn't want.

What you're suggesting would be like saying Ponissi has the authority to sack Bellamy... he doesnt, he works in conjunction with Bellamy and both of them report to the CEO... that is what Ikin is referring to when he says that he, Walters and DD will be working closely together to fix the football department... not forgetting that the Broncos CEO is in the R&R committee along with the GM of football and the coach

Ikin and Kevvie will be at the same level from an organisation chart perspective, but Nolan and Kevvie were also at the same level.

He's not sure of the roles and responsibilities because they are restructuring the football department and he hasn't actually started the role yet. He'll have an idea of what his roles are but he wont be fully across everything he's doing just yet, and he probably doesnt want to blurt out anything on TV to 3 of the biggest gossip queens in NSWRL media

It was stated in DD's quotes that the role of a football manager has changed and there was too much given to Nolan.... they're not going to go out and hire a rookie administrator to then give him more roles to do.

The type of role you're referring to is the one that Gould did for the Panthers and Roosters that oversees the coaching and football department (basically oversees the entire football arm of the organisation)... it would be the role that some have wanted Bennett or Bellamy to come in and do.

If they were bringing Ikin in to do that role they probably dont sack Nolan, because it would be Ikin's job to come in, conduct a review and sack whoever he didn't want.

It would be like saying Ponissi has the authority to sack Bellamy... he doesnt, he works in conjunction with Bellamy and both of them report to the CEO... that is what Ikin is referring to when he says that he, Walters and DD will be working closely together to fix the football department... not forgetting that the Broncos CEO is in the R&R committee along with the GM of football and the coach

Ikin and Kevvie will be at the same level from an organisation chart perspective, but Nolan and Kevvie were also at the same level.
Huh? The role I am talking about? I didn't talk about any role, I literally repeated what Ikin said on 360 last night when asked about his role. Also what I had repeated is nothing like what Gould's role was at the Panthers, did you reply to the right post?

Ikin isn’t qualified to be CEO or Football Manager of the Brisbane Broncos in reality.

Dave Donaghy is qualified to be CEO. Hence why he got the job. Had been CEO of the Melbourne Storm for 8 years and was successful performing that role. Ikin applying for the CEO role was a bit delusional but speaks to his self confidence I guess.

Ikin hasn’t really done the ground work at all to be Football Manager. He’s been on TV for a decade and done some directorship stuff which isn’t day to day running of a football club.

Ikin has got the job because he is high profile. Nothing more, nothing less.

I sincerely hope he is successful though.

It would be like saying Ponissi has the authority to sack Bellamy... he doesnt, he works in conjunction with Bellamy and both of them report to the CEO... that is what Ikin is referring to when he says that he, Walters and DD will be working closely together to fix the football department... not forgetting that the Broncos CEO is in the R&R committee along with the GM of football and the coach

that's the way it should be, but that is not what was said on nrl360, it sounds like it's still up in the air atm.

I actually thought it was a gee up when i got a text about it yesterday.

Not sure how i feel. History tells me it needs to be someone else, maybe older and more experienced in the role. Yet the flip side, he is smart and young enough, yet old enough to have a good relation to do deals with players.

GM style role still is on the table also. Ikin filling Nolans shoes isn't a bad thing if a GM does come in.

It'll be Ikin's job to find out.... maybe they'll just shoot him off to the GC suns???
Give him a concession Go Card with enough funds on it for a one way trip to Robina as a severance package.

I actually thought it was a gee up when i got a text about it yesterday.

Not sure how i feel. History tells me it needs to be someone else, maybe older and more experienced in the role. Yet the flip side, he is smart and young enough, yet old enough to have a good relation to do deals with players.

GM style role still is on the table also. Ikin filling Nolans shoes isn't a bad thing if a GM does come in.
Bunn

Ikin isn’t qualified to be CEO or Football Manager of the Brisbane Broncos in reality.

Dave Donaghy is qualified to be CEO. Hence why he got the job. Had been CEO of the Melbourne Storm for 8 years and was successful performing that role. Ikin applying for the CEO role was a bit delusional but speaks to his self confidence I guess.

Ikin hasn’t really done the ground work at all to be Football Manager. He’s been on TV for a decade and done some directorship stuff which isn’t day to day running of a football club.

Ikin has got the job because he is high profile. Nothing more, nothing less.

I sincerely hope he is successful though.

That's interesting, I am just curious what sort of role makes you an ideal candidate to be a football manager if you've never actually held the role before?

A head coach? I can't really think of another role that holds you in good stead for it.

That's interesting, I am just curious what sort of role makes you an ideal candidate to be a football manager if you've never actually held the role before?

A head coach? I can't really think of another role that holds you in good stead for it.

Involved with an NRL club in a full time capacity.

Ikin couldn’t even answer what he would be actually doing at the Broncos on 360. Didn’t have any sort of vision.

Ikin couldn’t even answer what he would be actually doing at the Broncos on 360. Didn’t have any sort of vision.
When the role isn't clear what vision can he explain?

He said the role has yet to be defined and then outlined how he sees the importance of everyone being in alignment as being paramount.

If you don’t think that Ikin is a good appointment that’s cool, but stop making up things to support that view.

He did, he said him, Donuts and Kevvie will be making sure they are all in alignment and that alignment is club wide and that they are all pointing in the right direction but he won't know what the direction specifically is until he 'gets his feet under the table' which is a legit answer and does highlight the first part of the vision is harmony and working together to the same goal, success across the club and especially on the field. Pretty clear for a guy who hasn't yet started the job.

He did, he said him, Donuts and Kevvie will be making sure they are all in alignment and that alignment is club wide and that they are all pointing in the right direction but he won't know what the direction specifically is until he 'gets his feet under the table' which is a legit answer and does highlight the first part of the vision is harmony and working together to the same goal, success across the club and especially on the field. Pretty clear for a guy who hasn't yet started the job.
I don't think they really gave him a chance to go into much detail, too busy cracking jokes about who will replace him on the show.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • HarryAllan7
  • bert_lifts
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.