-NEWS- Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

Mustafur

NRL Player
Jun 13, 2019
Threads
At least he’ll know how to handle the media a wee better than his predecessor. Mind you Nolan kept a very low profile, so will Ikin choose to stay in the background?

Lets see if his ego comes before the club.
I don't think having a high or low profile while doing this job will effect it, Gould was doing a similar role at Penrith and everyone and their dog knew what he was doing there and it worked well.

All that will matter is if he is competent in the role.

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
Wayne Bennett will be having a fit.
How could you tell?
Well, at least it's not an un-fireable board position.
Anyone on the board can be fired. You just have to get Mick Jagger’s daughter’s stepdad’s blessing.

7E9A8D76-DA49-45AC-8969-CB9D83483618.jpeg

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
Threads
I agreed with everything he said last week on 360, and thought it was weird he was being passionate about us rather than condescending. I see why now. will be good if it works.
one of Locky‘s best mates, for whatever good or bad that is.
Also him and Lockyer are very close to Paul Green. Watch your back Kevvie!

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Threads
I like this! He was very close to being the right guy for the big job. D.D had him covered but to bring Ikin on board in this capacity is a very smart move. I love this big broom pushing through the joint. It was the only way to make changes. I don’t give a **** that we aren’t winning games, tonight I’m happy as **** because we’re on our way back. **** yeah

Muros

BRL Player
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
I think you’re reading too much into it. Can’t see us sacking Walters this year or next. We’re going to need him for the rebuild.
Are you being serious ?
What, exactly, does Kev offer for a rebuild ?
Talent identification (like Reece Walsh ?) ?
A pre disposition to do a global search and find, funnily enough, the ideal candidiate just happens to have the surname Walters ?
He can't possibly last until the end of next year if we keep getting dusted by 20+ (40+?) every week (which appears likely).

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Are you being serious ?
What, exactly, does Kev offer for a rebuild ?
Talent identification (like Reece Walsh ?) ?
A pre disposition to do a global search and find, funnily enough, the ideal candidiate just happens to have the surname Walters ?
He can't possibly last until the end of next year if we keep getting dusted by 20+ (40+?) every week (which appears likely).
Martyrdom

Poor Kevy gets to be the hatchet man until the squad is fixed and he gets immediately sacked for Green.

nopatience101

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Interesting that Ikin said his responsibilities were yet to be fully nutted out. I would find it odd for someone with even less experience than Kevvie to be determining who his coaching staff should be. It made it sound like it could be a broader role than what Nolan had.

BroncosFever

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
It's a good addition to the club, it's hard to know who is and isn't going to be a good signing for the club in the role he is taking up but just as someone who watches NRL360 most night he's usually pretty accurate with his views on certain things.

BroncosFever

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
I've got to admire the brilliance of this as a '**** you' to Wayne.

I don't mind it, I know what Wayne brings and if he were at the club we'd probably be in the 8 but it's only a stop gap fix with Wayne, he's getting on these days and he wouldn't have that long left in him

We can't rely on a supercoach forever

nopatience101

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Didn’t badel write a couple of days ago that the broncos would formally advertise for a new GM of football next week?

I would prefer to believe that it’s been in the works for a while and it was part of the “plan”.

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
Didn’t badel write a couple of days ago that the broncos would formally advertise for a new GM of football next week?

I would prefer to believe that it’s been in the works for a while and it was part of the “plan”.
He did, but it was framed as "News Corp understands" with a bunch of bullet points. Which is a bit like saying "we're being told this, and we're obliged to relay it, but don't blame us if it's wrong."

Normally you wouldn't pay much attention to this lead-in but in this case News Corp is the majority shareholder. It's an interesting construction in this light. He's saying this is what the CEO has told shareholders.

In reality, it's quite possible they've all known about this for weeks, but have been embargoed.

It might also be an outright white lie to give the impression of doing due diligence in the job search process but actually having Ikin earmarked for a place at the club since right back when he failed to get the CEO job.

I'm just making all this up, but this isn't your average slow news day puff piece.

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2008
Threads
He did, but it was framed as "News Corp understands" with a bunch of bullet points. Which is a bit like saying "we're being told this, and we're obliged to relay it, but don't blame us if it's wrong."

Normally you wouldn't pay much attention to this lead-in but in this case News Corp is the majority shareholder. It's an interesting construction in this light. He's saying this is what the CEO has told shareholders.

In reality, it's quite possible they've all known about this for weeks, but have been embargoed.

It might also be an outright white lie to give the impression of doing due diligence in the job search process but actually having Ikin earmarked for a place at the club since right back when he failed to get the CEO job.

I'm just making all this up, but this isn't your average slow news day puff piece.
He (Ikin) clearly must have presented really well in the interviews for the CEO position (indeed the rumour for quite a while was that he had the job), so maybe they had earmarked him for a role somewhere in the organisation.

Team P W L PD Pts
19 17 2 465 36
19 16 3 305 34
19 16 3 231 34
19 13 6 189 28
19 13 6 146 28
18 11 7 151 24
18 8 10 -40 18
19 8 11 -82 18
19 8 11 -82 18
19 8 11 -147 18
18 7 11 -52 16
19 6 13 -129 14
19 6 13 -152 14
19 6 13 -226 14
19 5 14 -247 12
18 2 16 -330 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lazza

Members online

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.