NEWS Ben Ikin puts his **** on the block

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
By now you all know Ben Ikin has formally applied to be the next CEO of the Broncos. You know who he is. You know who his father-in-law is. And you probably know they're not currently on speaking terms. Here's what he has to say for himself:

“I’m confident I can do the job but there will be some very impressive resumes that come in. While I’d love to get the job, more than anything I want to see someone land in the role that can get the Broncos back to their best. I don’t expect or want an easy path. I wanted to be tested against other quality candidates and will be in there with a million other dreamers. I just want the Broncos to end up with the best candidate. I hope that’s me, but if it’s not I hope they get someone that can do a really good job.”

“I’ve got a commercial background in sales and marketing and in the construction industry in senior commercial roles. I was GM of commercial at the Gold Coast Titans so I know and understand the commercial drivers of an NRL club. I understand as a publicly listed company, there are going to be some gaps in my skill set, but I’m confident from an industry perspective I know and understand both sides of the business extremely well. From the moment I walked through the doors in Brisbane, and got a feel for the culture and how they went about their business, I knew I was part of something special. That’s what’s defined the club for a long period of time. "

31753206 0 image a 2 1597013620452

The Broncos: one big happy family

"I wasn’t around to see it but you hear the stories about the standards ‘Porky’ (Paul) Morgan and the founders expected of the place and how Wayne Bennett built that football program. That’s still in the walls there. I know they’re struggling but this is a club that’s famous around the world.”

“The truth of it is until you get inside the four walls and have a really close look at how the business is operating it’s hard to make a really strong assessment. Talking as the host of a magazine show is very different to making an assessment as the potential CEO. You go in, have a look around, talk to everyone who works in the football department, including the coach, ask tough questions and have tough conversations. Only then can you make a real judgement."

“What you thought was the coach’s problem might actually be an issue somewhere else in that system.”

You won't need to worry about that one.

McHunt

wonder if he had any input into TPJs sacking..?.....just saying...??

By now you all know Ben Ikin has formally applied to be the next CEO of the Broncos. You know who he is. You know who his father-in-law is. And you probably know they're not currently on speaking terms. Here's what he has to say for himself:

“I’m confident I can do the job but there will be some very impressive resumes that come in. While I’d love to get the job, more than anything I want to see someone land in the role that can get the Broncos back to their best. I don’t expect or want an easy path. I wanted to be tested against other quality candidates and will be in there with a million other dreamers. I just want the Broncos to end up with the best candidate. I hope that’s me, but if it’s not I hope they get someone that can do a really good job.”

“I’ve got a commercial background in sales and marketing and in the construction industry in senior commercial roles. I was GM of commercial at the Gold Coast Titans so I know and understand the commercial drivers of an NRL club. I understand as a publicly listed company, there are going to be some gaps in my skill set, but I’m confident from an industry perspective I know and understand both sides of the business extremely well. From the moment I walked through the doors in Brisbane, and got a feel for the culture and how they went about their business, I knew I was part of something special. That’s what’s defined the club for a long period of time. "

View attachment 9306
The Broncos: one big happy family

"I wasn’t around to see it but you hear the stories about the standards ‘Porky’ (Paul) Morgan and the founders expected of the place and how Wayne Bennett built that football program. That’s still in the walls there. I know they’re struggling but this is a club that’s famous around the world.”

“The truth of it is until you get inside the four walls and have a really close look at how the business is operating it’s hard to make a really strong assessment. Talking as the host of a magazine show is very different to making an assessment as the potential CEO. You go in, have a look around, talk to everyone who works in the football department, including the coach, ask tough questions and have tough conversations. Only then can you make a real judgement."

“What you thought was the coach’s problem might actually be an issue somewhere else in that system.”

You won't need to worry about that one.

McHunt
Yeh last line was a killer.

I’m all for this! at least he knows footy, you know, the thing that the broncos do....well used too.

Ben Ikin is a commentator - has he done anything with respect to either managing a sporting club or business at any stage?

Role is too big for him.

Well I’ve just heard him speak on NRL360 and I’ve gotta say, I’ve heard a greater sense of direction, certainty of conviction, and genuine analysis than I ever heard out of Paul White or Bruno Cullen’s mouths.

The man would get my vote. Give him the job tomorrow as far as I’m concerned.

Phenomenal and he would win over the old boys and get stuff done. Yep, announce it tomorrow along with the coach's sacking and watch the good times roll!

Phenomenal and he would win over the old boys and get stuff done. Yep, announce it tomorrow along with the coach's sacking and watch the good times roll!
I think it’ll be some time before the ‘good times roll’ but I think Ikin made an absolutely spot on point that the time for action was a month ago, and until they pull those triggers they’re only delaying progress on getting us closer to those good times again.

A month ago I may have accepted waiting until the season’s end, but the complete fucking of the Fifita contract, and the last two weeks of absolute toxicity has made waiting another couple of months simply unacceptable and a luxury that just cannot be afforded anymore.

I'm a bit more comfortable with Ikin after hearing about his commercial background, because like it or not, the business side of things is one important part of the role (it's not the only important part, but it is nonetheless important)

i like that he acknowledges gaps in his skill set, so hopefully if he gets the job he is smart enough to put the right people around him to make up for those gaps.

but even he doesn't come out and say he will be saking Seibold (if that is peoples biggest reason for wanting Ikin), he even goes as far as to say that he isn't sure this is all Seibolds fault until he got inside the organisation, ti find out what is going on.

what he doesn't say is that he still would need the board (which will remain the same, at least until the next elections whenever they are) to authorise Seibolds sacking. it would be fairly easy for Ikin to convince them given our poor season.

my one remaining concern is that should Seibold get sacked, the Ikin would be able to convince the board to give his good mate Paul Green a job, (probably would be easier than expected since Lockyer is also mates with Green)

I'm a bit more comfortable with Ikin after hearing about his commercial background, because like it or not, the business side of things is one important part of the role (it's not the only important part, but it is nonetheless important)

i like that he acknowledges gaps in his skill set, so hopefully if he gets the job he is smart enough to put the right people around him to make up for those gaps.

but even he doesn't come out and say he will be saking Seibold (if that is peoples biggest reason for wanting Ikin), he even goes as far as to say that he isn't sure this is all Seibolds fault until he got inside the organisation, ti find out what is going on.

what he doesn't say is that he still would need the board (which will remain the same, at least until the next elections whenever they are) to authorise Seibolds sacking. it would be fairly easy for Ikin to convince them given our poor season.

my one remaining concern is that should Seibold get sacked, the Ikin would be able to convince the board to give his good mate Paul Green a job, (probably would be easier than expected since Lockyer is also mates with Green)
If he has gaps in his commercial skill set then the club can comfortably afford to hire people to plug some of those gaps, much like they could if the gaps were in his footballing knowledge, although they’d have a much larger pool of people to choose from in the commercial world, so I think if anything it makes having a sound football background a bigger priority than the other way around.

I for one welcome our new Ikin Overlords. Lines up nicely for a Bennett scouting role in five years Cyril style.

Ikin and Bennett don't get on anymore. there would need to be some serious work done to repair the damage

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.